Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 09-13-2012, 08:18 PM   #331
superdog_5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmxgroove View Post
... I'm open to any suggestions that you may have.
Here are entires from November 2010 right up to us with the same problem. Look to see if there are any fixes you haven't tried.

Link.

I recommend the easier ones first:
  • Verify integrity
  • Remove launch options
  • Launch from Library
  • Delete addons
  • Delete game and L4D2 files and reinstall
superdog_5678 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:03 PM   #332
vmxgroove

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog_5678 View Post
Here are entires from November 2010 right up to us with the same problem. Look to see if there are any fixes you haven't tried.

Link.

I recommend the easier ones first:
  • Verify integrity
  • Remove launch options
  • Launch from Library
  • Delete addons
  • Delete game and L4D2 files and reinstall
OK I understand. I'll try all this stuff again. Thank you for the information. I'll let ya know if any of this works.
vmxgroove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:04 AM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #333
chetf

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by POLICEMATRIX View Post
this is a disgrace still not fixed and lots of updates for a free game come on..... people paid good money here
The issue has been fixed. I have messaged vmxgroove numerous times, he has another issue preventing him from connecting to certain servers, it has nothing to do with the initial problem noted in this thread.

Thanks
chetf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #334
POLICEMATRIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetf View Post
The issue has been fixed. I have messaged vmxgroove numerous times, he has another issue preventing him from connecting to certain servers, it has nothing to do with the initial problem noted in this thread.

Thanks
well thank you , and thats just what we needed some official word , also any news about what the update originally was for ?
POLICEMATRIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #335
kacper4646

Quote:
The issue has been fixed.
Thanks
I still get that error when I use quick game. There is no problem while connecting form lobby, but when I get disconnected from the server I joined through lobby I am unable to reconnect because of VAC-addons-error. I use some custom models, kaizen config and some boot parameters (recently i redownloaded whole game but no change). I used all these custom things before update so they should not be a problem. Any advice on that beside the obvious "reinstal / delete all/ don't use addons ? Perhaps the issue is not completely fixed?
kacper4646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #336
Sgt_Svg101

Quote:
...any news about what the update originally was for ?
Well, apparently this is the update that started the whole mess:

25 Aug 2012Left 4 Dead 2 - Authoring Tools Update Released
Product Update - Valve
Updates to Left 4 Dead 2 - Authoring Tools have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The major changes include:
- Added handlers for two crash types that weren't getting picked up by our crash reporting system

The original thread is below
http://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=550
Sgt_Svg101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #337
vmxgroove

Quote:

Thanks
That's incorrect. Actually, it has been the same issue all along. Since the Steam Client update in question, many of us continue have the same error. For the record, you and I only have 3 messages between us. NOT numerous as you have indicated. Please don't spin this. I can post our messages if you'd like. At this point, it appears that the initial update caused corruption of the Steam Client installed on my system. This is why I cannot connect.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #338
vmxgroove

Quote:
well thank you , and thats just what we needed some official word , also any news about what the update originally was for ?
I agree with POLICEMATRIX. We just needed someone to help us fix this. NOT just pretend that it is all fixed. IT IS NOT... As of today I still have the exact same issue that started with the Steam Client update. All of the people that played on my Local Server last night are still having the same problem. I know this because I ask them when they join. The problem isn't the mistake. It's the lack of information and attempt to discount our reports that it is still occuring. Bad customer service.
Old 09-14-2012, 04:58 PM   #339
vmxgroove

OK, problem resolved. Yes it was in fact a corruption caused by the update. I don't get why only some of us were affected, but that's what happened. If anybody is still experiencing this error, you MUST do the following:

1) Back up your game, including your spray if you have one

2) Uninstall Steam and L4D2

3) Delete ANY files left behind

4) Reboot your computer

5) Reinstall Steam and then L4D2

6) Re-import your spray. For whatever reason the backup misses that.

7) Get online and kill some Zombies! They deserve it.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:12 AM   #340
kacper4646

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmxgroove View Post
OK, problem resolved. Yes it was in fact a corruption caused by the update. I don't get why only some of us were affected, but that's what happened. If anybody is still experiencing this error, you MUST do the following:

1) Back up your game, including your spray if you have one

2) Uninstall Steam and L4D2

3) Delete ANY files left behind

4) Reboot your computer

5) Reinstall Steam and then L4D2

6) Re-import your spray. For whatever reason the backup misses that.

7) Get online and kill some Zombies! They deserve it.
I confirm. It worked for me. Thank you.
kacper4646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #341
gwales

Valve doesn't give a , right? I don't want, and shouldn't have, to reinstall, etc. There are all kinds of potential problems here for non-expert computer users.

I have been using Steam since its beginning, and I find this an inexplicable and contemptible treatment of users. Reminds me of Apple at its worst.
gwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 09:46 PM   #342
gwales

So I uninstalled Steam and ALL my files were deleted.
gwales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:10 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #343
chetf

Valve
If you are still having this issue - can you pm me with the steps you have taken and where you are located? Please also include your steam account name if you don't link to it already.

The original issue is resolved - the unsigned binaries are signed - that's what is in the depot. It should be working. We cannot replicate it not working. Some people are either not getting the binaries updated or something else is happening - so please, pm me.

thanks
Old 09-25-2012, 11:58 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #344
chetf

Valve
If you are still having this issue - please check to see if you are running with -insecure in your launch line. Please remove it.

If you are running that way and try to connect to a dedicated server you can get the "remove plug-ins" message instead of saying you need to run in a secure method. We will have a message change in the next update to help clarify the issue you are having.

Reinstalling just worked because it wiped your command line launch options.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:43 AM   #345
Gurluas

This is still not working for me. Is Metamod and Sourcemod no longer authorized?
Gurluas is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > H - L > Left 4 Dead 2