Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 03-19-2013, 02:50 AM   #76
Fingolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geotpf View Post
Geez, it's Tuxy all over again, although you have to find one of these VR thingys to get the hat.
Erm, not exactly.

At the time of writing, you cannot 'buy' the Oculus Rift yet. Yes, there is a kickstarter project, but backing that will give you a developer version. An early prototype.

For anyone who has no clue what that means: something heavy, not really working perfectly yet, designed specifically to help game developers test out their game with it, so when the real consumer version ships, their games are ready for it.

Since the developer kits cost $300, I doubt we will see many of them in-game. In fact, even if you buy one now, it will be months before you receive it.

All that is the bad part. Now comes the good part:

- The Oculus VR has a massive field of vision. As in, roughly triple the field of those 'old' VR glasses.
- It has extremely low latency. No more VR-lag, you move your head in real life, you move your vision in-game. Directly, without delay.
- The way it fits over your head means that, actually yes, you probably can use it while wearing glasses.

All that means that, if you put these on, you will immediately feel like you are completely submerged in the virtual world. Enough to trick our other senses: people wearing the Oculus for the first time and stand on a ledge in the virtual world, nearly crap their pants if you give them a little push. Falling already becomes seriously scary. Now imagine playing Slenderman with these on.

Me, personally, I can't wait to buy the consumer version. I bought my first set of 3D glasses about ten years ago, and this is something WAY beyond that. The moment this hits the stores, I'll be getting one. The fact that I can then directly play TF2 with them is only a nice bonus
Fingolas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:28 AM   #77
ned_ballad

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangLargo View Post
As the huge, obnoxious, unfitting person who made this item in the first place, I think so... Especially where the rope bunches up at the top of the right ear...

Only problem is, what is it doing on the Demo??

The plot thickenssss....

P.S. @ DurDen
Hey, no hard feelings. You're entitled to your own opinion.
so Valve never contacted you about making it Demo compatible?

Hmm...

also your workshop thumbnail's perspective makes the item look three times as large as it actually is.
ned_ballad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 05:47 AM   #78
hawkshadow741

I'm getting motion sickness already
hawkshadow741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:01 AM   #79
StormHarbinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkshadow741 View Post
wooooo its like cloverfield all over again
StormHarbinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 AM   #80
LimeSheep

Quote:
Valve should make a facebox-compatible version of L4D, where the only playable character is the Boomer. It would be overly immersive though.

Because throwing up. IN REAL TIME!
LimeSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 AM   #81
hawkshadow741

Scout Oculus Gameplay

Heavy Oculus Gameplay

Soldier Oculus Gameplay

Demoman Oculus Gameplay

Also...if you wear the Oculus Rift...while actually fighting against people...what are you seeing through them?

I mean, we already have Pyrovision...
hawkshadow741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:54 PM   #82
FangLargo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned_ballad View Post
so Valve never contacted you about making it Demo compatible?

Hmm...

also your workshop thumbnail's perspective makes the item look three times as large as it actually is.
Ya huh. They've never contacted me, or at least that I know of.

Likely they were probably just playing around with it, and decided it's not that good.

And with the perspective, I wanted to emphasise the hugeness, because that's essentially the whole point of the item: it's ridiculously huge. Of course, it's not huge at all, and I've been getting lots of comment about it being too big, breaks silhouette, etc. etc. with one having enough nerve to not believe that comparison sheet I put up. So that's funny too.

I contacted the staff at TF2N, and they said the guy who went up to Valve didn't actually see the Demo, and that it was a screenshot supplied by Valve.

So presumably, they were just really busy getting stuff out, and forgot to take some stuff out.

Last edited by FangLargo: 03-19-2013 at 08:12 PM.
FangLargo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 08:21 PM   #83
Argeon

Seems interesting.
Argeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 07:21 PM   #84
coldReactive

Quote:
Scout Oculus Gameplay

Heavy Oculus Gameplay

Soldier Oculus Gameplay

Demoman Oculus Gameplay

Also...if you wear the Oculus Rift...while actually fighting against people...what are you seeing through them?

I mean, we already have Pyrovision...
The creator of these videos took away firstperson mode and attached the thirdperson camera mode to the eye bones of the model. There is a skyrim modification that does this exact same thing and it works amazingly well.
coldReactive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:18 PM   #85
tootsaka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trilby Hat View Post
I wonder how many people have just bought one of the headsets just for the hat....
Wow this is a classy statement right here. Not like we'd go ahead and buy it for a FREAKING VR HEADSET! No! We buy it for the hat in game, obviously.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormHarbinger View Post
almost as much as i like palying video games while wearing stupid huge block of plastic strapped to my head so i can enjoy headache inducing gimmick
Seriously? Dude, take your purse off. As much as you may not like it, this is the future of gaming. The Oculus Rift looks like it's finally the beginning of virtual reality done right. This is no longer a gimmick like the Nintendo Virtualboy which some people seem to fondly compare the Rift to despite the 18 year time gap between the two.
tootsaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:27 PM   #86
NuclearKangaroo

OH BOY, ITS LIKE IM WEARING THIS HAT IN REAL LIFE TOO!
NuclearKangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #87
FangLargo

I dunno. Looks pretty gimmicky to me.

In my opinion, it's going to be something that would be common, cool, and widely supported, but nothing near indispensable. It'll probably be one of those things that people would definitely think about when developing games, but not something that everyone would use.

I dunno. I just can't imagine every gamer buying into that thing. Good ol' keyboard and mouse just does it for me.

EDIT: I just realised what I wanted to say. Basically, that the use is really niche. I mean, most of its use would be in FPS, and possibly a few innovative indie games. Apart from that, I think the head tracking would get in the way.
Old 03-24-2013, 11:43 PM   #88
NuclearKangaroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldReactive View Post
The creator of these videos took away firstperson mode and attached the thirdperson camera mode to the eye bones of the model. There is a skyrim modification that does this exact same thing and it works amazingly well.
i must admit, rocketjumping looks insanely fun with VR
NuclearKangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:51 PM   #89
winnerhead34

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4d2hunter View Post
Great, the next HOUWAR. It's 300 damn dollars.
Highly doubt it. It might be available for long and i wouldnt want it if someone gave me it for free. Really
winnerhead34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:54 PM   #90
FangLargo

It's actually not awful. I mean, sure, it's not amazing, but it's not bad. I like it. Kind of. :P

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2