Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Souls

Old 08-20-2012, 07:30 PM   #1
FJheals

Can someone explain how the Co-op mode works

Hello,
I haven't really read much about the game, I did see some gameplay footage and immediately fell in love with the game.

Now my friend just bought the game not too long ago from steam, and we were wondering if you could play the whole game with a partner or is it just boss encounters?

Thanks

Also this is my PC specs :
CPU: AMD Phenom x6 3.2ghz
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6850 PowerColor 1GB DDR5
RAM: 8GM RAM
Will be playing on 1080 screen.

Think I could run this on decently?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
Ulfr09

You join a covenant. Either the Way of White or Warriors of Sunlight. Once you join you can find a summon stone, activate it to summon up to two players from another game.

If you want to be summoned place your summon stone somewhere. Either infront of the boss area, or near a bonfire, or wherever.
Ulfr09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
xNonox

Just a correction from Ulfr09's post, you don't have to join any covenant to enable co-op. They may make it more likely for signs to show up on the ground, but it isn't even confirmed.
xNonox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 09:47 PM   #4
Omocho

it's confirmed that covenants do increase your likelihood of finding signs from people in your same covenant. That was one of the primary points of them.

However playing with friends specifically is a bit of a hassle since online is basically split into "channels" that you automatically join. So you might start up the game and go into channel 1, and then your buddy starts up the game and is put into channel 3.
You can try to sync your channels by logging in at the same time but even that is a little difficult to do. Plus your buddies gain no progress story wise from following you around AFAIR (don't quote me on that one though).

The devs did that on purpose. They didn't want this to be a true coop experience. The world is supposed to feel very lonely...or something, I forgot what they were going for exactly.
Omocho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:56 PM   #5
BemaniAK

Namco confirmed the PC version will have "some form of matchmaking" as well as the traditional soul signs and invasions, inviting friends to your game is a distinct possibility.
BemaniAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #6
dannythefool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omocho View Post
Plus your buddies gain no progress story wise from following you around AFAIR (don't quote me on that one though).
You can be quoted on this one. You'd have to play through each part twice. Your buddy may gain covenant benefits from helping you, if he's in the right covenant.
dannythefool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #7
b3nje909

For Xbox when it first came out... It was difficult to be on the same sever as your mates to co-op.

So usually, u find an obscure corner, and the player helping, lays down a white summon sign.
It would slowly shift through the 7 servers (apparently, it was never confirmed to my knowledge) until the player needing help saw it..

It was a very hit and miss structure.. But, after a while u get the hang of it and it can work quite well.

U can tho, see faint spirits of people who are in the world at the same time as u. Usually u an tell if they are hollow or unhollow. They only last a few seconds, but can give u an indication if someone is near you..

Ppl u summon. Can not attack you.. U can onl be attacked by a fellow player if they invade you. Which can only be done y certain covenants.

Usually but, u summon another player to help with bosses, as they well suck...
b3nje909 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dark Souls