Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Bot Feedback

Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
aabicus

Do Heavy bots ever use the shotgun?

My internet has been out for a week, so I have been playing against bots for sometime exclusively. One thing I've noticed: regardless of the difficulty, opponent, or situation, heavy bots never, ever EVER use the shotgun. (Or the fists, but nobody uses their melee).

Has anyone ever seen a heavy bot use the shotgun? If not, this is further justification for giving heavy bots the sandvich by default.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #2
Assbandit

Only on the rare occasion that they run out of ammo in their minigun, if that.
Assbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:57 AM   #3
Gedeon

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Assbandit View Post
that and only if there's no enemy in sight

otherwise they just keep spinning a empty minigun
Gedeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 01:45 AM   #4
The Medic

Only if they run out of ammo and spin down. Otherwise they just spin on forever.
The Medic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:13 AM   #5
The Pyro King

Yes, they do in Normal difficulty and upwards, when they run out of Minigun ammo. They switch to the Shotgun. But, in Easy difficulty, they'll just keep trying to fire with their ammoless Minigun, and that happened when I was playing with bots. I covered him in rainbows to death with my Rainblower.
The Pyro King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:29 AM   #6
aabicus

If there aren't enemies around, why would the heavy run out of ammo?

If the heavy runs out of ammo with enemies around, what are the odds he'll live to refill?

Honestly, just give the heavy the sandvich. If the shotgun AI is really only working in this unlikely scenario, everyone's favorite lunchbox item would do a better job as bot secondary. I always feel bad for those bot medics, always at like 10% health running behind overhealed heavies.
aabicus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 05:55 AM   #7
Deadman0307

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabicus View Post
If the heavy runs out of ammo with enemies around, what are the odds he'll live to refill?
Teammates.

@OP: What these people said, also if there are no enemies in sight he will search for dispensers and ammo boxes to refill.
Deadman0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
exchef123

I seen a shotgun heavy run past every ammo crate, every dropped weapon, every dispenser, to get a small ammopack on the other side of the map.

I was his medic. I got a lot of über from the journey.
exchef123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #9
SLDT

It's rare, but they do switch to the shotgun. Though annoyingly enough, they always seem pretty competent about getting more ammo when they're on the other team.
SLDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:42 AM   #10
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pyro King View Post
Yes, they do in Normal difficulty and upwards, when they run out of Minigun ammo. They switch to the Shotgun. But, in Easy difficulty, they'll just keep trying to fire with their ammoless Minigun, and that happened when I was playing with bots. I covered him in rainbows to death with my Rainblower.
i've witnessed heavy bots on normal and hard spinning forever as they crawl towards the nearest ammo pile
apdonato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:34 AM   #11
sitebender

Why should they? I rarely see human heavies use shotguns. I think shotguns are more of an on the go weapon, but then there's a risk / reward sort of thing with using the shotgun on the go. If there's 1 weak enemy using the shotgun dispatches them quickly. If you run into more than one weapon you need to switch and spin up, which takes time.
sitebender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitebender View Post
Why should they? I rarely see human heavies use shotguns. I think shotguns are more of an on the go weapon, but then there's a risk / reward sort of thing with using the shotgun on the go. If there's 1 weak enemy using the shotgun dispatches them quickly. If you run into more than one weapon you need to switch and spin up, which takes time.
why not? any variability in the AI code would certainly help with realism...
Old 04-19-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
Provocateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assbandit View Post
All I see if they run out of ammo is they still keep standing and trying to shoot with the empty gun.
Provocateur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 12:17 PM   #14
exchef123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Provocateur View Post
All I see if they run out of ammo is they still keep standing and trying to shoot with the empty gun.
When the enemy leaves the area, he will spin down, switching to the shotgun.

---

Also, I have rarely seen a shotgun wielding heavybot actually use the weapon! I was a medic, hitting a shotgun heavy, while he was being healed by a medic, and he never returned fire. instead, he tried to get the ammopack that I was blocking from him.
exchef123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
apdonato

Quote:
Originally Posted by exchef123 View Post
When the enemy leaves the area, he will spin down, switching to the shotgun.

---

Also, I have rarely seen a shotgun wielding heavybot actually use the weapon! I was a medic, hitting a shotgun heavy, while he was being healed by a medic, and he never returned fire. instead, he tried to get the ammopack that I was blocking from him.
they will not reload their shotgun until they expend their clip from what i've seen, as with engies and the other classes with shotguns

and if they are in a fire fight, they will only reload one round, then fire, reload one round, and fire again

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Bot Feedback