Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Spy

Old 07-10-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
deletemyname123

Why the Saharan Spy Nerf Wasn't Needed

Item sets are a cool way of completely modifying the default playstyle of an existing class.

Being a spy successfully involves a four step process:

1. Getting behind enemy lines
2. Decloaking without alerting attention
3. Making a stab/sap
4. Escaping with your life

The beauty of the Saharan Spy was that it made step 1 & 3 harder and made step 2 easier. Running into the face of the enemy completely undisguised (and clearly wearing the Fez) was an alarm bell for an incoming Saharan - especially if the Spy took a single stray bullet before feigning like most spies do. If you took damage/bumped someone, your cloak would blink longer and make you easier to spot anyway. In addition to those obvious signs, a completely uncloaked and undisguised Spy (perhaps with no cloak even available for use) running behind an enemy trying to get a stab made one a sitting duck.

That's three alarming signs for the enemy to spot and kill you. Now with the DR sound thrown back in, there's four. Making the stab and getting behind enemy lines is still more difficult than normal, yet now the one advantage it gave - reduced decloak sound - is gone. In its place; new particle effects. Whoop-de-ing-doo.

Mind you, I welcome the change to the DR itself. If you are detected as a spy, you have failed and should die most of the time. The DR caused players to use it as an immunity evasive technique, rather than tricking them using illusions and map knowledge.

Also, the L'Etranger is OP as hell now. Recharging cloak with each shot plus granting a 40% increased duration, only at an expense of 20% damage? Why would you use anything else?

Thoughts?
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
c4ndle

The choice is either ambassador or l'etranger now. There are situations where one is better than the other. The other revolvers are pointless though.
c4ndle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
StarCraft

*cough*enforcer*cough*

it's good, if you're not good enough to make the ambassador viable in most situations compared to when using either the revolver or the enforcer and just pertains to different playstyles for some players; personal preference.

Also it's still an upgrade over the stock revolver too.

Last edited by StarCraft: 07-10-2013 at 10:29 PM.
StarCraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #4
c4ndle

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarCraft View Post
*cough*enforcer*cough*
If you can't aim well enough to use the ambassador, you might as well go for the extra stealth with the l'etranger which is good enough when you really need a gun.
c4ndle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
dittbub

the saharan spy really did need a nerf. i was just hoping it wasn't going to be by removing silent DR. that was by far the biggest advantage. i'd rather have like a knife delay after each backstab or something.

the whole point of it is "silent spy". if i were to nerf i'd nerf it in other ways, like slower spy. slower to regen cloak maybe. slower to attack. i dunno. its pointless now anyway. maybe l'etranger buff will make up for it.
dittbub is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Classes and Balance Discussion > Spy