Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 04-30-2013, 04:24 PM   #1
Selbi

tf_german and custom stuff on SteamPipe

So, Fletcher claimed that SteamPipe would fix the engine not recognizing custom files for violence in tf_german. Well, now I sit here and it still doesn't recognize anything.

My folder structure goes as such:

Steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf_german\custom\my_custom_stuff\materials

Am I doing something wrong here? The custom\my_custom_stuff thing worked on the normal tf folder for my HUD and everything, so I don't see what could possibly not be working here.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:27 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #2
FletcherD

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selbi View Post
So, Fletcher claimed that SteamPipe would fix the engine not recognizing custom files for violence in tf_german.
There's not any mechanism to have custom files that are only used when in low violence mode. If you have custom files, they are always used.

If I claimed that this update would provide that functionality (when did I say that?) then I misspoke.
FletcherD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Selbi

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...8&postcount=73

Well, you said 'bet' after all, so I'm probably not allowed to take this as claim. Still, it's a bit disappointing, since it was one of the things I was looking forward to.
Selbi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:43 PM   #4
Xcam901

Why are the Germans so sensitive? I mean, trying not to end up with 100000s of children playing COD and being trolls is a good goal but why can't they just enforce M ratings....
Xcam901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:46 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #5
FletcherD

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selbi View Post
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...8&postcount=73

Well, you said 'bet' after all, so I'm probably not allowed to take this as claim. Still, it's a bit disappointing, since it was one of the things I was looking forward to.
You should be able to customize the blood and gore assets. What happens if you just put them in your tf/custom/xxx/materials/... folder?
FletcherD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Selbi

Nothing changed from putting the files in tf_german. The same thing that happened before SteamPipe: Only a few files are being recognized - blood decals which connect to maps props and blood on censored weapons like the Ubersaw, the rest (particles, gibs, most other blood decals) is still censored.

So it reconizes the files, but doesn't really read them.
Old 04-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #7
Globalist Omega

Banned
Remember that germans really care about violence
remember that guy who was beaten by the Allies and the Soviets?
Globalist Omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:05 PM   #8
NeXDemise

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globalist Omega View Post
Remember that germans really care about violence
remember that guy who was beaten by the Allies and the Soviets?
It rings a bell... Wasn't the one with the toothbrush moustache? Uhm Chaplin? Yeah definitely Chaplin.
NeXDemise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #9
Xcam901

Someone had to bring up the leader of the pinkhearts on a tech support thread.
Did we expect anything different?
Xcam901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #10
Selbi

Okay, now I'm confused:

I've deleted the tf2_lv VPKs, but the game is still censored. I would've expected an error or glitched textures, but nope, both silly gibs and censored particles are still there.

So if these files aren't stored in the low violence VPK, where are they? I've scanned the other ones, but they all contain the uncensored stuff.
Old 05-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #11
KamiKatze

monitoring this thread, removing the censoring for german players with vpk seems helpfull and maybe possible...we'll see, hope someone finds a way how to

also, wow, "german" is said in a support thread, 4 posts later hitler references. Good work SPUF

ps. good thing i bought orange box way back then...so my game is uncut
KamiKatze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Davjo #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FletcherD View Post
You should be able to customize the blood and gore assets. What happens if you just put them in your tf/custom/xxx/materials/... folder?
Wait... we can customize blood and gore?
Could you give me a link or something like that so I could get an uncensored Version of TF2?

By the way, when I upgraded to SteamPipe, I happen to see blood from time to time and bleed effects actually drop blood, despite having the censored Version. Sillygibs are still there, though, and the blood doesn't come that often.
Davjo #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:37 AM   #13
Marik Bentusi

From my experience making a custom tf_german folder will enable blood splatter on rocks and walls but not actually convert funnygibs and sparks on player models.

It should be noted that the people that used to write instructions to use that method also always stressed you should switch Steam to German, which IIRC will also switch all your games to German as well.
No idea if that actually makes it work. After learning about that massive drawback (no offense to diligent translators and voice actors) I instantly went back to the method that briefly removes ClientRegistry.blob - but that's been broken for quite some time now.

I'm actually surprised someone from Valve's totally cool with finding a mod workaround. Steam support - understandably - went all "we don't make the laws, get a UK import or foreign Orange Box gift and we'll switch your keys".
Marik Bentusi is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2