Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips

Old 01-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
Zking3

Exclamation Steam "Disk idle/busy" screwing with my downloads

So after this new update which introduced a "disk idle/busy" feature. I'm finding now that my downloads are being screwed with horribly. At the moment i'm trying to download the payday 2 update which is just 13.3MB and everytime I attempt to do so, it just gets stuck on "Disk Busy" and doesn't even let my download progress.

Before this feature was introduced, all of my downloads were working fine and averaging a 1.1MB download speed (Australia Telstra) and now since this new update, it's just screwing with it. One thing i'm noticing when it's at "Disk busy" is the blue bar is moving, does that mean anything at all?

If anyone could help me out that'd be great!
Old 01-08-2014, 02:46 PM   #2
Epsilon

The behaviour of downloads hasn't changed at all. It's literally just an indicator light: it's telling you why the download isn't progressing.

"Add disk-activity indicator to downloads page, will light up if updates are slowed because Steam is waiting for the local disk to write data" - http://store.steampowered.com/news/12181/

Steam has some local disk writing to do, and it's doing it. That's why the light is on, and why the blue bar is still filling up.
Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 08:42 PM   #3
whitedragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
The behaviour of downloads hasn't changed at all. It's literally just an indicator light: it's telling you why the download isn't progressing.

"Add disk-activity indicator to downloads page, will light up if updates are slowed because Steam is waiting for the local disk to write data" - http://store.steampowered.com/news/12181/

Steam has some local disk writing to do, and it's doing it. That's why the light is on, and why the blue bar is still filling up.
So what if my disk is doing anything and still "busy"? If I have nothing but Steam openedm, would that mean that Steam is messing with my disc? common, we need a better explanation for this guys!
whitedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
whitedragon

And the funny thing, when I open a game, lets say BO2, and then minimize and return to Steam downloads for starting the same download that was prevented without having anything open, guess what? the game downloads normally...thats weird
whitedragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
Akvalier

STEAM game downloads are not just downloaded files.
STEAM has to download and unpack the files that it needs.

The disk may indeed by busy.. the STEAM client is unpacking and patching files in the background. Due to the nature of STEAMpipes, the download cannot continue until certain files are installed and verified to be installed.

As for the game downloading normally while in a game..
STEAM will not perform a verification of game resources ( or an installation of files). The game will download all the chunks it needs, but after you exit the game, STEAM will do an installation, and redownload any files it does not have.
Akvalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #6
Satoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedragon View Post
So what if my disk is doing anything and still "busy"? If I have nothing but Steam openedm, would that mean that Steam is messing with my disc? common, we need a better explanation for this guys!
Steam is patching game files and thus is waiting on disk IO.

Quote:
And the funny thing, when I open a game, lets say BO2, and then minimize and return to Steam downloads for starting the same download that was prevented without having anything open, guess what? the game downloads normally...thats weird
When you do that you obliterate the existing disk file so it ahs to re-creaet the target file from scratch
Satoru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #7
moolyzz

You know I have this similar issue, where my download just freezes and it says Disk Idle, but it stops downloading stuff, instead the download bar at the bottom of the program flashes rapidly and the download itself alternates rapidly between In Queue, Downloading and Starting... Starting what i don't know cause it already started my damn download.
moolyzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > Help and Tips