Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 08-29-2012, 12:10 AM   #1
owenhbrown

GFWL not connecting for Steam games

Hello folks,

I recently purchased Dark Souls and found that even though the game was activated, I cannot go into online mode. The client tells me that I must have a router or firewall problem.

After some useless tinkering I chose to try my non-Steam GFWL games and found that they all connected, whilst all my Steam GFWL games will not connect.

I have never encountered this before and I am having trouble finding anything in search results, I would appreciate any pointers on how to fix this problem.
Old 08-29-2012, 12:16 AM   #2
CTRL ALT DEL !

Have you got games for live marketplace installed and signed in, I had to, to get games running.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
owenhbrown

Yes, I tried that.... although I don't see how that could help. The client opens automatically when you open any GFWL games.
owenhbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #4
gxs

If you use xfire close it and see if it helps. I had a similar problem with some of my games (oddly not with all GFWL games) and this solved it. I don't know why the problem appeared all of a sudden.
gxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #5
owenhbrown

I don't have X-fire, I don't even know what it is... All I know is that I have a regular PC with a regular DSL-router connected wirelessly and GFWL and Steam and not seeing at all eye to eye.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
owenhbrown

Anyway, I just thought I'd reinstall the steam client and see if that would help... Now I seem to have lost all my games and save files... I am such a genius.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:59 AM   #7
gxs

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenhbrown View Post
Anyway, I just thought I'd reinstall the steam client and see if that would help... Now I seem to have lost all my games and save files... I am such a genius.
Did you install it in a different place?

Also about GFWL... Did you try to open ports on your router?
gxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:14 AM   #8
owenhbrown

No, I didn't do anything that would prevent all my games from being deleted. They are gone...

As for ports, a million bloody threads talk about the ports, and the resetting of IP stacks, and the clearing of internet cache, and the uninstalling and reinstalling of whatever... The same old hackneyed and useless advice that does bugger all. The crux of the matter is bad programs made with bad support, and I will say now it's all GFWL...

I said ALL my non-steam GFWL games worked... Not true! Turns out Arkham City won't connect either, but it isn't a steam game, so I was wrong.

So it all comes back to GFWL, I have some games that will connect to LIVE and some that won't. It wasn't always like this, how the hell does anyone search for a solution to this? How am I supposed to figure out where the bottle-neck is? How do I figure out if it's my router or my PC or just the bloody games???

Being a PC gamer is a punishing past-time (I admit my love of gamerscore has been my downfall) and Steam alone is far from perfect... I'd just find another swathe of frustrating faults to dampen my experience. If you wonder why there are so many console fanatics, forking out megabucks on dated hardware... well you shouldn't wonder... The game goes in, it works...

Much more of this and I will give up on PC games completely.

Last edited by owenhbrown: 08-29-2012 at 05:17 AM. Reason: They censcore "Hammer Legion Member" so I chose a different term

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips