Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 02-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #61
hockeybrianboy

WTF

Why the did steam have to go and screw up a perfectly working client. I've tried everything listed in here and nothing's working.
hockeybrianboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:39 PM   #62
Deinon

Red face

Like others I have never had problems with any Steam update except for the latest 110 MB one. It stops randomly in the download with every solution I try, so it's not even a reproducible crash. I get the same message about needing to be online to update, but my internet connection is fine and everything else works.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling steam, disabling/uninstalling virus/spyware detection software, deleting all of the steam folder contents except for the steam.exe, modifying the offline registry entry, turning on "Automatic" on the Steam client services, running the Steamtmp file. They all result in the same error at random points in the download even if I repeat the same method.

Once it downloaded all except 20 kb of the update and then quit with the error message. I almost threw my computer out of the window. I have $240 of software locked up in Steam and not usable now!
Deinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:35 PM   #63
DarkLite123

Cannot get Steam working. Tried Google DNS, tried SteamTmp.exe, tried Steam.exe, checked registry, tried reinstalling and can't even do that.

Help.
DarkLite123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:37 PM   #64
frogmirefrost

Well I had Steam installed and was getting the not online error. I tried the registry fix but it didn't work. I then tried the steamtmp.exe and that allowed me to open Steam, but only if I used that exe file. I then decided to try and reinstall steam from scratch after uninstalling it, it can't even finish a complete install now without getting the online error. Using steamtmp.exe now tells me "ERROR: invalid segment uncompressed file length". /sigh.

TL;DR - None of the fixes have worked for me and now Steam isn't even installing completely.

Last edited by frogmirefrost: 02-17-2013 at 04:51 PM.
frogmirefrost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:16 PM   #65
yatterman

http://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/commen...jego?context=3

Can you add this to the list of fixes? It fixed it for me.
yatterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #66
Deinon

Tried the reddit link solution, but still get the error. No fix.
Deinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:22 PM   #67
Dreadjaws

Thanks, OP! This saved my life! (Disclaimer: not literally)
Dreadjaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 02:13 PM   #68
Hantsuki03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faliwn View Post
Ok, so when I started Steam today, I got the error of "Steam needs to be online to update but was set to offline mode" and couldn't even start Steam. My solution was this:

Restarted Steam and it updated. This worked for me, but I'm not sure if it would work for anyone else. I had found the solution after looking for the solution itself and only finding Mac answers, to which I modified for Windows users.

If the above solution doesn't work, try this from Hal853:

If both of these solutions don't work, then my only suggestion would be to uninstall and reinstall steam, since that has solved the issue for some people (though I myself would really hate to do that). I'm not a computer wizard unfortunately, so troubleshooting isn't really my thing. Just to add, registries can be dangerous to mess around with so don't go changing random values in all your entries.

Another possible solution (Credit to earthquaker501):

(Tell me if you didn't want your solution up here, I'll take it off)
WHAT IF: I'm using windows 8? I can't access it like that because technically, it doesn't have the start button on the lower left like windows 7 and older pcs have
Hantsuki03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:24 PM   #69
SaturdaySnax

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogmirefrost View Post
Well I had Steam installed and was getting the not online error. I tried the registry fix but it didn't work. I then tried the steamtmp.exe and that allowed me to open Steam, but only if I used that exe file. I then decided to try and reinstall steam from scratch after uninstalling it, it can't even finish a complete install now without getting the online error. Using steamtmp.exe now tells me "ERROR: invalid segment uncompressed file length". /sigh.

TL;DR - None of the fixes have worked for me and now Steam isn't even installing completely.
I'm in the EXACT same situation. I can't get a fresh clean steam install to work.
SaturdaySnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 PM   #70
US_Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturdaySnax View Post
I'm in the EXACT same situation. I can't get a fresh clean steam install to work.
A lot of us in the same boat. I put in a support request a few days ago but haven't heard anything back.
US_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:37 AM   #71
SaturdaySnax

Put in my support ticket yesterday. If I get a response that helps, I'll post it here.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:56 AM   #72
DarkDXZ

I am in a dire need of help, too.
Nothing that I tried from this thread worked - messing with registries, redownloading Steam, and now even SteamTmp refuses to work.

Haven't sent a support ticket yet, but I guess I will.
DarkDXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:30 PM   #73
AlfieWilRus

Banned
Well, I tried using my Skyrim disc and by the grace of God steam actually updated without getting the damn error. And I'm currently installing Skyrim again.

I guess buying the disc has saved me this time.
AlfieWilRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #74
DarkDXZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfieWilRus View Post
Well, I tried using my Skyrim disc and by the grace of God steam actually updated without getting the damn error. And I'm currently installing Skyrim again.

I guess buying the disc has saved me this time.
Yeah, but everyone else out there is stuck with more than just Skyrim, you know...
Not all games have a disc to let you play w/o Steam.

And even if they do have a disc, they still need Steam.
DarkDXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 PM   #75
SaturdaySnax

I'm in!!!! Saw someone from valve suggest booting into safe mode with networking in another thread and it worked. Here's what I did:

1. Moved steamapps folder to somewhere safe
2. Uninstalled steam
3. Restarted (don't know if necessary)
4. Downloaded steam and installed
5. Saw the stupid updating problem, had the stupid not connected to the internet message, etc ...
6. Deleted everything from steam folder except for steam.exe
7. Restarted computer
8. Booted into safe mode with networking
9. Launched steam from the .exe in the steam folder, not the shortcut
10. Steam updated and started as usual
11. Closed steam, moved my steamapps folder back in, restarted steam and I'm all set.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips