Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V

Old 10-18-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Arthmoor

Exclamation [Workaround] Skyrim Dialogue Bug Fix

So I probably don't need to tell everyone that since Patch 1.6 there have been some problems with creating quests that contain dialogue. We all refer to it as the "dialogue bug" and it's been a pretty big thorn in everyone's sides if you're making quest mods.

The gist of the problem is this: You have quests with dialogue. These quests are marked as "start game enabled". Your quests start, but the dialogue is not properly initialized. Your dialogue therefore fails, any attached script fragments MAY fail, and your scenes don't play. We've been waiting for a fix for it for some time now. That wait is over.

Recently, I was approached in private by one of the Bethesda developers (if they wish to identify themselves, they can, I won't out them) to test a potential workaround for this issue. After some initial testing, and seeing that it appeared to work, I asked them to contact Alexander J. Velicky, the author of the Falskaar mod, for another opinion since I knew he has a ton of dialogue related issues as a result of all this. He too has since confirmed the workaround fixes the problem. Fortunately, it's actually fairly simple to do.

The process, using Steam:

1. Go to Steam. Switch to the tools view.
2. Find the Creation Kit, open its properties.
3. Click "set launch options"
4. Enter a command like this: -GenerateSEQ:pluginname.esp (Where pluginname.esp is your mod file)
5. Save the changes.
6. Launch the CK and DO NOT disturb it while it processes.
7. Once it closes, remove the launch options you entered so you can use the CK normally again.
8. Move the file to your Data\SEQ folder.

You can also do this from the Windows command line:

1. Open CMD.
2. Navigate your way to where Skyrim is installed. (By default: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\skyrim)
3. Type in the following command: creationkit.exe -GenerateSEQ:pluginname.esp (Where pluginname.esp is your mod file)
4. The CK will launch and perform some processing.
5. Move the file to your Data\SEQ folder.

Note that the command line process may only work once. I've never been able to get it to work again since the first try. So I had to switch to the Steam method, which Alexander suggested.

The SEQ file will need to be regenerated any time you add a new start-enabled quest to your mod, delete one from the mod, or toggle the "start game enabled" flag on a quest in your mod. So it's important to remember this.

When I tested this, the command line option only worked once and has failed to ever work again. The Steam method works without fail each time, but it's a pain.

Good news is, once the developers cleared Alexander and I to share this knowledge, I contacted Zilav (TES5Edit) and he'll be including support to generate this file through TES5Edit as well.

The file itself is nothing more than a series of form IDs for each quest in your mod that's been flagged as start-enabled. It's encoded though, so you can't just type it out by hand.

TES5Edit will be the easiest method for generating this file since it will place it in the proper folder for you, rather than the CK simply dropping it in the same place as creationkit.exe.

Distribute the generated .SEQ file with your mod in the usual fashion.

At this time, we have not been told whether or not this will be included as an official menu option within the CK. So for now just proceed as though it won't be added to the UI.

Modders should be the one to generate this for distribution, but in a pinch, users can also follow the steps until modders can get around to generating it.

Last edited by Arthmoor: 10-18-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #2
Mehrunes Dagon

While we're on this thread, I found somethin that may or may not be related to Hearthfire posted by someone else, but not sure if it's been covered by the UHFP already;

Quote:
So, I got Hearthfire today. Built my house most of the way up and whatnot and decided to adopt a kid. I read online that Constance Michel needs to send you a letter about adoption, but I have not received one. She is currently running around the orphanage in a panic because some time ago I killed Grelod. Is there a way to make her calm down and return to normal dialogue? I killed Grelod while completely hidden and behind closed doors, I've been casting "calm" on Michel to no avail, and even using the console the set the relationship rank up has done nothing.

Anybody?

Edit: Disabled her, spawned another Michel. This one is also in panic mode.
Edit2: After making dressers in my house (forgot to), I can now adopt the children out in the world but not any of them at the Orphanage, so technically still having the same issue. I hope someone has a fix for someday.
What seems odd to me is that I've encountered the "constant panic" issue with Constance before and I don't have Hearthfire, so it couldn't necessarily be connected, yet he seems to have noticed it only after getting Hearthfire. Any suggestions?
Mehrunes Dagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
Arthmoor

That doesn't belong here, so after this response I'd appreciate it if such issues were contained to the threads they belong in, thanks.

One must complete the Aretino quest in order to stop that. Kill Grelod, return to the kid, and that should put an end to it. It sounds like that person simply hasn't followed through to completion.
Arthmoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:57 AM   #4
xybolt

So might i interpret that CK is bit bugged too, like the game ? Maybe the bugs ingame is caused by a bugged CK xD.
xybolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:04 AM   #5
Arthmoor

Not really. The SEQ files were introduced into the system with Patch 1.6. We just weren't told of their existence, and nobody was really paying much attention to what quietly showed up in Update.bsa at the time.

I suspect this will end up being a permanent requirement in much the same way CTRL+F4 fixes the grey face NPC thing everyone once thought was a bug.
Old 10-20-2012, 12:05 AM   #6
Stavius Dreeg

Where do I find the .seq file after I generate it?
Stavius Dreeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
Arthmoor

Sitting in the same folder as creationkit.exe. You need to move it from there to Data\SEQ.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V