Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Old 08-24-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
DizzyThermal

[PC] Multiplayer Split-Screen

I know that this has been questioned and requested before, however, I feel like the authors of the posts became too hostile on the people replying to their posts and possibly didn't defend the topic well enough..

Here are a few reasons why I feel the PC version of Counter-Strike: Global Offensive should allow the ability to play LAN Split-screen:
  • I like to play Counter-Strike competitively. However, I would also like the ability to get together with friends and play on the same screen with bots. As of now, I would have to purchase the game twice to do so. I do not like to competitively play a First Person Shooter on a console because I feel that my precision is far better with a Mouse/Keyboard combination.
  • I, as well as many others, have TV Entertainment systems with a Computer attached to one of the TV's Inputs. This means that I can install Steam and run Counter-Strike on a 73" screen. I do not need to huddle around a 19" monitor like many of the negative comments portray. This argument is irrelevant - stop using it.
  • With a few wired (or wireless) Xbox Controllers and/or Play Station controllers I am now given the ability to play Counter-Strike with 2-4 friends in the same room without having to be connected to Xbox LIVE or the Play Station Network. (With one device - not making friends lug their computers around).
  • My Computer is far superior to an Xbox 360 and a Play Station 3. Graphics and game play is more detailed and smoother on my PC than on my consoles. When I play with friends I want them to visually like the game their playing. A lot of people determine whether they like a game based on graphics (myself excluded). Therefore I would like to deliver Counter-Strike: Global Offensive to someone who has only played Call of Duty FPS's the right way.

Still not understanding my point? Here's a video of a game that DOES allow what many of us are looking for. They do it right:

Dungeon Defenders:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akgBgCWfkP4

Serious Sam 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4W8n9fWaSZI

Last edited by DizzyThermal: 08-24-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Moskeeto

I wish more PC games natively let you play split-screen. Serious Sam 3 lets you do so online and offline (up to 4 players).

Our PCs can obviously handle it, so I don't understand why other games don't have it as an option in the menus such as L4D2 and Portal 2.
Moskeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
DizzyThermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskeeto View Post
I wish more PC games natively let you play split-screen. Serious Sam 3 lets you do so online and offline (up to 4 players).

Our PCs can obviously handle it, so I don't understand why other games don't have it as an option in the menus such as L4D2 and Portal 2.
Completely agree.

We all know Valve is the role model company. Most of the time Valve does it right.

I believe that Valve will implement this if they see the demand for it!

It is most likely something that they find not practical at the moment. If we can show them examples and give them solid reason for why Multiplayer LAN should be an option on Desktops/Laptops, maybe he'll listen.

We know you're listening Gabe!

Last edited by DizzyThermal: 08-24-2012 at 12:26 PM.
DizzyThermal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:28 PM   #4
Dragonsbrethren

Given that the console versions don't even support split screen, this'll probably never happen.

It's a real shame more PC games don't support split screen. PCs should trump consoles in every aspect, yet this is the one thing where consoles are almost always at an advantage. And they really shouldn't be; the PC has more power to work with, by all means it should be the opposite.

Nearly all of my friends have their PCs hooked up to a TV. It's time that PC devs need to give people like them an experience that rivals their Playboxes, so they realize there is no need for consoles anymore. Valve's in a position to do this, but won't even officially expose the option in their games that do support it.
Dragonsbrethren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
DizzyThermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsbrethren View Post
Given that the console versions don't even support split screen, this'll probably never happen.

It's a real shame more PC games don't support split screen. PCs should trump consoles in every aspect, yet this is the one thing where consoles are almost always at an advantage. And they really shouldn't be; the PC has more power to work with, by all means it should be the opposite.

Nearly all of my friends have their PCs hooked up to a TV. It's time that PC devs need to give people like them an experience that rivals their Playboxes, so they realize there is no need for consoles anymore. Valve's in a position to do this, but won't even officially expose the option in their games that do support it.
Amen! Chet Faliszek was interviewed about Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and when he was asked:

You’re updating a game from a pre-ironsights era, on a very specific mechanical point, and it seems to me that where ironsights would be now, Counter-Strike has crouch.

He responded:
... - There’s definitely some differences that people’ll have to pick up and learn, but we’ll have a training mode to help with that. There’s also single player with bots, and split-screen with your friends. There’s a few different ways in.

Source: (Last question) http://www.gamingdaily.co.uk/2011/ch...zek-interview/

It is quiet possible that the Xbox version will receive an update (since it is a Market Download) that will add the LAN Splitscreen. I hope when this gets released that the PC Version is also updated or not far behind!
Old 08-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #6
Dragonsbrethren

I completely forgot Chet said that. I hope you're right, and they do bring splitscreen in an update. I was actually kind of looking forward to getting the 360 version, as something new to play when my friends drop by, but without splitscreen it's pointless.
Dragonsbrethren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:50 PM   #7
5onic

I can't see why not +1.
5onic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
DizzyThermal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonsbrethren View Post
I completely forgot Chet said that. I hope you're right, and they do bring splitscreen in an update. I was actually kind of looking forward to getting the 360 version, as something new to play when my friends drop by, but without splitscreen it's pointless.
This is exactly my mindset, I'd love to play this when I have friends over, or if I go to a friends house, I can bring my laptop and an HDMI cable and play on their TV with them.

I'm personally not a fan of the Xbox Live Marketplace either. I also do not want to be out of commission and unable to play Counter-Strike when (Yes, when.. Not if) my Xbox 360 decides to Red Ring of Death on me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5onic View Post
I can't see why not +1.
Awesome, glad to have your support!
Old 08-28-2012, 05:24 PM   #9
juan72795

and now we play the waiting game if they ever decide to actually implement split-screen on the console version hopefully PC also.
juan72795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #10
Moskeeto

I doubt the console versions would be able to handle it considering how the game runs on them now, but I would like the PC version to get this. I still don't understand why the PC versions of L4D2 and Portal 2 don't support split-screen even though plenty of us have an Xbox controller ready for another person to use.
Moskeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #11
ezzyezborn28

I found these split-screen commands for the console, but I can't get them to work....

ss_enable "0" // Enables Split Screen support. Play Single Player now launches into split screen mode. NO ONLINE SUPPORT

ss_map // Start playing on specified map with max allowed splitscreen players.

ss_reloadletterbox // ss_reloadletterbox

ss_splitmode "0" // 2 - vertical (only allowed in widescreen
ezzyezborn28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #12
RCantw3ll

+1 as well. I have the game on all three platforms and would like to see this implemented.
RCantw3ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
Severd_Nerv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moskeeto View Post
I doubt the console versions would be able to handle it considering how the game runs on them now, but I would like the PC version to get this. I still don't understand why the PC versions of L4D2 and Portal 2 don't support split-screen even though plenty of us have an Xbox controller ready for another person to use.
Ahem* they do actually support Splitscreen
Severd_Nerv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
voLtageKK!

What about an feature that makes the game capable to be played on 2 monitors connected to your computer?

Plug in 2 keyboards and 2 mouses, make a quick setup and play.

A split screen would defeat the whole stealth aspect of the game if played against each other.
voLtageKK! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #15
KROLik 0riginal

Banned
Why not?
KROLik 0riginal is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive