Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Half-Life DS (Windows)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2005, 05:32 PM   #11
Drek

I've notice two things about HLDS and memory:

1. The amount of memory it uses doesn't seem to depend on the number of clients connected. I think you'll notice it stays pretty consistent no matter how many clients are connected.

2. It seems to require more memory than it says it is using. I don't understand this, it might even be my imagination, but I would probably allow for as much as twice as much memory as it says it is using.

Getting rid of the GUI was a great thing if it was using 50mb of ram, with the amount of memory you have you need to have as much free for HLDS as you can possibly get.

I would say that setting your min rates to sv_minrate 1000 and sv_minupdaterate 4 is reasonable. I always say set them to 0, however, setting your update rate extremely low is a form of exploit that makes you very hard to hit. However, I don't think anyone even playing on dialup will be able to set their rates lower than 1000 and 4 and still be able to play the game, so you shouldn't be hurting anyone by setting them that low.

The rates should control both the upload and download bandwidth being used by your server.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Half-Life DS (Windows)