Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 08-28-2012, 07:11 PM   #16
roguekiller2323

i've had this happen to me a lot of times, it's the HDD's that you have connected and windows power options that turns them off.

when the HDD turns off to save power it's usually fine, but when it powers back up again it can cause the computer to freeze untill the HDD is fully spun up and accessible.

the only solution i have found is to run Speedfan to monitor the tempuratures of the drives, this stops them from powering down and the inbuilt timers of 'green' drives from powering them down.
roguekiller2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #17
dosbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo6152 View Post
What's blackviper?

So you're telling me not to disable indexing, prefetch, superfetch, change the size of the page file, turn off hibernation, and limit the amount of system restore points to be made?

Those were the main things that I did including of course turning off defragmentation.
Those are not the only things described in that overclock.net guide. It would be impossible to identify what went wrong if you applied all of the changes recommended in that guide.

Having said that, roguekiller brings up a good point. If your HDD's power down, that might explain brief pauses while they power up. However, that shouldn't freeze the system entirely. The easiest way to find out would be to unplug the HDD's and see if it still happens.
dosbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #18
smellykaka

Quote:
So you're telling me not to disable indexing, prefetch, superfetch, change the size of the page file, turn off hibernation, and limit the amount of system restore points to be made?

Those were the main things that I did including of course turning off defragmentation.
You shouldn't do most of those things because Windows will do many of them automatically (except the pagefile/hibernation change).
smellykaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #19
Mo6152

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguekiller2323 View Post
i've had this happen to me a lot of times, it's the HDD's that you have connected and windows power options that turns them off.

when the HDD turns off to save power it's usually fine, but when it powers back up again it can cause the computer to freeze untill the HDD is fully spun up and accessible.

the only solution i have found is to run Speedfan to monitor the tempuratures of the drives, this stops them from powering down and the inbuilt timers of 'green' drives from powering them down.
The turn off hard disk option is fully off from Windows. Unless there is an option that I don't know about in BIOS or something, that definitely is not the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosbox View Post
Those are not the only things described in that overclock.net guide. It would be impossible to identify what went wrong if you applied all of the changes recommended in that guide.

Having said that, roguekiller brings up a good point. If your HDD's power down, that might explain brief pauses while they power up. However, that shouldn't freeze the system entirely. The easiest way to find out would be to unplug the HDD's and see if it still happens.
But that's mostly what I did. I followed the guides in the "System Setup after Installation: " category of that topic and ignored most of the other ones. I just saw the blackviper thing you're talking about, and no, I have never done it neither do I know what it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykaka View Post
You shouldn't do most of those things because Windows will do many of them automatically (except the pagefile/hibernation change).
Well prefetch and what not was recommended to be turned off by the Samsung Magician Utility as well...

Hibernation is useless to me as I never use it on my desktop.

As for indexing, I don't see how disabling that would cause these random lockups. I'm simply telling Windows not to look at my files and make an index for them.

I probably shouldn't have messed with the page file and the only thing left is the system restore points which I reduced to allow it to use only 2% of my SSD space (about 4.7GB) which is enough imo.
Mo6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 12:36 AM   #20
TeKraken

I don't think those optimisations would do harm, just some of them may not be as effective (or worthwhile) on current generation SSDs.

What stands out to me as bad is the critical errors:
Quote:
Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Is this you resetting the PC because of a freeze? As far as I can see the WMI errors happen after the power off.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #21
Mo6152

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKraken View Post
I don't think those optimisations would do harm, just some of them may not be as effective (or worthwhile) on current generation SSDs.

What stands out to me as bad is the critical errors:

Is this you resetting the PC because of a freeze? As far as I can see the WMI errors happen after the power off.
I guess it is. I have to use the reset button on my computer to turn restart it once it freezes.

Here is what it says under that error in event viewer:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:58 PM   #22
Mo6152

Alright guys, sorry for the (very) late reply, but I had been trying a few different fixes to see if the problem can be resolved.

Here is what I have tried:

I have tried disconnecting ALL other SATA components except for the SSD and running the computer without turning it off for 5 days. The first 3 days were consecutive without turning off the computer at night, and everything ran fine without any problems. Then for the last 2 days I decided to turn it off at night, and it was still fine without any problems.

After seeing this, I decided to replug all EXCEPT my old OS drive back in (replugged 2 SATA drives, eSATA bracket for external HDD, and my optical drive). It ran fine for the first day, but then it froze again the second day.

Not sure if this means the cause is from one of my SATA components or not. Now to remind you guys, I have been running with this setup for about a year before I got this SSD and did not receive this problem AT ALL!

Most of the previous errors from event viewer are gone except for the ones that I get telling me my system has shut down unexpectedly and this is due to me turning it off by holding the power button when it freezes.
Here are the errors in case you didn't see them before:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40710/old%20error.PNG
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40710/old%20error%202.PNG

However, 2 new errors have shown up. One showed up for the first time today and it is this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40710/error%201.PNG

As for the other one, it has been happening for a few days, but I was able to track it down to my Zune Dock which is connected to the back of my PC for power. This error shows up every time at startup and doesn't seem to affect my PC at all since it only occurs at bootup and no other time. Here it is: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40710/error%202.PNG

Now I have heard that it may be the USB ports, well I highly doubt that because I have my power button set to turn off the PC when pressed. I did this on purpose to rule out the USB port being an issue. The computer doesn't respond to the power button either when it freezes.

Now I have been thinking of uninstalling the AMD SATA driver and using the Microsoft one to rule out the driver being a problem. However, if it is a problem, won't that degrade my SSD performance if I used the SSD with the generic Microsoft drivers?

