Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 05:07 PM   #1
ZombifiedTurkey
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Reputation: 0
Posts: 1
Windows RT

Hi all,

I did a search and couldn't find a thread on RT, sorry if there was one, also its different to Windows 8 so I didn't want to post in the existing thread.

My question is.. Is there any plans from Valve to make an app for RT? I've got myself an Asus Vivo RT and I'm loving it, its by far the best tablet I've used, there isn't a lot of apps available just yet but I can be forgiving with that as its brand new.

It would be a lot better if they would have just allowed legacy programs to run on the system but I'll work with it. I love having the xbox game details on there with my live ID etc.. and some arcade games can be played now with points going to my xbox account. Would be great if we could get a similar experience with steam

I do understand though that Microsoft are only allowing apps to be installed via their own store, how very apple of them.

Anyone got some info on any of this?
ZombifiedTurkey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:56 PM   #2
wuliheron
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 298
Posts: 2,677
Valve's Gabe Newell recently complained he believed Windows 8 was an attempt to do just that, extort developers like Apple does for 1/3 the money they make using their app store. I wouldn't hold my breath, Gabe has already suggested developers start to seriously support Linux as an alternative and they're working on a version of Steam for it right now.

It's the same old same old where giant companies try to use proprietary technology to squeeze all the other companies for every last dime. The good news is proprietary technology always loses out in the end as progress is made and it looks like with advances like chip stacking it won't be long before alternatives like Linux become serious competition for the low end and mid range gaming tablets and phones.
wuliheron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:09 AM   #3
MeStinkBAD
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 161
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombifiedTurkey View Post
It would be a lot better if they would have just allowed legacy programs to run on the system but I'll work with it.
It's using an ARM processor. I suggest you find a remote desktop app and use that.

Quote:
I do understand though that Microsoft are only allowing apps to be installed via their own store, how very apple of them.
Does your Xbox allow you to install 3rd party stores? NO! Has Valve said anything negative about Apple? NO! Does Apple prevent valve from distributing Steam for Mac OS? NO! Does Valve charge developers/publishers to use their Steam service? Yes!

Last edited by MeStinkBAD: 10-28-2012 at 04:17 AM.
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 04:28 AM   #4
Tufty94
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 25
Posts: 290
OP, I wouldn't wait around for Valve to launch an App for Steam. Gabe doesn't think too highly of Microsoft's new app sore. Fortunately many other people think the same, so maybe this will be a heavy blow and Microsoft will stop acting like Apple and more like Microsoft again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeStinkBAD View Post
Does your Xbox allow you to install 3rd party stores? NO! Has Valve said anything negative about Apple? NO! Does Apple prevent valve from distributing Steam for Mac OS? NO! Does Valve charge developers/publishers to use their Steam service? Yes!
I'm sorry, but what's your point?
Tufty94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 05:06 AM   #5
MeStinkBAD
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 161
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufty94 View Post
I'm sorry, but what's your point?
My point is I'm agitated! I don't understand how you people criticize Apple for doing the same thing Valve does with Steam.
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 07:38 AM   #6
dat_dupe
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Reputation: 197
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombifiedTurkey View Post
Hi all,

I did a search and couldn't find a thread on RT, sorry if there was one, also its different to Windows 8 so I didn't want to post in the existing thread.

My question is.. Is there any plans from Valve to make an app for RT? I've got myself an Asus Vivo RT and I'm loving it, its by far the best tablet I've used, there isn't a lot of apps available just yet but I can be forgiving with that as its brand new.

It would be a lot better if they would have just allowed legacy programs to run on the system but I'll work with it. I love having the xbox game details on there with my live ID etc.. and some arcade games can be played now with points going to my xbox account. Would be great if we could get a similar experience with steam

I do understand though that Microsoft are only allowing apps to be installed via their own store, how very apple of them.

Anyone got some info on any of this?
if you wanted more openess you should get a tablet with windows pro.
dat_dupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:31 AM   #7
Tufty94
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Reputation: 25
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeStinkBAD View Post
My point is I'm agitated! I don't understand how you people criticize Apple for doing the same thing Valve does with Steam.
Then all of your points are irrelevant. People dislike Apple because of how restrictive and controlling they are of their OS. It is also the reason people are going nuts at Microsoft because they're doing the same with Windows 8.

I don't see how Valve are that restrictive with Steam seeing as, any developer can use SteamWorks in any of their games for free, the community can upload their own mods to Steam for free and without any consent from Valve. Even Greenlight was completely free for anyone to use until people thought it would be funny to flood it with crap.

Last edited by Tufty94: 10-28-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Tufty94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:38 AM   #8
MeStinkBAD
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Reputation: 161
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufty94 View Post
Then all of your points are irrelevant. People dislike Apple because of how restrictive and controlling they are of their OS. It is also the reason people are going nuts at Microsoft because they're doing the same with Windows 8.

I don't see how Valve are that restrictive with Steam seeing as, any developer can use SteamWorks in any of their games for free, the community can upload their own mods to Steam for free and without any consent from Valve. Even Greenlight was completely free for anyone to use until people thought it would be funny to flood it with crap.
This is getting off topic... but you really should read before you post. Took me minutes to locate this info... http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/FAQ.php#Business

Here it clearly states Valve does get a percentage of each sale.

4. What is your revenue split?

We don't discuss our revenue split publicly. Once your game goes through Steam Greenlight, we'll get to those details.


Apple does not prevent people from installing software purchased outside the App store on their hardware. Apple doesn't care if you choose to "jail break" your mobile device. They just ask that the software used to jail break it not be created with the iOS SDK. The SDK, and all documentation needed for development of any of their platforms is free.

Last edited by MeStinkBAD: 10-28-2012 at 11:11 AM.
MeStinkBAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
paratech2008
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 2003
Posts: 7,951
The thing is, with Microsoft, it they ever force PC gaming onto their services, that kills freeware, emulation, possibly Indie games, etc. Nobody has to use Steam to distribute PC games, there's alternatives.

Likewise nobody has to go to an Iphone/Ipad, there's alternative smart phones, pads, etc.

What Microsoft wants to do could kill PC gaming, whereas the tablet/smartphone competition will get killed by the competition.
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #10
freibooter
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Reputation: 977
Posts: 3,127
1. Windows RT is ARM based, no current Windows games support this architecture.
2. Even if they did, desktop software cannot be installed on Windows RT.
3. The only source for software on Windows RT is the Microsoft Store (walled garden, just like iOS), it only sells Metro apps. There is no other supported way of installing anything.
4. Metro apps are 100% sandboxed and cannot download, install or even launch other apps.

=> Steam on Windows RT was purposefully made 100% impossible by Microsoft. It's about as likely as "Steam for iOS".
The only thing we can possibly be see would be a "shop and chat" client like for Android but it won't be what you think of as Steam for Windows.


Regarding Valve's revenue split, it's "flexible" but generally assumed (and documented by several indie developers who just couldn't keep their mouths shut) to be in the 30%+ range, similar to Apple.

The big advantage, however, is that Valve only takes a cut from sales through the Steam store. Apparently developers can sell their games through any source and hand out Steam keys without Valve taking a cut.

Last edited by freibooter: 10-28-2012 at 09:01 AM.
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:39 AM   #11
paratech2008
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 2003
Posts: 7,951
Sorry, I was thinking of Metro. I think RT will get clobbered by its competitors. There are plenty of alternatives to RT for smartphones and pads.
paratech2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
devilishwonder6
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 309
Posts: 466
lmao steamworks free? thats thats the biggest joke there is, it isnt free to use, devs have to pay to use it. valve is just as bad as apple and microsoft, dont kid yourself. actually valve is probably worse cause they dont give a care about thier customers. apple and microsoft at least cares about thier customers enough to give them a fantastic customer support dept, unlike valve prehistoric hide behind a ticket system. also apple and microsfot tend to fix thier bugs pretty fast while valve just lets us deal with the buggy client that is getting worse by the month. you valve fanbois sure crack me up . your all just as bad as the sony/xbox group.
devilishwonder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:04 AM   #13
freibooter
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Reputation: 977
Posts: 3,127
@ devilishwonder6
Yes, Valve's general customer support is ludicrously bad and just about any other player in the industry manages to offer better service in this area. I don't know why Valve's customer support is so terrible but I'm sick of excuses.

However, customer support isn't the only are of respecting one's customers and Valve certainly excels in other areas.

No to just about everything else you said, please get your facts straight before you start sounding like a rambling lunatic ...

Last edited by freibooter: 10-28-2012 at 10:06 AM.
freibooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:14 AM   #14
devilishwonder6
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 309
Posts: 466
sorry to say my fact are straight, not only am i having alot of problems that keep increasing with the client, everyday more threads pop up with people complaning about it. and to this point valve has done nothing to fix any of it, all they have done is add more bloatware to it. if valve cared at all, they would be working on the problems before adding more bloat. the other 2 work hard to fix the bugs, prime example of that was vista, when it released it was horrible to say the least, but they worked hard and finally got it to be decently stable. which tells me they care about the customer in that aspect . all we hear from valve is oh that bugt has to be something on your pc
devilishwonder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:20 PM   #15
ElijahChondo43
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Reputation: 672
Posts: 1,588
Why are you guys comparing companies that are based on hardware and software while Valve is software only?

Steamworks is free to use, sure you get a little off the sale that goes to Valve, but every company that publishes for another company DOES THE EXACT SAME THING. Also, Valve has much more options and has a friendlier community and a more lively one at that, sure the customer support sucks(not for me, sorry you've been unlucky), but that is irrelevant to this issue.

@devilishwonder6, you do know and can understand that the Help section will probably be filled with a couple hundred people complaining for no good reason or one out of 1,000 people that actually has trouble with support. I've seen bad support from any and all companies myself from physical stores to companies like EA and Microsoft. Also, your Vista example wasn't a good one, people that actually cared about their PC experience whether it's gaming or just surfing the web stuck to XP(and is still with it today) and didn't upgrade to Vista even with SP2, because they don't want to deal with a crappy OS in the first place, it doesn't matter if the OS was eventually fixed, what does matter is how long it took them and how messed up it was from the beginning, which it was tremendously, that's why I'm skipping W8 and won't buy it ever because I vote with my Wallet.

OP, Microsoft is trying to close the market, you won't get a Steam app for RT for a LONG time, because of two reasons; 1. Microsoft won't allow it, 2. Steam/Valve does not want to do business with Microsoft at all.

I also love how that turned into a Valve/Steam Support hate thread and everyone's reasons to hate them are just idiotic claims with no backing.
ElijahChondo43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2012, All Rights Reserved.