Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive

Old 08-28-2012, 06:43 AM   #31
ca1

Anyone saying what the human eye can see in frames is irrelevant and it has been proven that the eye can see over 200 frames (don't question me on the source as I've lost it).

The human eye's frame limit is not related to how much your monitor needs to display as your eyes aren't your monitor. If your monitor is 60hz or 120hz or anything is it playable yes, but it is better to lock it at double your monitor hz for more stable gameplay. If you have 120hz lock your fps at 240 as if it was only at 120 you would be just getting 120 frames, if it's at 240 you will be getting the latest 120 frames displayed to your monitor.

Do not listen to anyone talking about the eye being able to see X amount of frames related to gaming as it's all useless, other than the fact the human eye can see over 200fps your monitor and gpu aren't your eyes, having 120fps is better than 60fps because you're getting more frames for more smooth gameplay.

As for your cmd rate and what not, just lock your fps at 241 because ingame that would be 240 and then you don't need to worry about your cmd rate, just leave that on 128.

TL;DR anyone talking about the human eye seeing X amount of fps is wrong, been dis-proven so many times and it's irrelevant to gaming. Lock your fps double your monitor hz to get the latest fps so 60hz lock at 121fps to get the latest 60 frames your game displays to your monitor and 241 for 120hz to get the latest 120 frames.

Last edited by ca1: 08-28-2012 at 06:47 AM.
ca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #32
cityuk04

I have absolutely no doubt that my 120hz monitor gives me a smoother more detailed picture.

It's very noticeable in an fps like CS, L4D or TF2 when someone runs by you very close up. What used to be a slightly blurred confused image is now pristine. I used to come up with all sorts of reasons why CQC seemed so foggy. I changed my computer, internet connection, network settings but the change to a 120hz monitor is what made the real difference...!

Last edited by cityuk04: 08-28-2012 at 06:57 AM.
cityuk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #33
cityuk04

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Venom View Post
vsync is the worst kind of input lag why in the world would you enable that piece of *****???
V-synch is awful. It's like playing in treacle. Trying to aim is a struggle, you go past the object then track back and overshoot again... ick.
cityuk04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:41 AM   #34
THE Nakedgun

Banned
Does vsync input lag at 120Hz feel better than at 60Hz, in theory the lag should be halved, right?
THE Nakedgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:25 PM   #35
vFlare

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1 View Post
Anyone saying what the human eye can see in frames is irrelevant
No one is claiming the eye can see "in" frames. The eye can see a frame, just like it can see a picture. And when those pictures are put into no particular order and played at a set speed, it forms a rate at which frames are shown, or framerate/frames per second. (In this instance, seconds is the speed) If you're trying to tell me you quite literally cannot see 15 images being played a second, you are wrong.
Quote:
Do not listen to anyone talking about the eye being able to see X amount of frames
Quote:
TL;DR anyone talking about the human eye seeing X amount of fps is wrong, been dis-proven so many times and it's irrelevant to gaming.
Quote:
and it has been proven that the eye can see over 200 frames (don't question me on the source as I've lost it).
I'm enjoying these contradictions. On another note, it seems everyone's lost their source. Gee, imagine that.
vFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #36
c02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Biggles View Post
Incorrect.
Actually, that is correct. They've done medical studies that show the average brain registers around the mid-30s mark.

There are people who have conditions which allow them to see 40+ FPS, however the overwhelming majority of those people are highly sensitive to lighting ... to the point that it can cause severe pain.

I should not as well that comparing "human eye FPS" and digital motion FPS is sort of like comparing apples to oranges. There is more to it than frames ...

Last edited by c02: 08-28-2012 at 12:36 PM.
c02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:33 PM   #37
Ataraktika

I have a question.

The cmdrate on the classic competitive servers have changed to 100 since the recent updates (it used to be 64 by default I think).
No matter what I set it, it forces to 100. updaterate is also forced, but to 64. Why? Shouldn't they match?
Ataraktika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:40 PM   #38
c02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ataraktika View Post
I have a question.

The cmdrate on the classic competitive servers have changed to 100 since the recent updates (it used to be 64 by default I think).
No matter what I set it, it forces to 100. updaterate is also forced, but to 64. Why? Shouldn't they match?

The server will set the proper rates providing your default rates are higher than what the server is requesting. The majority of servers out there still use 64 on update, no idea why it isn't higher.
c02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #39
KiloSwiss

Quote:
1. If i have a 120HZ monitor is it best to lock my FPS @ 120 or is that just a myth?
This is a Myth.
fps_max = Monitor Hz = strong tearing
More fps = less tearing and also smoother gameplay, because the Engine updates your input (especialy the mousemovement) by every single frame.
But heavy framedrops are bad (again especialy for the mousemovement) so don't set fps_max too high (default 300 is what I recommend).

Quote:
2. If i indeed do lock my FPS to 120 does that mean that i have to set my cl_cmdrate to 120 instead of 128 or wont it make a difference?
If fps<cl_cmdrate Your outgoing Packets/s are equal to Your fps.
This limitation exists because the Engine can only send one Packet per rendered frame.
To answer Your question:
cl_cmdrate 128 and fps_max 120 is the same as cl_cmdrate 120.

Quote:
3. What would be the cl_interp_ratio for that configuration "1" or "2" ?? or do i need to set that depending on the sever configuration?
I personally recommend to play with cl_interp_ratio 2 on larger Publicservers, and with 1 on competitive/warservers with max 5vs5 Players.
But it also depends on Your connection.
Not the bandwidth (!), but the quality of the connection (mostly affected by the distance to the next relais station).
As long as You have no loss or choke, go with cl_interp_ratio 1 or use 2 to be on the safe site everytime.

Greez KiloSwiss

Last edited by KiloSwiss: 08-28-2012 at 12:53 PM.
KiloSwiss is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Global Offensive