Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2009, 07:32 PM   #16
Grievous117
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by st00pid_newb View Post
I sold my 360 a while ago, I know what TF2 on the 360 is like, and the PC version is far better, plus you can use your 360 controller.

So, could one of you guys explain why you're still playing the 360 version?
We have the ability to choose. Plus many console gamers computers are used for thier family and other non-gaming related purposes.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:58 AM   #17
Magi Kavin
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Reputation: 149
Posts: 818
Why would you play the PC version using a 360 controller? That's like giving yourself a handicap.

Anyway, I play both the PC version and 360 version because the PC version is, currently, this gigantic storm of people whining about the current changes and why the Scout updates aren't coming out. Otherwise, the only thing I'm missing from the 360 version besides a greater variety of methods with which to kill my enemies, are the new maps.

And, honestly, Arena is hardly a loss.

I like Payload, so I'm a bit disappointed there, but hey.

The simplicity of the 360 version is just as much of a draw as the complexity is for the PC version.
Magi Kavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #18
TakingNames2489
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
I been trying to play with the XBOX 360 Controller on the PC. Does anyone know how to configure the analog sticks. I can't look around the map for anything.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:46 PM   #19
Littlelink
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakingNames2489 View Post
I been trying to play with the XBOX 360 Controller on the PC. Does anyone know how to configure the analog sticks. I can't look around the map for anything.
Just go into the console and type "exec 360controller".

It autobinds all the keys to their 360 defaults, and fixes the analog stick error thing.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:14 PM   #20
PositiveJosh
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
I played TF2 on the 360 starting in January 2008, and got a gaming-class PC in August. Since then, I've flat-out canceled my Xbox Live subscription, and most of the problems people have with PC gaming don't apply to me. My HDTV = my PC monitor. I can sit on the couch if I want to. And, having been a console player from way back, here's how I play Team Fortress 2 these days...

LEFT HAND: 360 controller
Analog stick for movement
UP on control pad taunts
LEFT, DOWN, and RIGHT are set to voice coms
LB jumps
LT reloads
BACK changes class
START changes team

RIGHT HAND: Mouse
Aims
Left click primary
Right click secondary
Scroll wheel switches weapon
Scroll click calls Medic
Left mouse is push to talk
Right mouse displays scores

THINGS I HAVE TO MOVE TO DO:
360 controller:
X puts down my spray
Hold Y as a Pyro to rotate at max speed while flaming

Keyboard stuff:
Keypad is mapped to more voice coms if I need 'em
Q + 1, 2, 3, or 4 builds/destroys engie stuff
Z + numbers changed my loadout before they broke "equip"
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:57 PM   #21
Lord_Joey
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by st00pid_newb View Post
I sold my 360 a while ago, I know what TF2 on the 360 is like, and the PC version is far better, plus you can use your 360 controller.

So, could one of you guys explain why you're still playing the 360 version?
i can guarantee you that the only reason people move from the 360 to the PC is the updates. No 360 player goes to the PC version solely because it has a mouse and keyboard. the updates make people jarateed off they dont have the PC version.

and like others said, we dont have the money to get a comp that can run it.
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 AM   #22
bearssuck
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
I have both and prefer the 360 version because (in no particular order):

1. It runs better than on my old PC.

2. With the party system, I can have a much more social experience, rather than have to deal with no-mic'ers, mic spammers, or no communication.

3. I prefer vanilla games, rather than having to deal with some amateur's idea of what would make the game more interesting (e.g. party hats, modded clothing, 32 players, insta-spawn, and all the other random crap that infests PC servers.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #23
Grievous117
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearssuck View Post
I have both and prefer the 360 version because (in no particular order):

1. It runs better than on my old PC.

2. With the party system, I can have a much more social experience, rather than have to deal with no-mic'ers, mic spammers, or no communication.

3. I prefer vanilla games, rather than having to deal with some amateur's idea of what would make the game more interesting (e.g. party hats, modded clothing, 32 players, insta-spawn, and all the other random crap that infests PC servers.)
I agree with those points!
  Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 11:33 AM   #24
thehammer034
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Reputation: 15
Posts: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by strafefire View Post
The reason they took away cross connectivity play was that M$ got involved in the process and Valve needed to get the OB out before Christmas, so it was sacrificed.

That is why the game will have it again when Valve releases the update.
Cross connectivity will never happen due to the fact that 360 players will get beaten down badly,Unless its like 6 xbox360 users vs 1 pc user.I dont know where you even got this from.
Also I would never use my pc to play on crappy xbox360 peer to peer server when I can play on a real dedicated server with real bandwidth

Last edited by thehammer034: 02-21-2009 at 11:36 AM.
thehammer034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:07 AM   #25
Magi Kavin
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Reputation: 149
Posts: 818
I have to agree about the cross connectivity. If it wasn't in before, it doesn't deserve to be in now. We have our own community. It's particularly unfair that we, as a console, should have to fight opponents with twitch, super-accurate mouse aiming when we can barely turn fast enough without sacrificing our ability to aim.

So, no, ain't gonna happen. Thankfully.
Magi Kavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:38 AM   #26
Helelos
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_Joey View Post
i can guarantee you that the only reason people move from the 360 to the PC is the updates. No 360 player goes to the PC version solely because it has a mouse and keyboard. the updates make people jarateed off they dont have the PC version.

and like others said, we dont have the money to get a comp that can run it.
Bingo, that would be the sole reason why I own the PC version. I can run it, but not very well

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehammer034 View Post
Cross connectivity will never happen due to the fact that 360 players will get beaten down badly,Unless its like 6 xbox360 users vs 1 pc user.I dont know where you even got this from.
Also I would never use my pc to play on crappy xbox360 peer to peer server when I can play on a real dedicated server with real bandwidth
Elite PC gamers would have the advantage, but it's not like I would want to play with them in the first place
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 12:47 PM   #27
napalmxxx2
 
Guest
Posts: n/a
Quote:
Originally Posted by st00pid_newb View Post
I sold my 360 a while ago, I know what TF2 on the 360 is like, and the PC version is far better, plus you can use your 360 controller.

So, could one of you guys explain why you're still playing the 360 version?
that's a matter of opinion, you may say the pc is better but some people prefer consoles, as for me on that, Im the kind of person who couldnt care less as long as the game in question is good.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #28
Javier1203
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Reputation: 21
Posts: 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by napalmxxx2 View Post
that's a matter of opinion, you may say the pc is better but some people prefer consoles, as for me on that, Im the kind of person who couldnt care less as long as the game in question is good.
Hey, nice job smartass, reviving a two-year-old thread.
ing Besserwisser.
Javier1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 10:34 PM   #29
SenorTaco5
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 0
Posts: 37
I tried that, It's not as good as you'd think. You can either use a computer and sit at an awkward angle with a controller, or hook up your computer to a TV, which tends to lower your framerate pretty severely.
On top of that, I can't seem to get the controller sensitivity just right, which sounds a little nit-picky, but it's a pretty big deal trying to re-learn how fast you can turn and such.
And finally, people on the 360 version, people are generally way less competitive and a little nicer since the community is smaller.

EDIT: Also, on my Xbox I actually get consistent, smooth framerate since I don't own an expensive gaming computer.

Last edited by SenorTaco5: 01-25-2011 at 10:36 PM.
SenorTaco5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 02:42 AM   #30
purceywise
 
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 22
Posts: 36
Well, I finally booted up TF2 on the PC and used my 360 Controller for Windows. I logged into t a match and opened terminal and made use of the "exec 360controller" command and BAM. Full xbox360 control scheme.

I joined something familiar (2fort) and loaded up. The level took a damn long time to load. It was an odd game, familiar but completely different.

I tried Demo man and died repeatedly, then resorted to Pyro and came in second place on my team.

My PC was £400 2 years ago with a built in graphics card. This is no power house and it ran fine with no amendments to the settings, a little screen tearing, but I will fix that later.

I recommend the jump to PC to see what's different, but I don't think I will leave the 360 version in the dust any time soon.
purceywise is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How I got the 360 controller to work (including switching the analog sticks) Switchbreak Devil May Cry series 14 08-03-2011 01:35 PM
wired 360 controller issues Nitro_hedgehog Help and Tips 11 08-06-2010 08:02 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2014, All Rights Reserved.