Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 02-20-2013, 06:13 AM   #61
Gordon Feelsman

Banned
"For example, if the .zip contains custom player models that look like (heaven forbid) ponies, and one of the files is materials/models/player/scout/scout_head.vtf, then you might make a dirctory such as tf/addons/i_love_ponies. You should unzip the mod such that the custom scout head texture ends up at tf/addons/i_love_ponies/materials/models/player/scout/scout_head.vtf."

right in the haters chest
Gordon Feelsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:15 AM   #62
Frugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FletcherD View Post

3.) Everything else. Basically this is arbitrary custom files, loose on disk. You might use this, for example, when you are making your own mod, or if you have a mod that is distributed by somebody who doesn't consider their customers and continues to ship their mod as a .zip. Or you might have a ton of old files that you just want to migrate and not care where they come from. To do this, just make a subdirectory under the addons folder, and then go to town.

E.g.:

tf/addons/my_custom_files/materials/...
tf/addons/my_custom_files/models/...
tf/addons/my_custom_files/resource/...
Just to be clear... we WON'T need to edit the main vpk game file like what was necessary in L4D for custom textures? We just physically add corresponding folders and modding is effectively the same, just the modded directories are centralized?

I quit L4D before VPKs were widely used for non-map mods and I never got to know how to edit mods myself that use VPKs, so I'm hesitant about this new system.

Last edited by Frugal: 02-20-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Frugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:11 AM   #63
Seppuldura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorisoka View Post
Thanks for all the clarifications.

I have a question regarding the new file system: I'm having Steam in a drive formated in FAT32, and TF2 handled this by splitting the bigger GCFs. Will this still be the case with the VPK system, and/or will the conversion go smoothly? If it's even necessary that is, lower size files might be better.
I've downloaded the beta server and the vpk's are much smaller than the gcf's are. The biggest .vpk has around 150 MB.
Seppuldura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:12 AM   #64
Captain M

Quote:
*snip*
While you're here, I have a legitimate suggestion. While transferring my data to SourcePipe in the beta, all of Steam was frozen for me. I even received chats that I was unable to respond to. Therefore, I was wondering if it was possible that, whenever this goes live, the conversion somehow be fixed to run concurrently with Steam, or at least set your status to "busy" before running?

Last edited by Captain M: 02-20-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Captain M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:29 AM   #65
Kidofthecentury

Please, please, tell us that custom maps and other mods could be downloadable from the Workshop.
Kidofthecentury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:01 AM   #66
GordonFrohman74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidofthecentury View Post
Please, please, tell us that custom maps and other mods could be downloadable from the Workshop.
This will happen, but Workshop will fall down. It is already overloaded with a lot of stuff, but maps and idiotic "Farting Rocket Launcher" mods will flood the TF2 Workshop.

I'd like it to add maps only. But I know this won't happen.
GordonFrohman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:24 AM   #67
hawkshadow741

I hope this'll make SourceMod easier to install

No matter what I do, no matter how well I read the "How-to-install"

IT. NEVER. WORKS

putting it all into a single VPK file and tossing it into addons would make it so much easier to use

and to add plugins, you'd open the VPK and just put them in the plugins folder
hawkshadow741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:00 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #68
FletcherD

Valve
To answer a few questions:

"Validating files" every time should be fixed by this change.

We'll migrate certain user config files to the new directory when the real game is converted. (But probably not custom content. That will just stay in the old folder and you can move it to the appropriate place.) We didn't do that for the TF beta, though. We'll have a blog post that explains more details about that when the time comes.

Dedicated servers use the same VPK's as the client.

This update will not add the L4D ability to dynamically add/remove addons. You will have to restart the game. But it lays the groundwork to add that at a later date, as well as Steam workshop integration. This is definitely something we have in mind.

VPKs volumes are split into 100MB-200MB chunks. So FAT32, etc is not an issue. (They still can be accessed as a single logical volume by the VPK tool and GCFScape, sort of like multi-part .RAR and .ZIP files.)

Users of the TF beta are reporting their boot and load times have been cut in half.

We expect to retain all existing functionality for all different ways to customize the game. All existing custom maps should work without modification.

There should be no reason to edit or rebuild the game VPK's. You can override any existing file and drop it loose into a subfolder in the addons directory, and it will take priority over the game VPK's.

More questions? Keep 'em coming.
FletcherD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #69
Viper Snake

Excellent, I was hoping this would happen.
Viper Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:21 PM   #70
DrogenViech

Now while we're at it add bittorent capabillity to steam!!

Just kidding, it's nice to see the "Verifying game cache files" bug fixed once and for all
DrogenViech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:29 PM   #71
Selbi

Quote:
"Validating files" every time should be fixed by this change.

Users of the TF beta are reporting their boot and load times have been cut in half.
My babies, have them.

Quote:
More questions? Keep 'em coming.
I have one: Some time ago any mod related to blood and violence didn't seem to work anymore (which was a shame, because I really got used to this mod). Will this engine change fix this issue?
Selbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #72
ned_ballad

when's this being shipped to the real client? This week?
ned_ballad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #73
FletcherD

Valve
It's probably at least a week or two more before we release the client. We'll have a blog post with all the finalized details.

I'd bet (but cannot confirm) that the ability to customize the blood and gore assets will be fixed. I mean if you're into that sort of thing.
FletcherD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #74
wickedplayer494

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned_ballad View Post
when's this being shipped to the real client? This week?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher Dunn via HLDS
Then we will probably roll out Day of Defeat or HL2:MP and confirm the auto conversion works as well as we expect, so we don't have a huge number of people all downloading a full 10GB at the same time.

We're planning on releasing TF last.

I suppose the timeline is around 2-4 weeks before TF is released? (Please don't hold me on that --- it depends on what bugs we find in the TF beta!)

We'll keep the users of each game well informed. We also now have the ability to release the server before the client, and we will definitely take advantage of that, probably releasing the server 1-2 days in advance of the switchover, so server operators have plenty of time to get setup. (Especially since they will have a full download, whereas clients should be able to take advantage of existing assets on disk.)
tldr: no
wickedplayer494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #75
ned_ballad

oh, okay, thanks.

That's a long wait, but I can see why that'd be.
ned_ballad is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2