Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Old 06-05-2013, 03:00 PM   #646
B33 ENN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfrip_Sixshot View Post
There is a world of difference between spending money on games in a gaming store and spending money on digital cards ...The main focus of a gaming profile should be your games and your gaming achievements. The level of a gaming profile should be based on playing them games and completing achievements...

...Valve had the chance to finally create a gaming score/level based on our games, playtime, mod support, game recommendations and achievements. They had a great chance to do this and what do they give us? A card and level system that's pay to level up or trade to level up...
A pretty well reasoned exposition of your point of view, and it's certainly a lot clearer now in relation to the points I raised.

Quote:
The experience you get for events and years of experience is very low. The max you can get for years of experience is 450 experience for 10 years. that's less then a level 5 badge. Most of the event badges give you 100 experience or less despite them requiring a lot of time and effort to obtain. Voting each day a few times a day, buying games, completing gaming achievements and doing all of this over a period of 7 days or more...

...Someone who's been on steam 10 years should get 1000 experience and if you completed some of the event badges you should get 150 at the very least. Players should get experience for every gaming achievement they have completed or every game they got 100% achievements on...
Such as here, where my impressions are pretty much aligned as I also thought the Years of Service calculation was far too low, all things considered; and I'd have liked to have seen the previous Sale Event badges carry a lot more XP too, at least 3-500 for a maxed out one to be more comparable to the new Gamecard ones.

That would, of course, mean active older users would automatically have many of the profile upgrades, but that seems fair to me. However, from what I can tell, that would also decimate the noobs into forever playing catch-up since it's being applied retroactively; and if I had to guess, I'd say they nerfed the old hands on purpose in an effort to 'balance' the game. However, I don't think that argument would stand-up in practice as very few of the old users would be out to max their badges with every new one that comes out, so in-time, it would even back out.

Quote:
...Valve telling us that our profile level shows our investment in a steam account and how valued we are when our profile level does not take into account our games is just plain wrong...
I think it's probably safe to say that whoever wrote that wishes they hadn't put it quite that way
B33 ENN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:59 PM   #647
GirlPower23

Quote:

The experience you get for events and years of experience is very low. The max you can get for years of experience is 450 experience for 10 years. that's less then a level 5 badge. Most of the event badges give you 100 experience or less despite them requiring a lot of time and effort to obtain. Voting each day a few times a day, buying games, completing gaming achievements and doing all of this over a period of 7 days or more. A lot of people missed the achievements because they missed 1 vote or one of conditions were bugged.
You get 50 EXP Per Year.. I don't think anyone has a 10 year badge yet.
GirlPower23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:06 AM   #648
gustone

I like the trading cards system as it is. I dont care about leveling up my profile , i am at level 10 now so to have the chance to acquire foil cards (thats the only reason i crafted 2 badges to get to level 10). I have a huge library, most probably i will own most of the games that will support the trading cards system (it was a susprise i didnt own 2 of the last 4 games though), i sell the cards on marketplace and thats a good way to have a discount on the games im willing to buy from the store. I think many people think this way.
gustone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:18 AM   #649
Tito Shivan

Quote:
Originally Posted by B33 ENN View Post
I think it's probably safe to say that whoever wrote that wishes they hadn't put it quite that way
I'm afraid of quite the opposite. They knew exactly what they meant when they wrote that. They would have changed the wording already otherwise.

But in any case, those words were not meant for the 'hardened veteran' who already knows how the world turns, but for the new folk who will gladly give an arm and a leg to be rated over their friends. It's for those people the message was written for.

In any cade i'm more worried by the degradation on the community in order to get badges.
Those who dig on SCUD already know the mess that caused the 'make a post in the discussions' achievement for the badge. People were already asking what they should do to get the translator badge...

Wait for the mess of 'i made a guide' badges, for example...
Tito Shivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #650
Wolfrip_Sixshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
You get 50 EXP Per Year.. I don't think anyone has a 10 year badge yet.
I have seen a few profiles with a 10 year badge. They get 450 experience for it.

You get 100 experience for 1 year of service. After that you get less experience per year or you don't get experience for certain years. You get no experience for year 10. You have 450 experience by year 9.

Last edited by Wolfrip_Sixshot: 06-06-2013 at 12:31 AM.
Wolfrip_Sixshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:28 AM   #651
GirlPower23

Quote:
I have seen a few profiles with a 10 year badge. They get 450 experience for it.

You get 100 experience for 1 year of service then you get less and less for each year there-after.
How can someone have 10 years of service? Steam was launched in September 2003... There are beta testers but I don't think those count towards the badge. I am also at 9 years with 450experience.. So by your logic there is no extra EXP after 9 years. A guess what I am asking is that could you show me a 10 year badge?
Old 06-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #652
masni

Blocks That Matter will have cards

https://twitter.com/swingswingsub/st...91900461240320
masni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:36 AM   #653
GirlPower23

Quote:
Originally Posted by masni View Post
<3 BTM.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:42 AM   #654
Wolfrip_Sixshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlPower23 View Post
How can someone have 10 years of service? Steam was launched in September 2003... There are beta testers but I don't think those count towards the badge. I am also at 9 years with 450experience.. So by your logic there is no extra EXP after 9 years. A guess what I am asking is that could you show me a 10 year badge?
I'm looking for one. I know i have seen the big 10 years of service displayed on a few profiles.

The only thing i found that could explain it is this:

Quote:
The Steam client was first made available for download in 2002 during the beta period for Counter-Strike 1.6. At that time, its primary function was streamlining the patch process common in online computer games. Installation and use of Steam was mandatory for Counter-Strike 1.6 beta testers, but Steam remained an optional component. 80,000–300,000 gamers tested the system when it was in its beta period
So if you were in steam beta you could have a 10 year account.
Wolfrip_Sixshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #655
derrman0426

Quote:

You get 100 experience for 1 year of service. After that you get less experience per year or you don't get experience for certain years. You get no experience for year 10. You have 450 experience by year 9.
No one has 10 years yet, we have to wait until the 10th of September. THIS is the first Steam profile created and it's on 9 years.

Also, you get 50XP for each year (50x9=450).
derrman0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:09 AM   #656
AsheMan

D'oh! No Faerie Solitaire foils for me.
AsheMan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 07:16 AM   #657
LordOfTheFlies

Quote:
Originally Posted by prmaguiar View Post
Love it or hate it, you gotta hand it to Valve. Making money out of thin air. It's brilliant, really. So far I'm shamelessly taking part in the system but if they don't introduce weekly/monthly drop resets soon I'll be walking away satisfied with the badges and profile customization I got so far.
So true. And if Valve effectively gives the users the ability to do whatever they want with the cards they get without dividing the users into "first class" and "all the others", this will be near-genius.
LordOfTheFlies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #658
B33 ENN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
...Those who dig on SCUD already know the mess that caused the 'make a post in the discussions' achievement for the badge.
I must admit, I hadn't seen that as I don't check it often, mainly because I already concluded it was a mess long before that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito Shivan View Post
...People were already asking what they should do to get the translator badge...
It's hard to comprehend the motives of some people.
B33 ENN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:11 AM   #659
derrman0426

I've finished the wiki entries, please tell me what you guys think;

Badges
Cards
Customisations

I just need to get all the info on the new badges, cards, and customisations.

If anyone would like to link me to cards, full cards and profile backgrounds, that would be great. Also, it would be an extra bonus if you had the names for each badge and background
derrman0426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:22 AM   #660
cr7camiao

Community Ambassor doesn't require completion of all community tasks, I think you can leave 4 undone. Nice articles though.
cr7camiao is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion