Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 11-10-2012, 06:25 AM   #1
Hellmaca

More efficient format? What a lie!?

Just fired up my Darkest Hour. Steam refused to run it, saying it must convert it to a "new, more efficient format". It smelled bad, but having no choice I let it convert. Now my Darkest Hour directory is 6.64GB Arghhhh!

What incompetent lunatics decided to implement this feature? This is a fraud! I bought a game and want to be able to play it without depending on ANY whimsies of Steam's fake "efficiency". What's next? Format of all my disks because it's efficient? Hell no! Next time I'll buy a game from amazon or directly from a vendor.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
caveman26

It converted it so you can now install games through steam to another hdd/location
caveman26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:03 AM   #3
Nekomancer

Also it can now use incremental patches instead of downloading the whole file again. Which means a 24byte change in a 2Gigabyte file won't result in a 2GB download, instead only 24Bytes are downloaded. I would call that more efficient.
Nekomancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #4
MonkeySeeker

Frankly, how things are and how you want them to be are two different things and you either have to accept how things are or stop gaming. Buying from retail doesn't mean you won't need to deal with Steam in future either.

When they say "more efficient" it can mean more than installation directory size. The New Content System is more efficient in a number of ways and allows for things that couldn't be done with the old system.

Out of interest, how big was the directory before the update?
MonkeySeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #5
lee1davis1

Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySeeker View Post
Frankly, how things are and how you want them to be are two different things and you either have to accept how things are or stop gaming. Buying from retail doesn't mean you won't need to deal with Steam in future either.

When they say "more efficient" it can mean more than installation directory size. The New Content System is more efficient in a number of ways and allows for things that couldn't be done with the old system.

Out of interest, how big was the directory before the update?
Thanks for linking steams announcement post. Though I noticed the date was July 15, 2011 and they are just now implementing it...Hmmm what is up with that?
lee1davis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
thetechfreak

This system will be benifit us only in the long run. As we buy more games and more updates are out we will see the difference
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee1davis1 View Post
Thanks for linking steams announcement post. Though I noticed the date was July 15, 2011 and they are just now implementing it...Hmmm what is up with that?
With the magnitude of different developers and games on Steam something like this is bound to take time
thetechfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
Rusty Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman26 View Post
It converted it so you can now install games through steam to another hdd/location
I am not seeing how to install to a alternate hdd could someone speak into this more?
Rusty Silver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:31 PM   #8
morrighu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmaca View Post
Just fired up my Darkest Hour. Steam refused to run it, saying it must convert it to a "new, more efficient format". It smelled bad, but having no choice I let it convert.
I too got this on Skyrim. And like you, I had no choice but to let it try. It ran through the coversion process and now it's downloading all of the "missing content". The "missing content" seems to be whole g*&d*&$# game! Steam is now downloading ALL of Skyrim - AGAIN! It's finally at a point where it says it will be ready to launch in another 1 hour and 46 minutes.

Quote:
Totally agree! I had a couple of hours to try to play and what do I get - a download status bar.

Quote:
What incompetent lunatics decided to implement this feature?
A bunch of developers who don't have to use their own system.

Quote:
This is a fraud!
I agree. We should be compensated for being denied access to thing which we purchased. While I may not own the game, I do own the right to play it when *I* want, not when Steam feels like letting me.

Quote:
Next time I'll buy a game from amazon or directly from a vendor.
And unfortunately the young lady is correct. I got my POS from Gamestop. No mention of Steam, Valve, etc. and it was the PC version. I was not aware, when I bought it, that I would have to download the game or I would never have bought it. I live in BFE and our internet sucks rocks to say the least. So you can buy the game from anywhere but if it's distributed through Steam, you will still end up dealing with their client software that crashes and otherwise behaves badly because Steam has apparently hired the cheapest window-lickers they could find to write their code.
morrighu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:41 AM   #9
MonkeySeeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Silver View Post
I am not seeing how to install to a alternate hdd could someone speak into this more?
First opt into the beta.

In the Steam client in the top left click Steam then click Settings.
On the "Account" tab under beta participation, change it from none to Steam Beta Update then let Steam restart and update.

Then once Steam is running again click Steam then Settings again.
Click the Downloads+Cloud tab
At the bottom should be a Steam Library Folders button. Click that and you can add any folders you want Steam to use as alternate directories.

Then in future when installing a game that supports it (one that is already using the new content delivery system) you will be offered a drop down box choice of where to install it.
MonkeySeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:17 AM   #10
digitalgenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by morrighu View Post
I too got this on Skyrim. And like you, I had no choice but to let it try. It ran through the coversion process and now it's downloading all of the "missing content". The "missing content" seems to be whole g*&d*&$# game! Steam is now downloading ALL of Skyrim - AGAIN! It's finally at a point where it says it will be ready to launch in another 1 hour and 46 minutes.

Totally agree! I had a couple of hours to try to play and what do I get - a download status bar.

A bunch of developers who don't have to use their own system.

I agree. We should be compensated for being denied access to thing which we purchased. While I may not own the game, I do own the right to play it when *I* want, not when Steam feels like letting me.

And unfortunately the young lady is correct. I got my POS from Gamestop. No mention of Steam, Valve, etc. and it was the PC version. I was not aware, when I bought it, that I would have to download the game or I would never have bought it. I live in BFE and our internet sucks rocks to say the least. So you can buy the game from anywhere but if it's distributed through Steam, you will still end up dealing with their client software that crashes and otherwise behaves badly because Steam has apparently hired the cheapest window-lickers they could find to write their code.
Before anyone decides to flame me for resurrecting this forum, I'm here to provide info not posted elsewhere; at least non that I've found.

First, research your purchases as it was well known months before Skyrim's release that it would be STEAM only. Next, I bought my copy from Gamestop as well. Guess what? That DVD has the game on it. The download was most likely patches.

Whenever you "Just have a couple of hours to play" start Steam in Offline mode before trying to open any game. This will prevent it from scanning the game and installing or converting it.

Get used to this kind of stuff. Steam and EA have both proven how their clients get games into the hands of gamers faster and cheaper for everyone involved. If you don't believe me, you've never seen Steam's sales.

I've personally purchased more than 300+ games from Steam alone and have only rarely not been able to play any game.
digitalgenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #11
SlightlySlight

This happened to me earlier today. It used up the only bit of play time I had for the day.
It also changed the resolution setting for the game to a setting that is out of my monitor's range, which resulted in a black screen when I started the game.

I finally got that fixed (search your Steam folder for video.txt) but now I'm getting the following error message every time I start the game:

Left 4 dead: left4dead2.exe - Entry Point Not Found
The procedure entry point RIB_unregistered_interface could not be located in the dynamic link library mss32.dll.
SlightlySlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:50 AM   #12
Epsilon

http://steamcommunity.com/app/550/di...2620819230493/
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:57 AM   #13
HavocInferno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmaca View Post
Next time I'll buy a game from amazon or directly from a vendor.
That's funny, because the majority of new releases require you to register your game to Steam or a comparable service anyway.
HavocInferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:04 PM   #14
TheSagetEffect

You're not going to escape Steam if you're a PC gamer, unless you want to miss out on some really good Steamworks titles. Anyways, the new content format allows for installation on separate hard drives and improves download speeds for users in certain locations (though not all). But honestly this is a big deal to be making about a bit more hard drive space... maybe if you're running a pretty small SSD it might be a reasonable complaint.

I will admit that Valve does seem to pretend everyone has 10-megabit connections and can download their whole library overnight and thus often imposes large downloads on their users.
TheSagetEffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 05:26 PM   #15
Epsilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSagetEffect View Post
I will admit that Valve does seem to pretend everyone has 10-megabit connections and can download their whole library overnight and thus often imposes large downloads on their users.
One of the other benefits of the new content system is smaller patches because files are now delta-updated. Just the initial switchover is a bit rougher because that has to replace whole files if they're updated.

Another point: apart from a few exceptions (games which used to be stored in GCF files, mostly) the way files are kept on disk is exactly the same. It's mostly a change in how Steam does the book-keeping on what's installed.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips