Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 02-03-2009, 05:25 PM   #46
patgiguere

You brought down Friends network at 7:20 for maintenance. This is a seriously disappointing time to do that (peak hours ), my friends and I get together once a week to play, we were literally seconds away from starting our game. I hope it isn't down for long.
Old 02-03-2009, 05:30 PM   #47
Freyar

Did today's downtime affect installs/downloads too? I can't get UT3 to pull in.
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #48
Scared

It is always fun when there is downtime. Hilarity ensures with people running around (e-running) like chickens with their heads cut off Also, peak hour for you pat might not be peak hour for VALVe. If you look at the stats page you can see that the overall player numbers is in a decline.
Scared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:36 PM   Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread.   #49
MikeBlaszczak

Valve
Quote:
Originally Posted by patgiguere View Post
You brought down Friends network at 7:20 for maintenance. This is a seriously disappointing time to do that (peak hours ),
Going by the time of your post, I assume by "7:20" you mean "1920 EST". That's 1620 PST, which you can see is the lowest 25% usage range of the day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patgiguere
I hope it isn't down for long.
We'll be down for a bit as we have some database work planned. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, but maintenance work is necessary to continue adding features and keep the servers running smoothly.
MikeBlaszczak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #50
Pinguin

This might sound like a stupid question - but cant you separate
the "necessary downtime for maintenance" from the chat & the availability to play the games
i have legally purchased via steam in some way?

Every time you take it down i can not play the games i bought and use the additional chat option...
I know you are very sorry about the inconvenience - but feck - thats a pain... to me as a normal user!!

I am a user now since 2004 and i am getting very upset about it...
"The steam servers are currently to busy to handle your request" ...its 2009...
http://i199.photobucket.com/albums/a...tos/Steam1.jpg
If your DRM wants me to drop you as a frequent user & costumer - your on the right path...

Your servers are to busy to handle a request to play a game that i already have on my PC and i paid for?
If your servers are to busy - then there needs to be a way to play the game without it...

I understand that you as a company need to protect your products from being pirated,
but you also need to understand that a legal costumers wants to play his games when he got the time and the mood for it and this... i mean... is just not fun and entertaining for me anymore...
Pinguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:15 PM   #51
SD24

Doesn't bother me that much. Thanks for keeping us informed.
SD24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #52
Freyar

I will admit, it is MUCH better to be able to know when these support downtimes are coming.
Freyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:23 PM   #53
iGaming | Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguin View Post
I understand that you as a company need to protect your products from being pirated,
but you also need to understand that a legal costumers wants to play his games when he got the time and the mood for it and this... i mean... is just not fun and entertaining for me anymore...
*wants to reply but knows this isn't the place for a flame*
iGaming | Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:25 PM   #54
SD24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyar View Post
I will admit, it is MUCH better to be able to know when these support downtimes are coming.
Yeah. What they should do is have Steam show pop-up messages for scheduled down-times. Because not all Steam users visit the forums and it would be quite helpful.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #55
cryptodan

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD24 View Post
Yeah. What they should do is have Steam show pop-up messages for scheduled down-times. Because not all Steam users visit the forums and it would be quite helpful.
Ive suggested this numerous times.
cryptodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #56
SD24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptodan View Post
Ive suggested this numerous times.
Must be a technical issue otherwise its something that should've been implemented from the get go..its far too useful to get ignored or side-tracked.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #57
cryptodan

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD24 View Post
Must be a technical issue otherwise its something that should've been implemented from the get go..its far too useful to get ignored or side-tracked.
Exactly, I know that other messenger services like AIM, Yahoo, MSN, and X-Fire send out mass messages to their customers to let them know when they are performing updates or anything else that may impact their customer base.
cryptodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:47 PM   #58
SD24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptodan View Post
Exactly, I know that other messenger services like AIM, Yahoo, MSN, and X-Fire send out mass messages to their customers to let them know when they are performing updates or anything else that may impact their customer base.
Yeah, its basically a javascript pop-up mass-executed. Steam could also go on the X-fire route and send a mass message but it won't work if you're not signed in to the Friends service.

Wonder whats keeping it from getting implemented...perhaps its too strenuous? But then again, as you mentioned, all those networks do it and the IM ones have a much larger install base than Steam.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:44 AM   #59
*VeLeRoN*

Volunteer Moderator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinguin View Post
--
Fabster007 hehe

L4D is the only game which does this, no? All other games work just fine.
*VeLeRoN* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 02:05 PM   #60
Tibo

So good job with l4d sells valve, 1.8 M retail, I would guess overall it's slightly above 2M with steam sells.
How about making 2M customers unable to play their game two times in a month for several hours?!
This can't continue like this! Get some better servers or I don't know what to make it not go down so often!
What a great day to announce DLC! With a server downtime that wasn't even planed!
Tibo is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Discussions > General Steam Discussion