Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games

Old 08-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #1
Vincent2128

Civilization V: Installing Maps and Mods

Steam Workshop still does not work with Civilization V on Mac.

Here's a guide to installing maps and mods on Mac copies of Civilization V.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First, download the maps/mods that you want to install from the Internet. Unzip the downloaded files if necessary with a file extractor. (The Unarchiver works well for this purpose, and it's free, search for it in App Store.)

If it's a Workshop file, it may be possible to obtain the files for a map or mod, but I haven't tried.

Distinguishing from Maps and Mods
Maps typically have the ending .CivVMap
Mods typically have the ending .civ5mod
Then go to the relevant section below:

Maps

1. Move all of the map files to the following folder: (If the map file's inside a folder, move the map file out)

~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Maps
(~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Maps if you have decided to put the Civ V files in Library)

2. Launch the game, click Single Player, and select Set Up Game. Go to Advanced Setup and change the Map Type (top right) to the name of the map that you want to play. You can then click the Back button (if you don't want to change game settings on the Advanced Setup page) and you will see that the map type has changed to the map you have selected. Some maps come with built-in scenarios. You can select these by clicking the Load Scenario button underneath Map Type.

3. That's it! Go off and mess around with your scenario.

Mods

Mods are a bit more tricky to install.

1. Move all of the mod files to the following folder: (If the mod file's inside a folder, move the mod file out)

~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS
(~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS if you have decided to put the Civ V files in Library)

2. Open the mod files with a file extractor like the Unarchiver mentioned above. By default the .civ5mod files cannot be opened without selecting an application to open it with, so click Choose Application and select your file extractor. The extracted file should come out as a folder. Put this folder in the MODS folder (if you haven't already done so).

3. Some mods come with maps. To use these open the mod folder and look for any files ending with .CivVMap. If you find any, put these in ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Maps
(~/Library/Application Support/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/Maps if you have decided to put the Civ V files in Library)

4. The Mods button in-game is disabled in the MainMenu.lua file. To enable this button you will need to navigate to the MainMenu.lua file located at
~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

- The Library (which is by default hidden) can be accessed by holding down Option on the Finder’s Go menu. This reveals an option to visit the Library. Make sure that you are accessing the Library folder in your usernamehere folder, and not the system library under Macintosh HD.

- Once you are in the Sid Meier's Civilization V folder, Ctrl-Click or right click 'Civilization V' and select Show Package Contents, then continue following the file path.

If you have the AppStore version - Civ5 Campaign Edition - then you need to follow this path instead:
~/Applications/Civilization V Campaign Edition.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

Open MainMenu.lua with a text editor such as TextEdit, and comment out the following line:
(Line 33, which is located a few lines above '-- Event Handler: ConnectedToNetworkHost')
Code:
Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true );
To comment it out simply add two hyphens before it like this:
Code:
-- Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true );
(Don't forget to save the file!)
This should enable the Mods button on the Main Menu screen in-game.

5. Open Civilization V. You should find that the Mods button has appeared. Click on it, and then click the checkmark next to the mod/s that you want to activate, then press Next. After a bit of loading your mods should work.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Notes

- I can handle some basic troubleshooting, but in the end most of this information was compiled with internet sources and self experimentation. Of course, the occasional mod may not work with the Mac version or simply not work at all, and those I cannot fix.

- I would like to send my thanks to Legionnaire1831 for his excellent post that helped me with writing this located at http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=455119

- I have tested these on my 2009-ish Macbook Pro, running Mac OSX Lion 10.7.2.

Last edited by Vincent2128: 08-27-2012 at 03:40 AM.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #2
mill1018

I have followed the above instructions to comment out the mod line as seen below, however i am still not seeing the mod option in game. Any thoughts?

else
Controls.Civ5Logo:UnloadTexture();
end
-- Controls.ModsButton:SetHide( true ); -- MAC_PORT - rickb Comment this line out to re-enable mods. Happy modding!
end
ContextPtr:SetShowHideHandler( ShowHideHandler );

-------------------------------------------------
-- Event Handler: ConnectedToNetworkHost

mill1018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:25 AM   #3
Vincent2128

No idea...
I guess you could try using my MainMenu.lua file
http://www.mediafire.com/?6e4zi6w7f6e1qzb

AFAIK there's nothing important/user specific in there.
Vincent2128 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Steam for Mac > Third Party games