What do you guys suggest I do? The SSD is only about 2 weeks old, and I want to be able to get down to the bottom of this before a month passes so that I can get a replacement from Newegg in case the problem is from the SSD itself.

Sorry for the long reply and thanks to all that have tried to help so far.
Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 AM   #23
Mo6152

Anyone? I only have about 6 or 7 days to return this to Newegg in exchange for another. I need to find out if it's the cause or not beforehand. What should I do from here?
Old 09-21-2012, 10:13 PM   #24
Mo6152

Well, I tried using the Microsoft AHCI drivers, and I gotta say it lasted a few more days than it did with the AMD drivers, but it froze a few mins ago.

I don't think it's the drivers since both, the Microsoft ones and the latest AMD ones gave the same result. Any ideas on what it might be?

Could it be a bad drive? How do I tell if it is?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:29 AM   #25
TeKraken

Quote:
**pc was fine**

After seeing this, I decided to replug all EXCEPT my old OS drive back in (replugged 2 SATA drives, eSATA bracket for external HDD, and my optical drive). It ran fine for the first day, but then it froze again the second day.

Not sure if this means the cause is from one of my SATA components or not.
If you added evything back in at the same time you can't tell, you'd need to add in one item at a time, test it, then add the next device etc etc...

Quote:

However, 2 new errors have shown up. One showed up for the first time today and it is this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/40710/error%201.PNG
I see those user profile registry unloads on the odd occcasion, never had a freeze with it though.

Quote:
Anyone? I only have about 6 or 7 days to return this to Newegg in exchange for another. I need to find out if it's the cause or not beforehand. What should I do from here?
If the egg will exchange it no questions then I think I would at this point, do you get another 30 days return period?

Quote:
Could it be a bad drive? How do I tell if it is?
The only way to tell for sure is to revert back to a HDD for a bit to check stability.
TeKraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 08:30 AM   #26
Mo6152

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKraken View Post
If you added evything back in at the same time you can't tell, you'd need to add in one item at a time, test it, then add the next device etc etc...

I see those user profile registry unloads on the odd occcasion, never had a freeze with it though.

If the egg will exchange it no questions then I think I would at this point, do you get another 30 days return period?

The only way to tell for sure is to revert back to a HDD for a bit to check stability.
Thanks for the reply. Most people see the huge amount of text and leave. I really appreciate the help.

Yeah I guess I can try that, but that can take a while to actually get. This last freeze took about 8 or 9 days before it actually occurred.

As for returning it to Newegg, it's too late now. It was over 3 days ago
Anyone know how easy is Samsung's RMA process?

As for returning to an HDD, I doubt I'd have problems if I did. Like I said, I was running on one for over a year without any problems. This only started when I went to an SSD. I would do this, but it's just that it can take up to a few days for the freeze to occur again as it's spontaneous. I can't seem to find any trend of when it occurs.

I have heard that the current southbrdige in my motherboard (the SB850) was the first one to support SATA 6.0 Gb/s and that it had problems with the AHCI and RAID drivers. Then again, this news was when it was first released and people say that it has been fixed.

Could it be something with my motherboard? I can sending it back to Gigabyte and they will probably give me one with the latest revision, but would that actually fix anything?

What do you suggest I do next?

Good thing is I'm starting work and school next week so I will be on my laptop on weekdays which means I can afford having a nonworking desktop for a few weeks.
Old 09-23-2012, 08:31 AM   #27
Mo6152

Anyone?
Old 09-23-2012, 09:38 AM   #28
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
You said that the problem never occurred until you added the SSD and if you unplugged everything else from the SATA ports the computer ran fine. That sounds to me like either a power issue or device conflict.

What ports are the other devices plugged into?

The first thing I would do is call Samsung tech support. Depending on what they say, I would then call Gigabyte tech support for the motherboard. The phone calls are generally free and it wouldn't hurt. They may know something that we don't know about their products.
rotNdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:39 AM   #29
Mo6152

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotNdude View Post
You said that the problem never occurred until you added the SSD and if you unplugged everything else from the SATA ports the computer ran fine. That sounds to me like either a power issue or device conflict.

What ports are the other devices plugged into?

The first thing I would do is call Samsung tech support. Depending on what they say, I would then call Gigabyte tech support for the motherboard. The phone calls are generally free and it wouldn't hurt. They may know something that we don't know about their products.
It ran fine for about 5 days with ONLY the SSD plugged in, but that doesn't mean the problem wouldn't have occurred. When I started using the Microsoft AHCI drivers it lasted for about 8-9 days without a freeze.

My motherboard has 8 SATA plugs. 6 of which are SATA 3 and are by the SB850, while the other 2 are SATA 2 by a 3rd party Gigabyte controller which is made by JMicron. I don't have anything plugged into the JMicron controller and I have those 2 SATA ports disabled as well. Basically everything is plugged into the AMD controller SB850.

I doubt it's a power issue because the freeze doesn't occur at high peak times. It occurs at random times when I'm doing simple things like chatting via steam or web browsing. It doesn't occur when I'm copying large amounts of files or playing a game. I think it is a device conflict, just not sure which devices.

I'll give Samsung a call tomorrow and hopefully the person I'm speaking with knows what he's doing.
Old 09-23-2012, 12:25 PM   #30
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
Power issues can occur when ambient temperatures are higher or when the utility incoming voltage is lower. Never rule out anything when you're troubleshooting an issue like this.
rotNdude is online now   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems