Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dreamcast Collection

Old 09-22-2012, 12:50 PM   #1
Leprekaun

Jet Set Radio - Any way to add custom tracks to this game?

Hi all. I bought JSR HD on Steam just yesterday. I absolutely love this game. My DC still works (thankfully) so I was torn between getting an original DC release and HD version because of the whole 2 missing tracks from the HD release but precisely because of it being a PC game, it made me think that eventually, someone will hack the .ARC filetype and be able to extract the music (which I believe is found in steamapps\common\Jet Set Radio\CUSTOM) in a file called MUSIC.ARC. So, you can get where I'm going with this, extract that file, add the two missing tracks that were in the original DC release, and repack it again. I have no hacking knowledge when it comes to packed files so I couldn't do it myself so would anyone know how to open these .ARC files?

Last edited by Leprekaun: 09-22-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #2
Xiangming

I'm searching to see if anyone else has figured this out as well.

In addition to ADD songs to the game I would definitely DELETE that RobZombie song...
Xiangming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 PM   #3
Leprekaun

Ok, just a small update on my findings on this. I found two programs which claim to open .ARC files (Universal Extractor and IZArc) but both can't open any of the JSR .arc files which I'm guessing because those files are encrypted.
Leprekaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
Saijin_Naib

Foreign Legion: BoB forum
Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leprekaun View Post
Ok, just a small update on my findings on this. I found two programs which claim to open .ARC files (Universal Extractor and IZArc) but both can't open any of the JSR .arc files which I'm guessing because those files are encrypted.
Give DragonUnpack a try
Saijin_Naib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:32 PM   #5
Xiangming

DragonUnpack didn't work, but it looks very promising. Hopefully they'll add support for Jet Set Radio soon.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:37 PM   #6
Saijin_Naib

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiangming View Post
DragonUnpack didn't work, but it looks very promising. Hopefully they'll add support for Jet Set Radio soon.
Did you try the HyperRipper tool in DragonUnpack?
Old 09-23-2012, 07:36 AM   #7
Xiangming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saijin_Naib View Post
Did you try the HyperRipper tool in DragonUnpack?
Didn't notice that option. It found 224 ogg files, I'm going through them now.
Thanks for the suggestion! ^_^

Edit: They aren't whole songs though, it's like they were split between multiple files.
I ran it again with the ! formats and it found 52 .669 files. Going to see if I can find a way to play those.

Edit2: Winamp will play the .669 files, but the ones from music.arc are corrupt. DragonUnpack did say that the ! file types may find false positives, so I assume that's what happened.

Last edited by Xiangming: 09-23-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 01:03 PM   #8
Saijin_Naib

Volunteer Moderator
Keep up the good fight! It can be a nightmare to try and extract game resources from certain containers.

Took me forever to throw together a Super Laser Racer OST because of issues extracting the audio properly.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:41 PM   #9
Kezzaman

it seems the songs are cut up into heaps of segments i presume for the purpose of allowing the fade in and fade out effects when they switch songs. could make it difficult piecing together something reasonable
Kezzaman is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dreamcast Collection