Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Half-Life DS (Windows)

Old 07-25-2006, 10:59 AM   #1501
Drek

Server problems, such as some other app using bandwidth that HLDS needs, can easily result in one or two clients having issues, while others don't seem to have them. I've had situations like this where two or three clients couldn't connect, or were getting dropped while others were fine. However if it is consistently only one particular client that is getting dropped, then there is a good chance that it is a client side issue, but if there is more than one client that is regularily getting dropped, then there is a good chance that it is a server side issue, unless there is some shared variable with the clients, such as a common ISP, in which case it could be a problem in the networking between the server and the client.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 12:17 PM   #1502
p00r_master

some more explains about my client drops: on LAN, have used booster 2.4 for almost 2 years, with these config booster_show_connmsg 0
booster_autofps 200
booster_minsleepms 5
booster_force_systicrate 0
booster_cpu_enabled 0
booster_cpu_spikemax 3
booster_cpu_spikelevel 75
booster_cpu_floor 50
booster_cpu_mminc 2
booster_cpu_quiettime 300
booster_cpu_mmmin 3
booster_cpu_mmmax 8
booster_lite_mode 3
booster_lite_extra_sleep_frequency 0

and the ping was really stabilised and aprox 50 better, but CPU spiked many times 100 %, 32-man-LAN server, all rates to max 101, using hlguard to block cvars and amx to admin, server 90 % of time full, at random round_end indifferent from maps drops at least 80% of players, have happened max twice in 1 hour, have experimented with booster_autofps from 60-200 but the problem is aggravated above 130. since 6 months got rid of booster and used some srcd_pingbooster (a mmtimer aproach) found on this forum and installed it with firedaemon as service as well as hlds, again drops but not so frequenlty as before , I havent indeed tried to lower client rates for beeing in LAN and having cvars locked with hlguard , I wanted to have ex_interp 0.09 and at the same time boosted server for better bullet reg. I see that you guys are using booster and I liked what it does to ping, so any help very much appreciated.

thnk

p00r
Old 07-25-2006, 07:50 PM   #1503
mindadapanda

drek i need some major help i get an upload of 2200kbps and sv_maxrate is 8000 and sv_maxupdaterate is 25 and no matter waht the server starts acting funny and the pings go to the 1k area everytime it fills up to 12 people

what is going on!

the PC is fine its
win xp sp2
2.53HZ 800FSB pen4
2GB of Ram
120GB of harddrive

HELP!!!!!!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 05:14 AM   #1504
Drek

@ p00r_master

I don't really know exactly what to tell you. First off I could use some information on OS, hardware, what mods you are running, etc. When you say cpu spikes to 100%, is it hlds.exe that is using 100% of the cpu time, or is it something else that is causing the spikes? From what you are saying I don't think that Booster is necessarily the issue here, it is whatever is causing the 100% cpu usage.

Booster 2.40 has the option to activate the media timer, so the srcd_pingbooster is completely unnecessary, and if you are having problems with cpu load, the media time is probably exactly what you do not want to be using, as the media timer greatly increases cpu load. Anyway, my first step would be to find out what is causing the 100% cpu load. First check ctrl-alt-del and see if it actually is hlds.exe that is causing the load, and if it is, try running vanilla hlds with no mods and see if you still have the problem. If the problem goes away, then add things one at a time until you find what is causing the problem.

One thing that immediately sets off my warning bells is HLGuard. It is great when it works, but development has been very spotty on it for the past few years, and I have had nothing but problems with it during this time. What version are you using?

@ mindadapanda

What you have described are classic symptons that your rates are set too high for your available bandwidth. The first thing you need to do is find out from your ISP what your upload and download bandwidth is, then post here with those numbers and the size of the server you are trying to run.
Old 07-26-2006, 08:06 AM   #1505
mindadapanda

download 5.0mbps
upload 2.2mbps

i tried the upload and when i upload to someone or some site it does go 2.2mb so no problems there
Old 07-26-2006, 09:08 AM   #1506
Drek

You still haven't told me what size server you are trying to run - as in how many slots.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:30 PM   #1507
mindadapanda

24 slot server
Old 07-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #1508
Drek

Well according to my calculations these are the rates you should be using:

sv_minrate 0
sv_maxrate 11458
sv_maxupdaterate 38

Once again, if you are still having problems with unusually high, or unstable pings, lower your sv_maxupdaterate one at a time until your pings are stable and as low as they are going to be. You shouldn't have to lower it any further than half the number I gave above. If your pings are low and stable, with a full server, try raising your sv_maxupdaterate one at a time until your pings go wonky, then lower it back to the last good number.

If this doesn't fix your problem then there is something else going on, such as something else using your connection that you are either unaware of, or haven't told me about.
Old 07-26-2006, 05:48 PM   #1509
p00r_master

PC
win xp sp2
2.8 GHz P4
1GB DDRAM
7200 rpm HDD
100Mb LAN

metamod 1.19.28p
amx 2006.2 (not any special plugins just the defaults)
hlguard 1.8
webmod 0.48

Quote:
Anyway, my first step would be to find out what is causing the 100% cpu load. First check ctrl-alt-del and see if it actually is hlds.exe that is causing the load, and if it is, try running vanilla hlds with no mods and see if you still have the problem.
hlds IS using mainly the CPU.

Quote:
One thing that immediately sets off my warning bells is HLGuard. It is great when it works, but development has been very spotty on it for the past few years, and I have had nothing but problems with it during this time. What version are you using?
No problems at all with hlguard ,tried with and without it , the drop issue remain.

Quote:
Booster 2.40 has the option to activate the media timer, so the srcd_pingbooster is completely unnecessary, and if you are having problems with cpu load, the media time is probably exactly what you do not want to be using, as the media timer greatly increases cpu load.
thank you

How important is the motherboard ?
Old 07-26-2006, 06:16 PM   #1510
Drek

I don't see how your motherboard would be a factor here. My next step would be to get rid of AMX and replace it with AMXX. AMXX has all the functionality of AMX, and set up is similar, but in my experience AMXX has far fewer problems with issues such as cpu load.
Old 07-26-2006, 07:47 PM   #1511
mindadapanda

thanks,

do you think something could be bottlenecking my server of something cuz its through a router and i always get a weird port like 60007 or something never 27015 and it always changes

plus i tested out if the upload speed was for real and i uploaded a map to my ftp server and it ran at 2.4mbps up which i think is pretty weird because i still dont know why it laggs
Old 07-26-2006, 08:47 PM   #1512
WuTang

your port is probably caused by your DLINK 604 ROUTER (they suck). I'd get a linksys.

As far as the lag, reinstall ur server and leave the rates as they are. See if it lags.
WuTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 09:02 PM   #1513
mindadapanda

no its a d-link EBR 2310

it works pretty nicely no connection drops

i had to go with this one beacuse my linksys router kept on dropping the connection, it just couldnt handle the speeds which is really weird
Old 07-26-2006, 09:48 PM   #1514
WuTang

thats odd, ive never had a problem with my linksys routers. Either way, d-link is stupid with its port forwarding method.
WuTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 10:15 PM   #1515
mindadapanda

yes it is and im beginning to hate them for it, what kind of linksys do u have

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Dedicated Server Discussions > Half-Life DS (Windows)