Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 11-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
iGamr

RIP Spell Paint: A Memoir

(Originally posted as SPUF Daily's 11/12/13 article here. Keep in mind that this was my first crack at writing an article for the site, and I was both pressed for time and biased when it came to the subject matter.)

------------------------------

Today, we mourn the loss of our beloved hue-changing beauties, as the TF2 community is forced to return to the world of monochromatic monotony that is normal paint. Spell enthusiasts new and old have had their favorite cosmetic toy taken from them in what could be considered the worst possible way to handle the entire situation (explained further below).

My losses include my once painstakingly-perfected Goldier, as well as his Festive and Haunted variants meant for such illustrious occasions as the Christmas season (or infrequent snow map), Halloween, and Full Moons.

We magic-users have been deceived through silence, Valve’s lack of comment leading us to believe that this year’s festivities would simply fare identically to those of last year’s, and are now suffering the consequences of loving our craft. Some have declared that “those taking advantage of a glitch should expect this”, but I don’t believe this is even remotely accurate, for a myriad of reasons.
  • Valve has clearly shown that they consider TF2′s economy to be of enough importance that they went as far as hiring an actual economist. Therefor, I think it was reasonable to assume that they wouldn’t pull out any drastic changes or item wipes to an item that people were paying upwards of several, several keys for. Each Die Job (a spell that shifts between gold and gray) from the sets shown above (as well as a pair of Teufort Tooth Kickers I’d prepared for the possible event of a third Misc. slot) ran about 7-8 keys apiece, which in my case totaled out to at least 42 keys.
  • The items had already been circulating for a year, and if Valve had gone that long without interfering, why would they suddenly decide to start now? This argument is usually countered with “but they were obviously going to be a recurring item anyway”, but given that the initial expiration date the spells carried specifically mentioned a year-number, it seemed safe to assume that they would be differentiated from whatever batch of spells would be introduced or reintroduced during this year’s Scream Fortress.
  • This doesn’t even hurt those who abused the glitch to make a profit. This here would probably be what bugs me the absolute most. Those of us who went out of our way to acquire these amazing things are being shafted, with our beloved loadouts only showing their true colors a small fraction of the entire year, while those who used them not as a form of art, not as a cool effect to be displayed, but as a tool to turn a profit, have gained their desired wealth and are free to use it as they wish, no matter what state the moon is in. If you hate traders, go on and hate traders. Seriously, some of them ARE absolute scum who would scam you out of an Unusual in a heartbeat if they thought they could get away with it. But don’t go around acting like they’re the ones being punished, when exactly the opposite is true.

So, when all is said and done, this could easily be considered one of Valve’s largest mishandlings of a non-issue in the realm of TF2, which, after the mess that was the Crusader’s Crossbow nerf, makes for two rather unsightly changes brought upon us by Scream Fortress 2013. At time of writing, already-acquired Halloween spells have been rendered untradeable, making them unusable to those who hoarded them rather than applied them to items during this Halloween season (in other words, the smart people who were doing what would have landed them permanent paint spells last year), and even paints applied during the interim period between the two periods of spooky splendor, those whose true colors most deserved to be seen on a permanent basis, have been made into Full-Moon-only spectacles that will never see the light of the non-costumed day.

Godspeed, Halloween spell paints. It was fun while it lasted, and I’ll certainly miss having my arduously-crafted item sets be that much more special to those who took the time to admire your beauty. Perhaps this is why Valve leaves updates to the community nowadays…

------------------------------

...With all of that said, let the discussion commence! (Assuming there's any left to be had, anyway.)
Old 11-12-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
karl pilkingtom

Banned
You sure like showing those pictures of your loadout. I think i've seen it about 10 times when nobody asked. (i don't look at the loadout thread but that doesn't count anyway)
karl pilkingtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #3
denixen

Look, people gamble when they purchase/hoard seasonal or glitched items. No one knows what Valve will fix or re-release. For example, what about people who pay 2 buds for a Strange Kritz only to discover that a Strange Festive version will be released? These are the risks that people need to consider when they purchase such items.

Last edited by denixen: 11-12-2013 at 01:13 PM.
denixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #4
iGamr

Quote:
Originally Posted by karl pilkingtom View Post
You sure like showing those pictures of your loadout. I think i've seen it about 10 times when nobody asked. (i don't look at the loadout thread but that doesn't count anyway)
...I'm pretty sure I usually manage to keep it somewhat relevant. Granted, it's still kinda whoring out my loudout, but it's pretty much the only cool stuff I have. Plus, I sorta needed to make use of pictures in the article, so I linked them here for consistency.
iGamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
Merciful_Zodiac

Valve made 10%+5% = 15% fee from every single spell purchases on the market and hold their breath for two weeks for this announcement, and as soon as they lift the spells from the store, they brought the update because customers would have complained about 'you are still continuing to sell false items on market, I want my refund' (Very genius way to prevent this by Valve). I'm not gonna lie, I hoarded 10 spells for my items and I'm kinda happy that it became untradable for traders. Before this update, as soon as the time was expired, the price (they made) went from few refs to 15 keys again. But I would have appreciated with an early warning.

I like the parts you have mentioned iGamr, they shouldn't restrict anything of what customers like, community likes (I was gonna give government/public example but this is not the place for politics discussion).

If they are really after blocking traders way with these restrictions, they should think twice about applying exclusive purchases on Mann Co. Store. Remember you can purchase TS/Black/White paints from in-game store on fixed price, same as keys on fixed price. You would not expect Steam Market prices to go above the price provided by Mann Co. price, this is how Valve should limit overpriced trades, not by limiting the s*** out of it by making untradable/halloween restricted.

Solution: sell it in your own store; seriously if you wanna make more money, provide more service, enable more ways to distribute your own/community projects, do it old-school. If a community liked an implemented new feature/update/idea/suggestion in a game, those game companies will support and add that feature into their game (if they are reasonable ofc). Also community doesn't consist of a single whining kid (pointing the changes on crusader-crossbow), listen the majority.

Players had high interest on these spells/Halloween items because it was a unique way of approaching and modifying your own items without requiring any huge changes. Players liked decal tools (I have no idea why they have removed ID badge during update which I thought was a good idea to use it) and over 100 Halloween items. Just open your ears listen the majority and do your job.

I know most people will disagree about what I just said here. It's just a game and I enjoy playing it. There are just some minor bits that are repelling me and I hate to see the game going more into marketing resource; needed funds for incoming projects *cough* hl3 *cough* rather than the old days like what the consumer wants. And I know Valve won't even care about losing 1 customer because they are gaining 10 on the other hand (not thinking of leaving, just giving subjective stats). Anyway I talked too much rubbish thanks for reading!
Merciful_Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
Foxzet

Honestly, I wouldn't be so upset about this, if Valve hadn't REMOVED THE SPELL I HAD STORED ON THE COMMUNITY MARKET ENTIRELY.

Seriously, I put up a Spectral Spectrum for sale on the community market for a ludicrous amount of money to keep it safe, and then POOF! It's gone when I earlier today tried to get it out of there.
Foxzet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
Fatty Corpuscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxzet View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't be so upset about this, if Valve hadn't REMOVED THE SPELL I HAD STORED ON THE COMMUNITY MARKET ENTIRELY.

Seriously, I put up a Spectral Spectrum for sale on the community market for a ludicrous amount of money to keep it safe, and then POOF! It's gone when I earlier today tried to get it out of there.
I'm sure someone will come along and regurgitate that old saying about how valve owns everything and can do whatever they want with it for any reason and boo hoo for you.
Fatty Corpuscle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
RescueRanger

Quote:
but given that the initial expiration date the spells carried specifically mentioned a year-number, it seemed safe to assume that they would be differentiated from whatever batch of spells would be introduced or reintroduced during this year’s Scream Fortress.
It was never safe to assume. It was even less safe to assume they would be staying when the dates were updated. Why did nobody take that as a hint they would be going?
RescueRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
DemoMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by RescueRanger View Post
Why did nobody take that as a hint they would be going?
Why should anyone have. Seriously, if Valve had really wanted people not to turn such huge profits off of spells, they could've announced ahead of time that they were doing this, and warned people not to spend actual money on them, because they were going to be untradeable.

If anything, the fact that Valve did this serves to show only that Valve are greedy, and want to take your money, regardless how ed up of a way they can. These things went for upwards of $20 each. With Valves "tax", they earned around $6 (correct me if that math is off, not sure of the exact percentage) per spell, per sale. But did they fix it WHILE that was going on? No. Hmmmmmmm, I wonder why?
DemoMANN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
Mr.Rota

Go away Threadchronomicon, back to Modlockus pocket!
Mr.Rota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:52 PM   #11
gashadokuro

good they got rid of them.
gashadokuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 11:53 PM   #12
DemoMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Rota View Post
Go away Threadchronomicon, back to Modlockus pocket!
It's only from 6 days ago, that's not even a week. I've necro'ed posts from months before without anyone commenting about it.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:54 PM   #13
DemoMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gashadokuro View Post
good they got rid of them.
Wow, yeah, how good for YOU that they got rid of them. It's so sad that they were affecting YOU in such a big way, cuz I'd reaaaallly hate to inconvenience YOU.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 AM   #14
Thorisoka

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemoMANN View Post
Wow, yeah, how good for YOU that they got rid of them. It's so sad that they were affecting YOU in such a big way, cuz I'd reaaaallly hate to inconvenience YOU.
Of course it's not affecting him, he wasn't stupid enough to spend tons of keys or dollars on glitched items that could be fixed anytime and had a good chance to be self-fixed at the end of the next Halloween.

If you did that mistake yourself, surely Valve should give you your money back, since you lost it by paying a high price for a totally normal hat which spell wasn't officially active anymore. They should also make those spells usable and tradable, in case some people kept a lot of them to glitch them and make a lot of money.
Thorisoka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 12:16 AM   #15
DemoMANN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorisoka View Post
Of course it's not affecting him, he wasn't stupid enough to spend tons of keys or dollars on glitched items that could be fixed anytime and had good chance to be self-fixed on the next Halloween.

If you did that mistake yourself, surely Valve should give you your money back, since you lost it by paying a high price for a totally normal hat which spell wasn't officially active. They should also make those spells usable and tradable, in case some people kept a lot of them to glitch them and make a lot of money.
I didn't buy any for actual money, but I did buy a fair amount with metal(10 of each of the paint spells, to be exact) and I wanted to use them on my sets. After I saw the update log, I thought, "Oh, no big deal, most of the servers I play on have halloween enabled, I'll still see the paints."

And then the actual update happens, and, lo and behold, Valve freezes the items on whatever account they're on, and renders them unusable.

The amount of animosity I currently feel towards Valve is palpable. I don't want any refund, since I knew there was always the chance of Valve fixing the items. I just want Valve to allow us to USE the items, rather than freezing them into oblivion, hoping nobody will be mad at them.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2