Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 08-22-2012, 12:04 AM   #1
CTRL ALT DEL !

Game For Windows Live "account issue" can't play my games - Valve?

It seems I am having an unusual issue with my live ID.

When I reset my password (which I do occasionaly for security. I was not allowed to log in with the new password, I keep getting incorrect username or password.

I tried Live support at GFWL PC and all they could sugest was posting the issue here. http://forums.cnet.com/windows-live-forum

She could not login to my account either, it came up with an error she suggested might be server maintanece and to try in a few hours.

I then told her the issue had begun a while ago and I had tried all day the day before.

I asked for a link to contact the live team to fix the issue, but they did not have a direct link to create a support ticket and the live team does not have live support (oh the irony).

After 2 hours of hunting around I discovered this link http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...rofile-support that actually lets you create a ticket and explain the problem so you aren't typing messages in folder names in a recovery ticket.

My account isn't highjacked, the account just doesn't open and/or the password does not reset. I get the password resets and can change the password, but alas, no luck signing in.

A question, if anyone knows, Live will not transfer games from one account to another, can Valve replace my keys If they remain locked in an account that doesn't open, so that I can create a new account for Games for windows live and finally get to play my games again.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:14 AM   #2
Satoru

I'm abit doubtful of that. It's a GFWL issue not a Steam one so Steam has no real impetus to give you mroe keys, since the keys you initially were issued were valid. It'd really be up to MS to address it.

I recall that GFWL support is now only done over the phone. It's entirely separate from Xbox Live support (I nkow its stupid) so you probably should go that way to resolve your issue.
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:16 AM   #3
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satoru View Post
I'm abit doubtful of that. It's a GFWL issue not a Steam one so Steam has no real impetus to give you mroe keys, since the keys you initially were issued were valid. It'd really be up to MS to address it.

I recall that GFWL support is now only done over the phone. It's entirely separate from Xbox Live support (I nkow its stupid) so you probably should go that way to resolve your issue.
Is there a phone number? I was told there was no live support or chat by GFWL.
CTRL ALT DEL ! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 12:19 AM   #4
Satoru

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...40&postcount=1

Games for windows live support number is 1-877-274-4349

They should be able to assist you. The xbxo live is separate from the GFWL support team for some inexplicable reason. MS really screwed up GFWL when it could have been really awesome. Though you're in Australia... not sure if that's like a US number?

Odd when you go to the MS support page a window pops up seemingly indicating there's some issue with Hotmail.... maybe related to your issue?

Last edited by Satoru: 08-22-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #5
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...40&postcount=1

Games for windows live support number is 1-877-274-4349
Oh sorry I thought you meant the live team, GFWL, I talked with them for 2 days and they refuse to move my keys to an account I can use.

They pointed me at the live forums to try to find out how to fix it.

But I can reset my password without issue, I just can't login once I have, the new password doesn't let me in. The GFWL rep couldn't login either, so it's something screwed up in the Live ID database.

I just want to be able to play the games I paid for and if I can't I want my money back for them or new CDkeys that do work. Because i can't reuse any keys already associated with a live account.

If I can't play them and Valve can't fix it and Microsoft doesn't fix it. Do I get screwed over for $1000 dollar worth of games?

What I want is some assurance from Valve that if I can't get it fixeda t microsoft they will fix it via a refund or new keys added to my account or my GFWL games and not leave me totally ripped off.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
Satoru

Sorry here's a better link

http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/technical...53/t/8569.aspx

Australia
Phone number:
1800 555 741

Hours of operation (AEST):
7.00am to 9.00pm - Monday to Friday
9.00am to 5.00pm - Saturday and Sunday

New Zealand
Assistance by phone seven days a week
0508 555 592

Hours of operation (AEST):
9.00am to 9.00pm - Monday to Friday
9.00am to 5.00pm - Saturday and Sunday

Ultimately it's a GFWL issue. The reality is that someone could 'claim' they couldn't get into GFWL when they could just to get new keys. If GFWL can't even log in then really shouldn't you escalate that with MS?

The above is the GFWL phone # which you've apparently already called? I can't find any Live support and it's unlikely there is one given how that works in general

As I said before seems liek there's some 'issue' with Hotmail which might be related to your problem. If you go to support.microsoft.com there's a box that indicates what you can try

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/aler...ok/en-nz?&fr=1

Since #1 you've already done, you'll have to go wtih #2. Go through with teh Live recovery and see what happens.

Last edited by Satoru: 08-22-2012 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:09 AM   #7
CTRL ALT DEL !

I have done both already and created a support ticket with The live team.

My Email account example@gmail.com is my live ID example@gmail.com I can't see that they could think it belonged to anyone but me seriously.

Like I say I can reset the Live ID password, I just can't log in, all it says is wrong username and/or password.

GFWL was confused and suggest it may be the issues you are talking about, I haven't seen that issue anywhere. Have you got a link to that handy please.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:23 AM   #8
Satoru

I just went here

http://support.microsoft.com/?ln=en-au

Then a box appears with an "Alert" and link to the page I had in my previous posting. There's not much info beyond that.
Old 08-22-2012, 02:35 AM   #9
CTRL ALT DEL !

We've received too many requests to recover this account today. (We have a limit to help keep your account safe.) Please try again in 24 hours.

Guess that's it for today, I'll try again in 24hours. Be nice if they told you before you file it in.
Old 08-22-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
CTRL ALT DEL !

OMG: Apparently having access to the email myaccount@gmail.com do not enough proof that I own myaccount@gmail.com live ID and have disabled my account until I can prove it is mine.

They are currently doing this to so many accounts it will take a week to get a reply to my request to have the discission looked at.

In the mean time, I contacted GFWL and discovered the myaccount@gmail.com is no longer associated with any gamertag and they can't find my account.

I gave them My gamer ID tag and they said it wasn't flagged to my country, now I am wondering if someone has hijacked my gfwl account or if I put a random country on the tag. They refused to give any info about my gamer id without proof of ownership.

I know I logged in and created my ID and used it for all least a few games, most before they were on steam and I have no idea what games I have on there, I really didn't care as i had them on steam.

i am hoping to get my account back, I means how hard is it to work out that myaccount@gmail.com belongs to the owner of myaccount@gmail.com after all it was the account used to verify it. They refuse however to send communications myaccount@gmail.com because there myaccount@gmail.com is locked, that's just stupid.

Last edited by CTRL ALT DEL !: 08-22-2012 at 09:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
cylon

Quote:
I recall that GFWL support is now only done over the phone.
ONLY? Wow. Way to cut out the deaf/dumb gaming population Microsoft!
cylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
MmmBacon

From my experience, the keys you input aren't tied to your LIVE account. Back when I played Dawn of War 2, I forgot my password and proceeded to make a new LIVE ID. Used the same serial Steam gave me and I was able to play again. The only issue actually is the LIVE achievements which ARE tied to each account.
MmmBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #13
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmmBacon View Post
From my experience, the keys you input aren't tied to your LIVE account. Back when I played Dawn of War 2, I forgot my password and proceeded to make a new LIVE ID. Used the same serial Steam gave me and I was able to play again. The only issue actually is the LIVE achievements which ARE tied to each account.
No, they are locked to a single account.

And it appear after I tried to link my live account that my alias with my games attached is screwed up badly.

I can retrieve the password without issue, it even said I could change the password to the same password again. Some the account must exist.

There is no record at GFWL of my alias at all, but they can see the key is used, but not what account it's attached to.

When I joined my live accounts, it said the alias did not exist and couldn't be added.

It seems the account has issues with it's ability to sign in an retrieve data, even though it exists, it is unaccessible by me or GFWL support.

I guess my only chance now is to get a replacement key from steam.

Creating a ticket for this now, I will let you know how it goes.

I could post a link here to my live alias and give you a current password reset link. You could reset the password, but you wouldn't be able to sign in.

This makes steam guard look bad, this is so secure that the new password is rejected and needs to be reset imidiately, then you have to do it again and again and you give up after 10 days on a ticket for an account fix because they said they would be 5 days.

It seems this one has been filed into the to hard basket at microsoft.

Please make sure you have folders you created in you live account and have reset option set as well. i did and I am still screwed.

*sadface*
Old 08-30-2012, 03:55 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #14
JacobU

Valve
You must recover the account that the game is on. You can also try contacting the publisher of the game you are trying to play to see if they can assist you. Only they can grant a key.
JacobU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 04:14 PM   #15
CTRL ALT DEL !

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacobU View Post
You must recover the account that the game is on. You can also try contacting the publisher of the game you are trying to play to see if they can assist you. Only they can grant a key.
I can recover the account, I can reset the password. But I can't log in, the new password fails to open the account.

I tried to add it to my other live account (join the two live accounts) and it said my alias doesn't exist.

when I contacted GFWL they said mu alias didn't exist.

So I have an account that can't be signed into because it doesn't exist and my key/s at attached to it.

The microsoft live team have not contacted me and it has been 10 days since my last recovery attempt (via support) I can and have reset my password and tried every day without success to log in.

They said they would contact me in 5-7 days, I guess 10 isn't to far over that, but I honestly thing the account has a major issue and is corrupted in some way.

I have posted all the relevant details including one game key that is definitely on that account on there forums (the key is used so no issue). They have yet to respond to my question and I honestly don't think they will, it's in their to hard basket right now.

This is what I get when I try to add it to my current recovery account:
Your email addresses (removed)
We couldn't complete the action because that alias doesn't exist anymore.
You haven't added any email addresses to your account.
Preferred email address (removed)

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips