Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Server Feedback

Old 06-10-2013, 02:12 AM   #1
aphisnano

Buffer Overflow in Net Message in 30-wave MvM

I've been looking all over for a solution to this, so I'm hoping posting this here will help. I've been running into this problem since SteamPipe debuted, and wanted to see if anyone else was getting something similar.

I run a 30-wave TF2 MvM server with SM 1.5 and a number of plugins. Starting around round 14, when changing a class or reconnecting to the server, random users and administrators will occasionally be disconnected with the following error (and the associated error dialog):

Code:
Disconnect: Buffer overflow in net message.

Host_EndGame: Buffer overflow in net message
When this happens, the individual(s) affected can reconnect, but upon selecting their class, they will immediately be disconnected from the server. This will continue until the server restarts or the map changes, nothing else helps to make this go away.

I should note that these problems appear no matter if sourcemod is loaded or not, and on any client OS.

Code:
# uname -a
Linux dedi.mydomain.com 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.35-2 x86_64 GNU/Linux
TF2 daemon runs as its own user and has the ports it needs open to the public. Verifying the server install does NOT solve this problem.
Old 06-13-2013, 12:36 PM   #2
aphisnano

Seriously, is there anything I can do, here? It's still going on. I cannot be the only person getting this.
aphisnano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:17 PM   #3
Pedropants

I experienced this for the first time today, but it was after I had used a plugin to give cash to everyone on the server.

I can only assume that the game sends a series of "add" or "subtract" cash commands all at once when you pick a class, and it's overflowing something. I tried joining spectate and using the plugin to set my cash at 0, but that doesn't seem to fix it.

Frustrating!
Pedropants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 10:45 AM   #4
UKCS-Alias

An overflow of cash is possible if the total would exceed 32k. That used to be the limit you can have at the start.

If we would say that it would start at 1k cash and each wave would give about 2k cash then in in about wave 16 you would get issues.

And what i checked is that you start with 1.5k and each wave you get about 1k in the first 5 waves, some waves being lower in value, but some waves giving massive money ammounts. At wave 10-12 you get at least 2k per wave. Money definitely sounds like the possible cause.
Quote:
Seriously, is there anything I can do, here? It's still going on. I cannot be the only person getting this.
I dont think alot of people even play custom modes as its hard to get a team of 6 for them.
UKCS-Alias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:45 AM   #5
aphisnano

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKCS-Alias View Post
An overflow of cash is possible if the total would exceed 32k. That used to be the limit you can have at the start.

I dont think alot of people even play custom modes as its hard to get a team of 6 for them.
I'll try adding a 30,000 cap via plugin, but I also experience this at other times.

As for #2, the 30-wave server is actually fairly popular. The only problem is the overflow issues.
Old 06-14-2013, 04:48 PM   #6
CarlZalph

Also ensure your client CVar 'rate' is set to the maximum.

If the threshold is ever met, and this CVar induces it, your client will auto-disconnect.
CarlZalph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
isildur4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlZalph View Post
Also ensure your client CVar 'rate' is set to the maximum.

If the threshold is ever met, and this CVar induces it, your client will auto-disconnect.
I thought rate was a network related setting
isildur4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
aphisnano

I should note that people are still getting this, despite a complete reinstallation of the dedi and srcds. I'd be happy to make a Wireshark packet capture, but I suspect that network transmissions are encrypted and would be useless to capture.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
craig1648

I would like to confirm getting this bug, including credit amounts over 32k. I on average get this message when I change class. I still don't know the solution to it, however, I do know that it is present when you have a custom wave that goes over 32k.
craig1648 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:27 AM   #10
umakemyheadhurt

Curious if you all have mp_timelimit set to 0(zero)?

I had this issue and setting mp_timelimit seemed to resolve it, even a fairly high value like 6 hours. I'm guessing the issue is related to a buffer overflow of some counter for the number of bots/entities spawned. Making the map rotate after a while seems to reset the buffer.
umakemyheadhurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 05:04 PM   #11
gentle_storm

I get this when I am playing mvm on Storm servers...and then only when I play the sniper, it has never occurred with other classes I played, but I didn't play them all...
gentle_storm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Server Feedback