Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands

Old 09-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #1
xrillxrollax

Question Borderlands 2 Saved Files

Hey sup bros, does anyone know if the saved game files in Borderlands 2 will be like Borderlands?

I really don't like how easy it is to modify the game files, every other person online has modded weps that 1 shot everything and 99999999 absorb shields, it ruins the game.

If they had the saved game files server side the game would be much more fun and you would see alot more people max level farming items.

Just some of my thoughts...
Old 09-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #2
ShadowKazama

The game is ran localy. Even is the saves were on a server cheating can/will happen. Just don't play with people you don't know and you won't have that problem.
ShadowKazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
xrillxrollax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKazama View Post
The game is ran localy. Even is the saves were on a server cheating can/will happen. Just don't play with people you don't know and you won't have that problem.

Hey thanks for the info captain obvious, but my friends aren't online all the time and if everyone else is modding you might as well do it too.. It's not a personal problem it's multiplayer in general that's ran poorly and can be fixed easily.
xrillxrollax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #4
NinjaSquirrel

Saves for pc will be on your computer/cloud. No one knows yet what they have implemented to try and prevent modding
NinjaSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #5
ShadowKazama

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrillxrollax View Post
Hey thanks for the info captain obvious, but my friends aren't online all the time and if everyone else is modding you might as well do it too.. It's not a personal problem it's multiplayer in general that's ran poorly and can be fixed easily.
It is a personal problem. Make more friend that you can trust and play with.

This is a co-op game, not a pvp game. Saving the games on a server would cause more problems then it would solve. You would need an anti-cheat program to inspect them (higher cost to ake and maintain), players would need a constant connection to play (ala Ubisoft), and players would still find a way to cheat too. Like I said, all game content is ran localy. Any local files can be modified and then you can bring that into a MP game.

It is not an easy fix. You want to delay the game another 6 moths? Just so you can play without someone else deciding to cheat? Good luck with that.

The MP for this game is great for what kind of game it is. Don't want cheater, don't play on the internet.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:50 PM   #6
99Reaper99

If they do have a way to prevent modding, someone will find a way around it. Personally I liked what it allowed me to do. Beat the game a few times, did all I could, then fooled around with new guns I made. Then again I don't know how bad it was online since I never played with anyone since I was the only one to get the GOTY, much later on.
99Reaper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
xrillxrollax

You would still have saved files for single player and another for online, It's really not that hard to store the saved files on server side instead of client that would fix modding all together. No anti-cheat system needed or inspections needed...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #8
ShadowKazama

Quote:
You would still have saved files for single player and another for online, It's really not that hard to store the saved files on server side instead of client that would fix modding all together. No anti-cheat system needed or inspections needed...
A saved game is just a snapshot of what you currently have, stats and location. If you hack a gun, the hack will still get saved on the server when the save updates. Since everything is ran locally, there is no way to prevent this without searching the information in the save file for stats that could not exist (aka anti-cheat program).

Example, I could modify my current weapons stats, when the game save, it saves the stats too.

There are more ways to mod gear then just to edit a save file.

People could still get around that by making gear at the max end of the allowed numbers.

Either way, best way to avoid cheats is to not play online or only play with people you know and trust.

If it was as easy as just having the save put on a server, it would have been done a long time ago.

Besides, saving to a server won't prevent god mode or infinite ammo cheats either. So what would the point be?
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
nrnoble

Quote:
Hey thanks for the info captain obvious,
Making a mental note to myself that reading minds is required before replying, so its clear exactly what the person knows and doesn't know, therefore there no reason every answer shouldn't be 110% perfect 110% of the time.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 AM   #10
xrillxrollax

Pretty sure none of you guys in this thread have ever come close to making a item without a program involved, if the saved game was stored on the servers there would be no way to make custom items or god mode.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:17 PM   #11
Adde

Banned
OP is trolling because no one is that stupid.
Adde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:56 AM   #12
Caliente

Quote:
Pretty sure none of you guys in this thread have ever come close to making a item without a program involved, if the saved game was stored on the servers there would be no way to make custom items or god mode.
This is plain bullshi*. You can always cheat in games, you dont even need access to the savefile to mod guns or cheats as Godmode, unlimited ammo, unlimited skillpoints and so on..

Please dont make statements on subjects you dont know anything about.
Caliente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:15 AM   #13
nrnoble

Quote:
The flaw with your thinking here is that Borderlands does not have servers, its a coop game, so there is no server to save to. But, there are other games that do store data on remote servers. I think Blizzard games now do something like that, so its not unpresidented, but just not practical for Borderlands 2.

A simplier way to solve the problem for Borderlands 2 is to encrypt the local saved data so it can't be modified by the users.

Last edited by nrnoble: 09-12-2012 at 02:05 AM.
nrnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:30 AM   #14
Cyrielx2

It's easy, really.

- If stored locally
If the format of saved games changed from Bl1 -> BL2 there will be at least a delay before someone figures out what things do. If not, Gearbox hasn't learned from the optimus triple masher masher grinder SMG that shoots rockets by the dozen, turning crawmerax into a joke.

- If stored remotely
There's always nonsense like packet injections, scripts etc but aside that, hard modding your saved game if it's stored remotely is out of the question.
Cyrielx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
hahahehe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowKazama View Post
A saved game is just a snapshot of what you currently have, stats and location. If you hack a gun, the hack will still get saved on the server when the save updates. Since everything is ran locally, there is no way to prevent this without searching the information in the save file for stats that could not exist (aka anti-cheat program).

Example, I could modify my current weapons stats, when the game save, it saves the stats too.

There are more ways to mod gear then just to edit a save file.

People could still get around that by making gear at the max end of the allowed numbers.

Either way, best way to avoid cheats is to not play online or only play with people you know and trust.

If it was as easy as just having the save put on a server, it would have been done a long time ago.

Besides, saving to a server won't prevent god mode or infinite ammo cheats either. So what would the point be?
Not correct.

To modify your save you have to have the actual save file which is located on your PC and open it with Willowtree. When you've finished cheating you save the save, replace the original with your modified one and fire up the game. Nothing is done from inside the game.

@Server Side Saving ala Steam Cloud

Sorry but this would not work either. If you navigate to your steam directory on your PC you'll notice a folder called userdata. This folder contains the local copy of your cloud save files, essentially when you play the local copy is edited by the game, then once you quit the game it syncs with steam and uploads the latest version from your PC. Its all still done locally and the save files are just a vunerable with steam cloud as they are with local saving.
hahahehe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Borderlands