Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM   #46
ccfreak2k

NOTE: Valve wants to hear from you! If you are experiencing an issue with a corrupt ckm file, open a support ticket first and ignore the rest of this post!

Another user I know had this problem, and I decided to find out what went wrong. After doing some tracking in procmon, I found that this mythical "ckm file" isn't actually written to disk as such, or at least not with that extension. Anyway, for anyone having this issue, try these steps:

1) Keep in mind the mod name. I'm not sure if it tracks by mod name or file name; use both for the next step.
2) Do a content search in the Steam\appcache directory for the mod name (my directory is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\appcache, yours may not be). The filenames are hashes, so you don't want to do a filename search. If you don't know how to do a content search and don't wish to learn, accept my pity and skip to step 4b.
3) Open the cache file in notepad or something and look for the mod name. For instance, if I subscribed to "fixed followers lite" or something, I'd look for:
Code:
inline; filename=fixed followers;
4) Upon confirming that it's the right file, delete it from your disk. "But won't I break something," I hear you ask. No, you won't, because it's a cache file. You'll just redownload it. Which is what you wanted anyway.
4b) You could also just delete everything in appcache, however that's a bit drastic and ham-fisted.

As far as I can tell, either Valve doesn't bother checking the cache containers, since the program it hands off to probably should be checking integrity anyway, or it's just failing in some weird way.

EDIT: User 'hyperkit' points out that the cache file name is Steam\appcache\36\36f103bfa8d4172201d131e229035d1f 1e1a355c_da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709 for the space core mod, which would indicate that it's a static filename, in which case you can just delete that and be on your way.

Last edited by ccfreak2k: 02-18-2012 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Additional info added
ccfreak2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 07:18 PM   #47
hyperkit

ccfreak2k, I will accept your pity with open arms. Deleting the contents of my appcache folder did the trick! To check, I un-subed, re-subed and after I let the launcher sit for a few seconds, the esp file downloaded perfectly and everything is running smooth. I've done this three times now and every time it is perfect.

Thank you!
hyperkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 AM   #48
RyuPower

i think clearing the appcach, works

the space core mod installed

thank you for the info on fixing the error
RyuPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 10:19 AM   #49
hyperkit

And for those who don't want to delete the whole appcache folder, the file in question is in appcache > httpcache > 36

You will want to delete the file that starts off with "36f103bfa8d..." as per ccfreak2k's instructions.

And if you're really paranoid, the entire file name is:

36f103bfa8d4172201d131e229035d1f1e1a355c_da39a3ee5 e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709

----------------------------------------------------------------

Edit: Valve is trying to solve the problem. Just saw this on the bottom of the mod page here:

Quote:
We're looking for users experiencing the .ckm problem to help us gather more troubleshooting data. If you have this problem and are willing to spend a little time corresponding with us, please submit a Steam Support ticket on the issue.
So, if you haven't already deleted the appcache/that one file in the appcache and are still experiencing the problem (and you want to help Valve out) open a Steam Support ticket on their support page.

Last edited by hyperkit: 02-17-2012 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Clarity and support contact
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #50
JesseBuck

All I can say is YAY. I will try this as soon as I'm home. Thank you for the information. On a side note. I'm having trouble with multiple mods (same errors). Should this help those as well; do I need to unsub and resub?
JesseBuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #51
hyperkit

From the sound of it, deleting the contents of the appcache folder (as opposed to finding the individual file for each mod) should help all the mods experiencing the ckm errors.

Edit: and I don't think you need to un-sub/re-sub. I just did that to check that the problem had fixed itself.

Last edited by hyperkit: 02-17-2012 at 01:26 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:57 PM   #52
davidjtate

Deleting the appcache folder, then unsubscribing from the mod, deleting the local files through the launcher, and resubscribing to the mod fixed it for me! Thanks, ccfreak2k!
davidjtate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 01:18 PM   This is the last staff post in this thread.   #53
KurtisC

Valve
We think we've addressed the issue where downloading mods through the Skyrim launcher was failing and it is currently live in the Beta client. Please try that out and let us know if you are still experiencing issues downloading files.

Thanks!
KurtisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #54
hyperkit

Just re-launched Steam, and it is now performing a validation of Steam cache files. When I went to re-launch Skyrim, I deleted the local files for the portal2 mod but remained subscribed and let the launcher re-download the mod. This time it downloaded the bsa and esp files perfectly and the mod runs fine.

Yay for the patch! Thank you KurtisC and the rest of Valve's employees!
Old 02-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #55
shawn·m

Yes, I no longer have trouble either --very good news!
shawn·m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #56
Fredbob392

Sorry for bringing back an old thread, but I was having an issue with CKM being unable to be extracted with the mod Wolf Watch Overlook. I tried deleting the appcache folder, but the Skyrim launcher keeps crashing when it tries to download the mod.
Fredbob392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #57
Painkilller

I've found that I cannot even delete the appcache folder. My system tells me the entire folder is corrupted and can't be deleted. What the f888?!?! Now what....
Painkilller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #58
MikoHayashi

I'm having this problem as well. The "failed to extract from ckm" is haunting me. I want to finish my game before I complete empty out my mods.
MikoHayashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 01:52 AM   #59
scubasteve88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccfreak2k View Post
NOTE: Valve wants to hear from you! If you are experiencing an issue with a corrupt ckm file, open a support ticket first and ignore the rest of this post!

Another user I know had this problem, and I decided to find out what went wrong. After doing some tracking in procmon, I found that this mythical "ckm file" isn't actually written to disk as such, or at least not with that extension. Anyway, for anyone having this issue, try these steps:

1) Keep in mind the mod name. I'm not sure if it tracks by mod name or file name; use both for the next step.
2) Do a content search in the Steam\appcache directory for the mod name (my directory is at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\appcache, yours may not be). The filenames are hashes, so you don't want to do a filename search. If you don't know how to do a content search and don't wish to learn, accept my pity and skip to step 4b.
3) Open the cache file in notepad or something and look for the mod name. For instance, if I subscribed to "fixed followers lite" or something, I'd look for:
Code:
inline; filename=fixed followers;
4) Upon confirming that it's the right file, delete it from your disk. "But won't I break something," I hear you ask. No, you won't, because it's a cache file. You'll just redownload it. Which is what you wanted anyway.
4b) You could also just delete everything in appcache, however that's a bit drastic and ham-fisted.

As far as I can tell, either Valve doesn't bother checking the cache containers, since the program it hands off to probably should be checking integrity anyway, or it's just failing in some weird way.

EDIT: User 'hyperkit' points out that the cache file name is Steam\appcache\36\36f103bfa8d4172201d131e229035d1f 1e1a355c_da39a3ee5e6b4b0d3255bfef95601890afd80709 for the space core mod, which would indicate that it's a static filename, in which case you can just delete that and be on your way.

I noticed in this post he says "I found that this mythical "ckm file" isn't actually written to disk"

This is not true, the .ckm file is here:
ckm files are downloaded to your directory locally here: Steam/userdata/#######/ugc/yourdownloadedmod.ckm

Maybe you can try backing it up or moving it somewhere, and see if steam will download an uncorrupted one.

If that doesn't fix it, I am going to guess that the .ckm file is corrupted on the server side.
scubasteve88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 02:01 PM   #60
silveraliigator

Hi everyone, I was also suffering from the missing ckm files and was unable to install mods from the workshop but i managed to find a way to get around it using nexus mod manager. I made sure my game was up to date on updates and installed the nexus mod manager. After installing I unsubscribed from all mods in the workshop and loaded up skyrim to make sure nothing was downloading. I then re-subscribed to the mods I wanted and launched the nexus mod manager as administrator and launched skyrim through there. As I held my breath, the mods actually started downloading and no error popped up. This was a fix for me and it may not work for everyone but it's somewhere to start if the previous replies haven't worked for you, it didn't for me. I also had the creation kit installed so if it doesn't work the first time, try installing that and then using the nexus mod manager. If that does help you, you can also right click the nexus mod manager and go to advanced settings and set to run as an administrator, in case you forget to run as administrator. Good luck!
silveraliigator is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > Q - S > Skyrim, The Elder Scrolls V > Steam Workshop for Skyrim