Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Secret of Monkey Island series

Old 01-13-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Snowmoon

My Review of Monkey 1 and 2 Special Editions (Pretty good remakes not to be missed)

Please Note:
I have played both games when they were out way back in the early 90s on floppy disks. Both are definitely very good graphic adventure games and are considered the best in PC Gaming history.

I'm not sure how the new generation of gamers would see the Monkey Island series now,
but i do hope they at least give it a try.

They are a reminder of how enjoyable games used to be in the past, when games are a labour of love
instead of the now multi-billion dollar faceless corporate tools used to milk people for money.

================================================== =========================

The Secret of Monkey Island 1 - Special Edition
===============================================

The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition is a 2009 remake of the original point and click adventure game which was made back in 1990.

Storywise, nothing has changed from the original, and after close to 20 years, it is still as funny and witty as ever. It certainly was very nostalgic to replay it again with enhanced visuals and music + voice acting. The story alone is worth 9.5 / 10. As i have played thru the game before, it took me about 4 hours to complete the game. For someone who is new to this game, it will probably take close to 15 hours or more depending on how fast they can solve the puzzles.

As this is a remake the graphics have certainly been ramped up from the original, although i felt that the modern look looks dated as compared to latest current adventure games. Its nice though that they have included the function to switch between 2009 and original audiovisuals at will.

The original verb commands UI was removed and replaced with 3 alternate input methods, firstly using scroll wheel to select action, secondly using hotkeys, thirdly using a single hotkey to display the list of verbs. Even though there were 3 different methods, they all still felt clunky as i thought it would have been better if they had used the UI that was used in another older Lucasarts game "Full Throttle".

Other downsides include mouse clicks being quite unresponsive when clicking on options and no way to have modern voice acting with the original visuals, no additional extra bonus materials. None of these however, really matter much as this is a classic game that deserves its place among the greatest PC games of all time.

Overall Rating: 8.5 / 10
A refreshing remake, although slightly marred by unresponsive mouse controls. Feel free to add more points if that does not bother you. Veteran gamers will definitely appreciate the nostalgia and newer gamers can have a chance to experience one of the earliest classics in PC gaming history.

================================================== =============

Monkey Island 2 - Le Chuck's Revenge Special Edition
================================================== ==

Compared to the earlier 2009 Secret of Monkey Island 1 remake, this 2010 remake of Monkey Island 2 - Le Chuck's Revenge is a much more polished product.

Monkey Island 2 itself is the sequel which was originally released back in 1991 by Lucasarts. The story remains the same in this remake and like the earlier remake, allows you to switch between different versions of the game at will. This time they have also integrated the new voice acting with the original visuals so in a way, we now finally have a "talkie" version of Monkey 2 after so many years.

Whats improved now is definitely the mouse support, which is smooth and responsive compared to the Monkey 1 remake. The control system has been revamped and it feels alot easier to use and play. In addition to the base game, there are extra contents such as concept arts, achievements and best of all even a developer commentary track that appears at specific parts of the game.

The developer commentary track is definitely the best addition as it gathers some of the original game developers such as Ron Gilbert, Tim Schafer and Dave Grossman where they talk about the fun and little tidbits they had while making the game. Its really interesting to hear them comment about the game which can definitely bring a whole new perspective to the game that we are all already familiar with.

The only downside i can see is that this remake has removed the "Easy Mode" that was available in the original. In the original, you had an option to choose between an Easy Mode and the Normal Mode, with Easy Mode being reduced and much easier puzzles. Not a big deal at all really, just wanted to point that out.

Overall Rating: 9.5 / 10
The best remake done so far, combining a modern user interface with enhanced graphics, with bonus extras for long time Monkey Island fans. Newcomers to the series is advised to play the first game though as this sequel has some jokes that are better appreciated if you had played Monkey Island 1 first. Definitely a worthy buy. Don't miss this excellent sequel to one of the best PC Graphic Adventure games of all time.

Last edited by Snowmoon: 01-13-2013 at 06:10 AM.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #2
Marsbergen

Great reviews. Hope more people decide to check out these killer classics, and maybe then we can get some more Special Editions!
Marsbergen is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Secret of Monkey Island series