Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems

Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM   #1
Mo6152

Windows Defender...is it actually useful?

I keep getting updates via windows updates for this thing. Does it actually help or should I just disable it. I'm using Avast as my main AV.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
rotNdude

Volunteer Moderator
Your confidence in Avast should dictate whether or not you keep running Windows Defender. If Defender isn't getting any results, then you can probably get rid of it. On the other hand, if Avast isn't getting any results, then you can assume there isn't any need for either. That is a bad idea though. If Defender or Avast aren't causing any issues with performance or download caps on your Internet, I wouldn't worry about it.
rotNdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
99Reaper99

And disabling Defender can lead to it telling you all the time to enable it on start up unless you remove a registry value (at least in my case). But as rotN said, no issues, you can just ignore it.

Really all you need is Avast and the Firewall. For curiosity's sake if you want to see where Avast itself stands against others, check out www.av-test.org . Sort of the authority on AV benchmarks.
99Reaper99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 PM   #4
zezzex

here is an important question...what os are you using? If you are using windows 8, then windows defender is acutally the windows 7 version of Microsoft Security Essentials. MSE is a steam forum favorite. It is a great anti-virus scanner.

In previous versions of windows, Windows defender has never been a popular app, and I never use it.
zezzex is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Hardware and Operating Systems