Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box

Old 10-15-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
jfuze

I want to play without getting sick.

Can you PLEASE give us the option to change our field of view? I know PC users can do it with a special command, but is there anything I can do on the 360 version to help?

I've been playing playing every FPS game for the past 5-6 years(PC and Xbox console) and this is the only one that has made me feel nauseous. From research, alot of people(including myself) got sick from the PC version a few years ago but instead of doing anything about it I just never played it after the first level.

I know i'm missing out on a great experience and it bums me out.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:50 PM   #2
shaines

jfuze, for what it's worth, I suffer the same problem. PC and 360. I chew on ginger root ten minutes before and while I'm playing which helps a lot. You can grab this stuff at any grocery store. Give it a shot.
shaines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 PM   #3
RooksGambit

A lot of people are getting motion sickness with this. check out this thread on the official xbox forum: http://forums.xbox.com/16138060/ShowPost.aspx

Apparently it has something to do with the angle of view or something. It's changeable on the PC version but predictably not on the 360. My g/f gets sick too. It's a shame.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
7ty714

Hehe, yep, it's the fov that causes the problem.
7ty714 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:57 AM   #5
Pc_Madness

Patches take a long for the 360, so you will have to wait a while if they're going to add it in.
Pc_Madness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #6
jfuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pc_Madness View Post
Patches take a long for the 360, so you will have to wait a while if they're going to add it in.
Yep, but I doubt they will ever even do anything. Probably going to have to just sell my game. :-\
Old 10-16-2007, 11:29 AM   #7
RooksGambit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfuze View Post
Yep, but I doubt they will ever even do anything. Probably going to have to just sell my game. :-\
If you're a developer then having people feel literally sick from playing is as far from desirable as can be imagined...I wouldn't count a patch out but at the same time, I wouldn't expect it anytime soon.

Of course you never know...There could be a CNN news snippet about it or something (it is soooo unusal) and if that happens, Valve will have to go into emergency damage control and patch it asap.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #8
cdes

Another sick customer

I agree this sucks. I cant play this game without feeling nauseaus, clammy and sweaty. It gets bad when I expect to move and dont, or when I dont expect to move and do. I was playing the part in Route Canal where you start sliding down the hill towards all of the cieling hanging aliens and I almost lost my lunch.

Also in Route Canal in the spot where you blow up the bridge that the combine soldiers are shooting you on I had a similar issue - I didnt know where to go. I didnt see that you could move the barrels in the tunnel under the bridge so I started trying to stack boxes to get up to the sidewalk where the soldiers seemed to be coming from. I was surprised to find that when I stacked the boxes high enough to jump onto the sidewalk I ran into an invisible wall. Before figuring it out I tried several times to make the jump and got sick, because I was expecting my character/viewpoint to move up to the sidewalk and it didnt.

I think there is a general user interface problem with this game. Expecting to pick up and move and object and having the game beep at you to let you know that action cannot be done is not a good user interface. It is not immersive and it yanks you right out of the experience. I am quite surprised because I have heard so much about how seamless the storytelling is in this game. I realize that Im still in a 3-4 year old game. Does anyone know if it gets better in later episodes?

Like the originator Im hoping there is a patch coming soon - or I will be returning this game to the store.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:12 PM   #9
jfuze

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdes View Post
I agree this sucks. I cant play this game without feeling nauseaus, clammy and sweaty. It gets bad when I expect to move and dont, or when I dont expect to move and do. I was playing the part in Route Canal where you start sliding down the hill towards all of the cieling hanging aliens and I almost lost my lunch.

Also in Route Canal in the spot where you blow up the bridge that the combine soldiers are shooting you on I had a similar issue - I didnt know where to go. I didnt see that you could move the barrels in the tunnel under the bridge so I started trying to stack boxes to get up to the sidewalk where the soldiers seemed to be coming from. I was surprised to find that when I stacked the boxes high enough to jump onto the sidewalk I ran into an invisible wall. Before figuring it out I tried several times to make the jump and got sick, because I was expecting my character/viewpoint to move up to the sidewalk and it didnt.

I think there is a general user interface problem with this game. Expecting to pick up and move and object and having the game beep at you to let you know that action cannot be done is not a good user interface. It is not immersive and it yanks you right out of the experience. I am quite surprised because I have heard so much about how seamless the storytelling is in this game. I realize that Im still in a 3-4 year old game. Does anyone know if it gets better in later episodes?

Like the originator Im hoping there is a patch coming soon - or I will be returning this game to the store.
Thanks for the post.

I made a thread like this on the Xbox.com forums and had endless replies. Kind of amazing it can be such a problem...

Wonder if the developers are listening or care?

The game came out in 04 and had the same problems... how could it not be changed 3 years later?

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box