Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion

Old 05-25-2007, 05:47 AM   #1
Flynn

Banned
Unhappy Dropship not flying away after dropping troops

Hiya guys. I followed this nifty tutorial over at Half-Wit-2.net. I have managed to get it to drop the troops and hover. But that is the problem. It is supposed to go away behind the building afterwards. The thing is it doesn't. I cannot for the life of me figure it out. Here is the .vmf of my latest map incase anyone can see where I am going wrong:

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/hed...tyard.ZIP.html

Thanks guys

Last edited by Flynn: 05-25-2007 at 08:31 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
vecima

I'm at work right now, so i can't view the VMF, but i had this problem a long time ago. i had the exact problem where the thing will drop guys off, and just hover there. one thing you might try is adjusting the path_track(s) that are AFTER the drop.

do you have info_node_air(s) around the area?
if i get a chance i'll look at the VMF tonight and compare your setup to mine (mine's been working for over a year now so its hard to remember the exact fix).
vecima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 08:44 AM   #3
Flynn

Banned
Well that was a speedy reply Instead of moving the after drop waypoints I put them on "teleport to THIS pathtrack" but it still didn't work. So it can't be that something is obstructing the dropship from moving to them. Because it would teleport straight to them. I have checked everything countless times. Tried the info_node_air idea. Still nothing. Thanks for being so supportive, really appreciated
Flynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 09:14 AM   #4
vecima

hmm... sorry i couldn't help with those tips...
later on tonight i'll try downloading and checking your map if it still isn't working. (if i get a chance -- it might wind up being over the weekend).
Old 05-25-2007, 08:50 PM   #5
vecima

ok, i downloaded it...

as for the dropship... there are not nearly enough points along the path. it needs a somewhat smooth flightpath. i'd say triple the number, and smooth out the turns a lot. strait lines are ok to have few of them, but at the turns, smooth out the transition. also, add the info_node_air entity in the air around the area the dropship will by flying in. if these don't work, i'll take a look at it again.

general mapping tips:
apply the no-draw texture to every face the player will never see (building tops, backs of buildings, etc)
place info_node(s) for your AIs to use for navigation. they need them (just as flying AIs need info_node_air(s)).

good job so far, i love the variety in the buildings. keep it up, and let me know if you're still having trouble.
Old 05-26-2007, 04:01 AM   #6
Flynn

Banned
Talking

I removed the "kill" value from the last waypoint (awaywp1) and it made the dropship return behind the building.

But it didn't drop troops.

So I re-instated the "kill" output from the last waypoint again, and it allowed the drophsip to drop troops but then it didn't retreat.

I have trippled the amount of waypoints leading back from the dropzone (the ones leading towards it worked fine) and added air-nodes.

Still nothing.

I thought I had it for a second, heh.

http://www.bestsharing.com/files/dPn...tyard.ZIP.html
Old 05-28-2007, 09:26 AM   #7
Flynn

Banned
Lightbulb

Not to worry, Vencima, it turns out that the dropship was not making contact with the waypoint "wp4" thereby not receiving the input from wp4 to go to awaywp1. I cannot believe all the work and effort I have put into adding path_tracks, deleting path_tracks, moving entities, changing geometry, etc and all I needed to do was raise a single path_corner a few units off the ground For some reason, the troops don't fire on me after getting out of the ship. I didn't mention it before because I wanted to focus on the matter at hand. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for being so ready and willing to help, it is much appreciated

Last edited by Flynn: 05-28-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-28-2007, 01:37 PM   #8
vecima

yeah, sorry i didn't get a chance to download the second version, but i'm glad to hear that you solved everything.

as for the soldiers not firing, are you using any AI entities that might be dictating a state to them? The only times i've used dropships dropping soldiers was during scripted events, and the soldiers were never meant to fire at the player, so i'm not sure what your problem might be.

ps. are there info_node entities on the ground? you need one at least every 512 units where you want the ai to go. more nodes generally gives the AI the ability to make more natural movements.
Old 05-28-2007, 03:21 PM   #9
Flynn

Banned
In was testing a flag setting which made them do it. All works fine now

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Tool Discussions > Source SDK General Discussion