Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sleeping Dogs

Old 08-26-2012, 03:21 PM   #16
markieeai

Here's what I had to do to get my computer working again after this whole Sleeping Dogs corrupting files.

I figure if I uninstall the game, that might fix it right? I had already narrowed down other causes that could have been hardware issues.

I thought at first, maybe it is over heating? Nope my CPU reaches a maximum of 50 Celsius when playing games that require a lot of performance.

And nothing in the computer got hot, nothing smelt burnt or anything. So, overheating wasn't an issue. Check.

I still got blue screens when playing 30minutes of any game now, even though I had uninstalled Sleeping Dogs! So I was getting worried, panicked. So I decided to reinstall my GPU Drivers directly from nVidias website. I reinstalled DirectX11 using the installer from Spec Ops: The Line.

Hmm, oddly my computer ran faster after I did this, and I could play for longer. 40 Minutes now. But sadly, I still got a blue screen.
I defragged my harddrive, I ran CHKDSK, nothing showed up as errors. Still had the issues.

My theory is, even though I had uninstalled Sleeping Dogs, reinstalled drivers and DX11 and defragged and all that. Sleeping Dogs had corrupted a system file 'NTFS.Sys" or something. Not sure which file, just speculating which one it could have been.

So as a last resort (well before changing hardware and reinstalling windows) I did a System Restore to the point BEFORE I installed Sleeping Dogs. And my computer works fine now. I can play for longer than 30minutes, I'm not getting a blue screen. It seems a system file had been corrupted due to Sleeping Dogs.

And that my hardware would start failing at the time I installed Sleeping Dogs, is one weird coincidence. But luckily my hardware did not fail, and many others have the same issues. So I think. I THINK it could have corrupted a system file. I'm not sure! I'll have to investigate further.

Also I thought it might have been a Power issue, that my Power Supply might be faulty, or my computer not getting enough power. But I decided after I did this system restore, to play a few games that require higher performance than Sleeping Dogs (And naturally, the more performance something needs, the more power it needs as well) And it worked perfectly fine. I ran the games for 1hour each without any issues.

So faulty Power Supply is not an issue. I believe Sleeping Dogs corrupted a System File

EDIT: I forgot to add, after I installed Sleeping Dogs, and after my first Blue Screen from the game. I also noticed how every time I booted my PC up. I started getting "Please Select Proper Boot Device" forcing me to go into BIOS and select my harddrive.

I wonder if this is related. Maybe (Speculation) Sleeping Dogs corrupted a file that recognize hardware, like Memory, Hard-Drive, and so on. Seeing as a system restore fixed the problem. I am pretty sure about this. I believe that Sleeping Dogs have made Windows trying to replace/add or remove a file. Or the working file has been replaced with a faulty one. Somehow, how this happened I do not know. But this is what I think the issue is.

If it was my hardware, a system restore would not have fixed it. And I only did it to the point BEFORE I installed Sleeping Dogs. And as I said, it's a weird coincidence that any hardware would start messing up at the time I installed and played Sleeping Dogs, or that something else corrupted my file (even though I never installed anything after I installed Sleeping Dogs)

And lets not forget that there are more with the same and/or similar issues. So I have reason to suspect that Sleeping Dogs does in fact, corrupt a crucial and MUCH needed system file. That is why you get Blue Screens outside of Sleeping Dogs as well.

Update: It seems a System Restore fixed the problems. I can play any game now without issues, no more blue screens or errors. However, for some reason I cannot play CS:GO, I get a Blue Screen every time I am 30-40 minutes into that game. Reinstalled it. Didn't work.

I am thinking about reinstalling Sleeping Dogs, maybe it will work now. Still not certain if I want to take that risk. Looking into a fix for CS:GO at the moment though. Can't seem to understand why that stopped working all of the sudden

Last edited by markieeai: 08-27-2012 at 02:43 AM.
markieeai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
shanrisy

I don't know it's a fix or what but I got into the game and played it for 20 minutes with no problems at all but it lags like hell and shuttering too. So here is a fix for you, when you click on Hkship.exe, go into task manager then processes tab and find hkship.exe and then right click on it go to set affinity and just uncheck one processor. I've two processor laptop so I just unchecked one and then the game start without any crash. I hope this help you all.
shanrisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:36 AM   #18
abethelegend

I too am having this problem. I hope that Square Enix will fix it soon because nobody should have to play a game in lesser quality when they have took the time to download the high resolution texture pack.
abethelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:37 AM   #19
abethelegend

I too am having this problem. I hope Square Enix fix it soon because I really want to play the game with the high quality textures on!
abethelegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 PM   #20
markieeai

Ok, so the System Restore fixed the NTFS.sys problem.

I am still having Blue Screens in CS:GO for some odd reason. "Memory Management" and "Bad Pool Header" So I guess something is also wrong with my hardware.

Decided to exchanged it for new parts, still got warranty. At least I fixed the blue screen Sleeping Dogs caused me to have I guess?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:40 AM   #21
customgtp

Im posting this where ever needed.....If anyone is having problems with this game crashing, mine was crashing every 5 minutes. unplayable. I flashed my bios & no problems now
customgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #22
KaliX1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markieeai View Post
Ok, so the System Restore fixed the NTFS.sys problem.

I am still having Blue Screens in CS:GO for some odd reason. "Memory Management" and "Bad Pool Header" So I guess something is also wrong with my hardware.

Decided to exchanged it for new parts, still got warranty. At least I fixed the blue screen Sleeping Dogs caused me to have I guess?
CS:GO has it's own issues, I had to turn down some of the video settings and I haven't gotten another blue screen. Don't know what specific setting(s) are the culprit I just know running everything on max for some reason was causing problems despite my hardware having no difficulty with those settings.
KaliX1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:51 AM   #23
markieeai

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaliX1 View Post
CS:GO has it's own issues, I had to turn down some of the video settings and I haven't gotten another blue screen. Don't know what specific setting(s) are the culprit I just know running everything on max for some reason was causing problems despite my hardware having no difficulty with those settings.
Well it turns out my Motherboard and Possibly RAM Memory are Factory Faulty.

Nothing works now. So I am turning in my parts. However, Sleeping Dogs did screw up some drivers and/or system files. So those bluescreens Sleeping Dogs gave me I fixed with a system restore.

But I think Sleeping Dogs helped showing the faulty parts in my computer, somehow. Either way no game works to play. And I get random bluescreens even when on desktop so. I have to replace the Factory Faulty parts. I will report how Sleeping Dogs work once I have gotten my new parts
Old 09-11-2012, 10:19 AM   #24
schibbez

Hell, i got the same Problem, Sleeping Dogs SCREWED UP MY WINDOWS 7 SO BADLY!!! Even when i do the windows repair install i get the bluescreens now! The Problem is, i never had a system restore point before sleeping dogs. Damn is the only way to REINSTALL WINDOWS 7 BECAUS SLEEPING DOGS F*CKED UP MY SYSTEM? DAMN IM ANGRY! What the heck did the programmers there????????
schibbez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 08:35 PM   #25
J-MON

Angry I have BSOD issues with Sleeping Dogs too

I have had BSOD issues with Sleeping Dogs for weeks now. Same as everyone else here I'm waiting for a patch or a new driver to hang my hopes on.

I used to think it was only driving in the game that would crash so i started taxiing everywhere. I had a session a few nights back where I was actually able to play for a solid hour without BSOD and i was thrilled .

However, it doesn't matter what I'm doing in the game walking, running, driving, stationary, shooting etc. or what my settings are (I thought frame limiter was a solution for a while too!) I still get BSOD 5-25 minutes in .
J-MON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 10:32 AM   #26
Yodzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armaron View Post
Did not work for me. Turning off HD texture pack did nothing to get rid of the crashes. Once I starting playing the game with the pack off it crashed in about 10 seconds of leaving the apartment and jumping on my bike and heading halfway out of the driveway back to desktop with the game's sounds still running. I also have Ghost Recon which also is completely unplayable due to the constant crashes.

One other fix I've read about many times before with similar problems on other games is to underclock your Video card's GPU using a program called Nvidia Inspector. I own a Nvidia 580GTX. You might want to try that. I haven't tried that since I'm not confident enough to mess around with my video card's clock speeds.
Is Inspector different from nTune? For some reason nTune makes my computer BSOD and it sounds like I'm having the same issues as you in Sleeping Dogs with my GTX 560ti. A shame because it seems like a great game but pretty much crashes as soon as I hop on the bike.
Yodzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #27
jacobjtec

Angry so i have a different but close to the same

i don't get blue screen of death and mine never lets me leave it it won't say hk.exe has stopped working what it does when it crashes is whatever the near by surroundings colors are let's say i'm staring at the grass what it will do is use the green color make them into rectangles that fill up the whole god damn screen and it is really annoying some times i will load a mission and it will fade to black and never load all i can hear is sometimes music and sometimes cars honking it's annoying and i still haven't been able to fix it so i was like screw it and i downloaded a save file put them in walked around it was fine but then it did it again still no blue screens of death but they do make me have to restart my comp and i know it's not over heating and it's not that it can't handle it here are my specs
Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
CPU
AMD FX-4100 23 °C
Zambezi 32nm Technology
RAM
8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 672MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
BIOSTAR Group A880GZ (CPU 1) 23 °C
Graphics
Acer X193W (1440x900@60Hz)
2048MB AMD Radeon HD 6670 (Diamond)
Hard Drives
466GB Western Digital WDC WD5000AADS-00S9B0 ATA Device (SATA) 33 °C
Optical Drives
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-224BB ATA Device
Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device
i think i figured out why now i don't have a fix but if you are running windows 7 64 bit the problem is probably idk exactly but i opened up task manage and it's running in 32 bit idk how to fix it though

Last edited by jacobjtec: 05-25-2013 at 04:20 PM. Reason: i need to do it
jacobjtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 06:06 AM   #28
xybolt

64 bit systems can run 32bit ones without a problem btw. These are adapted to provide this functionality. i am able to fix the white screen error on launch (had to battle it for two hours) on win7 64bit

i didn't knew that the application is build in 32bit environment. But in fact it isn't a big issue. running 64 bit programs on 32 bits will bring issues ofc.

For your concern, i suggest to visit the forums of this game at Square Enix. I heard that that forum has helped two of my buddies whom are playing this game too. And those users there are more confident with errors from this game.

link to forum

eh, sometimes i get crashes when using tab to display the map >.>
xybolt is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Sleeping Dogs