Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2012, 08:28 AM   #106
TheDarkChaplain
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 215
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletooth View Post
hey I actually stand with you on this one, everything is being compared to CoD these days. but pureobscure called AW a semi-interactive movie, which is precisely what CoD is. or Battlefield, or Homefront. these games basically put you in chains and drag you through cutscenes while letting you shoot a few targets here and there.

one might say that the same applies to AW, but there is real gameplay in it, and it doesn't restrict you like these shooters do
Just wanna add Max Payne 3 to that list of semi-interactive movies. Heck, there are videos on youtube that watered the game down into slightly above 3 hours of cutscenes with only 'necessary' story-shooting in between as transitions - and that way of presentation WORKS for Max Payne 3.

Alan Wake gives you much more freedom than that.
TheDarkChaplain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 08:32 AM   #107
Bulletooth
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 1304
Posts: 5,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkChaplain View Post
Just wanna add Max Payne 3 to that list of semi-interactive movies. Heck, there are videos on youtube that watered the game down into slightly above 3 hours of cutscenes with only 'necessary' story-shooting in between as transitions - and that way of presentation WORKS for Max Payne 3.

Alan Wake gives you much more freedom than that.
a prime example right here!

while the cutscenes in Alan Wake drive the story and connect the gameplay parts together, in Max Payne the gameplay seems to be the small parts that connect the huge, often pointless cutscenes. now Max Payne 3 is a game that I got bored of
Bulletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 11:22 AM   #108
DarthPsymon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Reputation: 125
Posts: 2,007
It now seems your argument is 'alan wake isn't boring because other games are more boring'.
DarthPsymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #109
Bulletooth
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 1304
Posts: 5,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthPsymon View Post
It now seems your argument is 'alan wake isn't boring because other games are more boring'.
first of all, we were talking about games vs interactive movies.

hey, I'll put it simple.

it's boring for some and fantastic for others. I assume it is boring for those who want fast-paced action, well AW isn't about that. it's about story and atmosphere and immersion and the original combat system, which some like and some don't - it's a given. there are people who dislike the combat but enjoy the story, others like both, some like neither.

but you can't just go ahead and state that it's boring as a fact. I've met a fair share of people who find chess boring. does that mean chess is a bad game?
Bulletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 03:20 PM   #110
DarthPsymon
 
Join Date: May 2004
Reputation: 125
Posts: 2,007
Well, good and bad is another argument altogether.

So say 'fun' and 'boring' and all that can never be fact.
Say it's all opinion.
Then what?

But to put my weak attempt at philosophy to one side, I have to shoot you down on your assumption.
"I assume it is boring for those who want fast-paced action"
Not at all.
Alan wake has action. Some of it is even fast paced. When you've got a few of the shadowy fellas throwing junk at you whilst you're trying to dodge an over sized shadowy fella who's charging straight you while you're simultaniously trying to stage at any of them long enough to weaken them enough to take a pop with whatever potato gun you're carrying, that's kinda fast paced action, no? Plenty for CoD fans here.

We say it's boring, because it is boring. I can guarantee you there are people out there who ENJOY watching paint dry. Does that mean it's not boring?

I'm glad we've all agreed that Alan Wake fell into the cash grab that is the 'semi interactive move' that near as dammit all big budget console games are (yes alan wake is a console game) nowadays.

THAT, is boring. CoD is boring. Max Payne 3 is boring. Crysis 2 is boring. The list goes on.

You remember the good old days? You old enough to remember the good old days? We got to play the game. All of the game. Start to finish. You weren't good enough? You die. Learn from that. Try again. That was fun. Now? I'm told everything I need to do. And it's easy to do. And it's afraid I have the attention span on a small child with ADHD and god knows what else so it has to shove any feeble attempt of a story down my gob just to justify it's existence.

Want to know a game that isn't boring?
Half Life
Braid
Pixel Junk Eden
Roboblitz
Beyond Good and evil
Bastion
Max Payne 1 and 2
Portal
Dead Souls

How many more not boring games do I have to give you before you realise Alan Wake is boring?
Oh, that's right, it's all opinion. There is no strict measure of 'fun' or 'boring'.
I guess this thread and all other opinion threads may as well be shut down immediately.
You heard it here first people. Keep your opinions to yourselves.

Damn I love a good rage :D
No offence intended.
DarthPsymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 04:33 PM   #111
Bulletooth
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 1304
Posts: 5,654
none taken, it's a matter of discussion.
however I'd like to point out that I never agreed that AW followed the 'interactive movie cash grab' theme. there are interactive movies and then there are interactive movies. MGS, if anything, is an interactive movie. yet it is hell of a game. all of them.

if a game is an interactive movie, that does not mean it's bad, or boring, or a cash grab. it all depends on how well the interactive elements are designed and made.
in Alan Wake the interactive elements involve exploring (even though there's not much to be found) and combat. combat, like I said, I found particularly fun: it's innovative to an extent (please do not attack this word, I by no means am trying to call it revolutionary - just original enough to stand out from the croud), and it's challenging enough to keep me on my toes and follow the very same rule you've mentioned: you're not good enough - you die.
perhaps you had to try a higher difficulty to feel the tension.

as for being told what to do - this is exactly why I played AW with interface off. and it was great of Remedy to implement the option - so that people like you and me wouldn't be offended by the handholding, while other players who may struggle with the game have their fair share of help.

of course, the combat is repetitive - I'd be a fool to deny that. but whether or not it gets boring is everyone's personal taste. I mean after all, isn't Max Payne repetitive? hell yes it is. It's doing the same thing over and over and over and over again while taking breaks to watch cutscenes. and it worked! you know why? because the story was interesting enough and the shootouts felt innovative with the whole bullet time concept. think about that for a minute.



P.S. also, give Crysis 2 another chance. first time I played through it I almost fell asleep. then i played it on Apocalyptic without crosshair and not using tactical advisor. sometimes all you need is a little challenge.
Bulletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:07 PM   #112
SpectralShade
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 168
Posts: 1,218
Is he now arguing that he dislikes the game being somewhat linear? It kind of needs to be, because of the plot dictating there is a tight limit on what will happen as written by alan wake, or Zane, or whomever :P
SpectralShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #113
DanTheKraut
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 30
Posts: 193
Finished it now after less then 10 hours and I was hoping all the time that it would get better but that was not the case.

Its just a bad mix between Resident Evil and Silent Hill and if I would had paid the full price (bought it at the deal), I would be even more disappointed.
DanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #114
Bulletooth
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 1304
Posts: 5,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheKraut View Post
Its just a bad mix between Resident Evil and Silent Hill
I'm a fan of both RE and SH and this is my expression right now.
what exactly in your view does AW have in common with these games?
Bulletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #115
DanTheKraut
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 30
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletooth View Post
I'm a fan of both RE and SH and this is my expression right now.
what exactly in your view does AW have in common with these games?
Well it has the run and gun style of the newer Resident Evil games like RE 4 (1-3 are good and Code Veronica is ok but with Resident Evil 4 it started to become a run and gun franchise) and reminds me a bit on Silent Hill from its atmosphere.

I was always missing this "wow" effect in this game!

It is just a personal opinion
DanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #116
JoseSnake
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 90
Like I said before, if you don't like the game, don't play it, just don't give the wrong idea to the devs, we want alan wake to keep everything in the sequel.
JoseSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 09:08 PM   #117
bushwhacker2k
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 23
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by rta View Post
no no nooo i'm just saying i'm sure there's a reason whyyyy, we just have to wait and see. It can't be random, how cheesy would that be? something in line with the movie Momento? I've just begun also but it can't be that ridiculous.
I was just nitpicking, I haven't developed the opinion that the game is bad or anything, worry not.
bushwhacker2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #118
Bulletooth
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Reputation: 1304
Posts: 5,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTheKraut View Post
Well it has the run and gun style of the newer Resident Evil games like RE 4 (1-3 are good and Code Veronica is ok but with Resident Evil 4 it started to become a run and gun franchise) and reminds me a bit on Silent Hill from its atmosphere.

I was always missing this "wow" effect in this game!

It is just a personal opinion
in RE4 you couldn't move while shooting and the enemies were pretty slow. and you definitely didn't have to remove light from them

as for SH atmosphere - couldn't disagree more. maybe it has something in common with Downpour, which I consider a huge step away from the franchise.
Bulletooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:40 PM   #119
DanTheKraut
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 30
Posts: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulletooth View Post
in RE4 you couldn't move while shooting and the enemies were pretty slow. and you definitely didn't have to remove light from them

as for SH atmosphere - couldn't disagree more. maybe it has something in common with Downpour, which I consider a huge step away from the franchise.
Would be a bit messed up if you had to remove light from the enemies in RE 4 (just remember the whole Town attacks you and you sit there with a flashlight )

Its hard to describe and its just a personal opinion about the mix with Silent Hill but the setting in game reminds me on it.
DanTheKraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 02:01 PM   #120
jdun
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 485
Posts: 2,343
The problem with exploration in these type of game is the limited amount of ammo that is available. On the onset of the game it they made it clear you will only have enough ammo to complete the level and nothing more.

The players of course will stay on the given path because of fear of not having enough ammo to fight the end boss. Exploration will become meaningless because of the ammo limitation.
jdun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alan Wake


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.