Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 PM   #61
kurale10

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk View Post
What's worse is when you wind up in a nighteam server instead.
Fixed.
kurale10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #62
ΩBSOLETE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaybald View Post
I'm alright with ads, in general. As long as

A. They don't force me to watch them for 30 seconds. (Or any amount of time, really. Image ads are fine. Video ads that I have to hit a play button for are OK as long as they don't make people crash, that way it's optional.)
B. They don't interrupt me in the middle of the game (and everyone else on the server. Since adding the "pinion blocking" thing, I've legitimately seen times in matches where everyone but me is just frozen for 30 seconds. Literally. Everybody in a 24 player server except me. I go on a killing spree).
C. They don't pop up 4 times in a match.
This
the only reason I have HTML MOTD's disabled is due to pinion ads
I'd be perfectly fine with leaving it on if I wasn't forced to look at it
It's like locking you out of your computer so someone else can make money.

How is this not breaking the law?

Anyways I've been killed in a few situations when the MOTD popped up in the middle of combat.

If I had the option I would completely remove MOTD's from the game.
ΩBSOLETE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:53 PM   #63
MISSINGNO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurale10 View Post
Fixed.
At least you can tell which servers Nightteam own so you can avoid them. Pinion doesn't have this problem.
MISSINGNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #64
The Medic

People were absolutely fine with adverts in the MOTD up until they were forced to watch them.
The Medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:06 PM   #65
Simian_

We need to send a message to sever admins who use pinion. That message will only be sent by blacklisting their servers. If enough people do it, then they'll have to stop using pinion or stop running a server.
Simian_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:51 PM   #66
Queen Sars

The only real problem, in terms of gameplay anyways, is that RED gets screwed being forced to watch MOTD. I don't understand why, if we're gonna be forced to watch these ads, it isn't a bit shorter. 20 seconds is a HUGE chunk of Setup time. Besides that it's just really annoying to have to sit and wait to play.
Queen Sars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:57 PM   #67
yuki_judai

I'll sometimes go into a CTF server with Pinion, and because I'm the only one with adblocker, on smaller maps I can get 2/3 intel cases before anyone's out of spawn
yuki_judai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 AM   #68
MajinKonata

Gomixy helped with my Pinion hate, but I get kicked if I swap to soldier or pyro sometimes.

Problem in mge since I go solly, get kicked, re-join and wait for the queue again.
MajinKonata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #69
Veccy

Quote:
I'm alright with ads, in general. As long as

A. They don't force me to watch them for 30 seconds. (Or any amount of time, really. Image ads are fine. Video ads that I have to hit a play button for are OK as long as they don't make people crash, that way it's optional.)
B. They don't interrupt me in the middle of the game (and everyone else on the server. Since adding the "pinion blocking" thing, I've legitimately seen times in matches where everyone but me is just frozen for 30 seconds. Literally. Everybody in a 24 player server except me. I go on a killing spree).
C. They don't pop up 4 times in a match.
Pretty much this. I had the unfortunate time of playing on a pinion server earlier. A bloody ad popped up while i was ubered as i was trying to take out a nest. Needless to say, i RQ'd and promptly blacklisted all of their servers.
Veccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:16 AM   #70
greybirdofprey

Keeping a server up is hard and pinion is an easy and reliable way for server owners to keep the costs low.

However, it becomes unacceptable when advertentions start interfering with something which requires activity to enjoy. Basically, pinion ads tend to pop up in the middle of gameplay which is horridly frustrating.

What would be acceptable:
-No pop-ups during gameplay.
-Ads at the start of your respawn timer (provided respawn times are not modified.
-Ads at the start of a game.
-No forced watch time. People are usually deterred by this and would rather read the ads if they weren't forced to. There are non-forced ads earning more money than pinion.
greybirdofprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 AM   #71
Ninja Tuna

Thankfully, there are not many servers that use Pinion in my area, so I have yet to experience the true evil of it (being forced to watch an ad while in the heat of battle, etc.)

Therefore, I am still a little tolerant of Pinion, because monetary problems are quite important and I know some servers simply cant pay for their funds. I just wish that the system was better integrated to Team Fortress 2; because as many stated, the ads break the flow of the game, and even crucial aspects of the game such as setup time. The people who developed Pinion should work towards compensating for these aspects of the game (for example, making players invincible while they are watching the ads.) It wouldn't be perfect, but I'd say it would make things more bearable.

(Also, first post. Apologies for any grammar mistakes.)
Ninja Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:36 AM   #72
Dancing Zombie

I block all servers I encounter running pinion ads.

Like OP said, if you can't afford to run a server then don't run a server.

Making ppl watch crappy ads will not help establish a good server community.
Dancing Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #73
H3adbang0r

The average server costs are about 1$ per player slot and month. So for 24$ a month you get a 24 player server that you can keep free of bull like pinion and random crits. If you can't spend 24$ a month on a hobby you sink hundreds of hours in, you ing shouldn't turn that very hobby of yours into a living hellhole for other people but get a ing job in the first place. There's no excuse for pinion except being a greedy .
H3adbang0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #74
gomixy

Quote:
Originally Posted by H3adbang0r View Post
The average server costs are about 1$ per player slot and month. So for 24$ a month you get a 24 player server that you can keep free of bull like pinion and random crits. If you can't spend 24$ a month on a hobby you sink hundreds of hours in, you ing shouldn't turn that very hobby of yours into a living hellhole for other people but get a ing job in the first place. There's no excuse for pinion except being a greedy .
For all who dont speak rage

Servers are generally cheap to run, the one I host is roughly 50 a month, and in the beggining I provided out of pocket. I have a stable income, so it was very easy to keep it up without the use of ads. Soon I had a very good community which now supports the server.

If you cant afford to start a server, dont. If you can, the best way to keep it up is with a good community. Intrusive ads are one of the worst turn offs to players in games.

Reapply pinions logic to any game, it would be horrendous.
gomixy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 AM   #75
Daniel.PinionGG

Pinion Tech
Quote:
I do have one question. From what I've seen, Pinion does often pop up in the middle of a match.
This is actually a direct violation of our terms, when a someone reports a community doing this we either warn them or kick them out of the program. But there's still people doing it and there will always be people trying to exploit what we do, so that answer is of little solace to you.

When we last met with Valve I raised this as a major issue, they agreed and promised to include an update which prevents unscrupulous admins from bringing up the MOTD mid game. That was just before the mass crashing started which has taken all the focus. I know it's an understandably major cause of annoyance for players though so I'm going to send the team another email now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simian_ View Post
Pinion ads sometimes crash my TF2 client, so I always have to worry whenever I join a new server. That's why I hate them. I'd disable HTML MOTD, but I need it enabled to make use of backpack viewers in-game, and some servers won't let you join a team unless HTML MOTD is enabled. This makes pinion a huge annoyance.
We hear you, and this has been our top priority sinse it started. Most our dev team has been pulled off what they were working on to focus on this. Last week Valve released a patch which looks to have cut down on crashing, but it is still happening. If I could have one thing in the world right now, it would be to fix the crashing for everyone - it's hurting the players and the community owners.

Quote:
That's true. Pinion is rather glitchy, and sometimes it freezes up my game, requiring me to restart.. I even have a pretty damn good PC, so it's not my computer's fault. Maybe if you guys optimized it people would be less upset about it.
This is a constant project for us, but it's hard when we only have so much control over the MOTD space.

We are asking for help if anyone who is crashing can volunteer the time. We've setup a page, and if people can fill out as much as possible it will help us http://www.pinion.gg/crashinator.html

Daniel

Tel (US) 888 269 9828
Tel (Aus) 612 8212 5738
Tel (UK) 8081 890 418
Steam steamcommunity.com/id/danielgg
XFire captainstupendous
Daniel.PinionGG is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2