Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 02-18-2013, 11:17 PM   #76
h0rnytoad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurtonJ View Post
Unfortunately, we have no control over third party applications. It is common for AV software to interfere with other applications (not just Steam).

Other known offenders are "optimizer" programs. The tend to do more harm than good and should be avoided all together.
Of course you have a say in this, contact the companies and collaborate to get steam on a whitelist.

It starts by openning a dialog.
h0rnytoad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:18 PM   #77
h0rnytoad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fball82 View Post
Well, after attempting no additional troubleshooting, steam has magically downloaded the update and is now working for me. Hopefully this is the same for others.
try a reboot and let us know if it still happens ?
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 AM   #78
Feiafox

Finally this morning it downloaded the update, without getting the message. Seems to be working now.

I didn´t do most of the given fixes. Am on a work computer and couldn´t/wanted to do them. Only thing i did was eraseing everything other than steamapps folder + steam.exe (and that didn´t work until this morning).
Feiafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:36 AM   #79
US_Ranger

Still broken over here. Any word on a fix for this?
US_Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #80
US_Ranger

Still broken.

Can I at least get a word from someone at Valve saying they are/are not going to fix it? If there is no fix, I can at least uninstall Steam and not have to keep trying it through the day.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 PM   #81
rzr_

I suspect if you are behind any sort of corporate grade firewall then the new Steam updates will fail. I have just done a new install of Steam on a brand new machine and had the exact same failure as before.

My other machines that are not behind said Firewall have had no issues updating at all.
rzr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:55 AM   #82
h0rnytoad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by US_Ranger View Post
Still broken.

Can I at least get a word from someone at Valve saying they are/are not going to fix it? If there is no fix, I can at least uninstall Steam and not have to keep trying it through the day.
you know valve is working on it, BurtonJ answered this and other threads.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:35 AM   #83
DarkLite123

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rnytoad1 View Post
Of course you have a say in this, contact the companies and collaborate to get steam on a whitelist.

It starts by openning a dialog.
How do you whitelist Steam though? You can't do it by file signature or file name, because both of those will happily be abused to hell and back by malware authors who'll masquerade as Steam to bypass firewalls.
DarkLite123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:58 AM   #84
Epsilon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLite123 View Post
How do you whitelist Steam though? You can't do it by file signature or file name, because both of those will happily be abused to hell and back by malware authors who'll masquerade as Steam to bypass firewalls.
Easy, all the Steam binaries are already digitally signed by Valve, which is impossible to fake.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:15 AM   #85
Zymsis

Quote:
Originally Posted by h0rnytoad1 View Post
i think that's another problem, steam can't be so ingrained in the OS to warrant that. i'm thinking your network connection profile had some corruption in it.
well maybe so, but that would result in; my home computer and my laptop - which is on other network with different ISP would have the same problem after the same update.
Zymsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #86
h0rnytoad1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymsis View Post
well maybe so, but that would result in; my home computer and my laptop - which is on other network with different ISP would have the same problem after the same update.
everybody has that problem now, its a steam network problem.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #87
kenloe

Updating my update - after a few days of only being able to launch Steam via the SteamTemp.exe, that has now failed as well. All I get are various 'cannot connect...' error msgs, none of which provide any useful info. I've tried downloading the installer and running the repair function with no luck...I'm afraid I may have to do a total un- and re-install and hope that it doesn't break my highly-modded Fallout; New Vegas install (which is why I keep Steam offline most of the time...so it won't break the F/NV install...like it apparently has anyway).

And if it's a Steam network issue, why then can I successfully log into Steam on my MacBook?

- edit - and now I can't even contact Steam support...system won't recognize my password, but password reset instructions aren't showing up in my e-mail after requesting them. The system recognizes my username but claims it can't find an account under that name.

This is getting better by the minute...unbelievable.

Last edited by kenloe: 02-22-2013 at 01:50 PM.
kenloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:04 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #88
BurtonJ

Valve
Support accounts are separate from Steam accounts. You will need to register a support account.
BurtonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:04 PM   #89
h0rnytoad1

i still get the network popup to retry once or twice each time i start steam.

what is causing this, anyone know ?
Old 02-23-2013, 12:33 AM   #90
US_Ranger

Still.........waiting...........

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips