Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source

Old 06-24-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
Amadeus III

My FPS configs.

Hello all. I have been doing some working with my configs to get the ultimate boost for my FPS in CS source and finally I'm able to release these configs for you guys as well.

How to install?

First, browse to your steam folder. ->

Steam/Steamapps/maili/Counter-strike source/cstrike/cfg/

And delete everything (Of course, don't do this if you don't want to delete your own configs. Make backups for that if you only want to test these.)

Then open run.exe and write regedit.exe there, here we'll delete your CS source registery entries. Browse to. ->

HKEY_CURRENT_USER/Software/Valve/Source/cstrike/settings

You can delete the whole folder if you want to, if it cannot delete some files, it's ok, just move on.

Then we'll hop right into the configs itself, download my config file from here. -> http://koti.mbnet.fi/amadeus3/Configs/amadin.cfg

and move them to your cfg folder. I'm pretty sure you want autoexec.cfg as well, get it here http://koti.mbnet.fi/amadeus3/Configs/autoexec.cfg , of course you can make that yourself if you want to. JUST MAKE SURE TO EXEC THESE CONFIGS BEFORE YOU ENTER TO THE GAME ITSELF!

Next, we'll add some things to your launch options. Open your steam / right click the CS source icon and select properties, then launch options.

My line is something like this. ->

-console -heapsize 524288 -dxlevel 81 -nojoy -noipx -w 1280 -h 1024 - noforcemparms -noforcemaccel -noforcemspd refresh -75

Console means console of course (duh), heapsize means 50% of your memory, I got 1024mb so 524288 would be my number for that.

* 512MB System Memory: -heapsize 262144
* 1GB System Memory: -heapsize 524288
* 2GB System Memory: -heapsize 1048576

dxlevel is your direct X level, 81 is the best for Nvidia cards. If, and only IF the configs doesn't work for you, change this to 80, 90 or 95 (Doesn't work = Means your game lags like hell.)

Every no command takes off the mouse smoothing, you can delete those commands if you want. -w and -h is your resolution of course, change this to your favourite. Finally your monitor refresh rate, mine is only 75 so I keep that.

Then we're all settled down. Open your CSS and test these configs with stress test. I get over 200 FPS with:

2800+ (2,3mhz)
1024mb (333DDR)
Geforce 6800 LE

http://koti.mbnet.fi/amadeus3/images/fps.jpg

(This score came with my 1280 resolution, so don't mind it. 800x600 I get over 200 easilly.)

No, it's not a 64-processor. Sorry about the finnish language in the configs, I'll change that soon.

And no, the game doesn't look crappy at all, in the matter of fact, it looks rather good. Only thing that doesn't look good is the water, I noticed it boosts FPS very, VERY much when you make it look like oil. xD Hehe, but we are after the FPS, not the underwater fishies.

If you have any questions about these configs, just post here or mail me at AmadeusIII@gmail.com

I have been receiving some positive comments about these configs, hopefully they'll work for you guys as well, good luck and have fun with good FPS.

Edit: English configs can be download from here, everything else is the same.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/amadeus3/Configs/fps_configs.rar

Edit2: Download these if you don't want any binds or my settings there, these are only for the FPS, does not affect to your game.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/amadeus3/Configs/update.rar

Last edited by Amadeus III: 06-27-2006 at 02:55 AM.

Old 06-24-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
[KCC] Manno

Banned
Very, very nice. Will test this right now, and update this later.

Update 1: It doesnt seem to work for me. What happens is: When I try to connect to any server, It just freezes on the loading bar and thats it.

Last edited by [KCC] Manno: 06-24-2006 at 09:45 AM.
[KCC] Manno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 09:49 AM   #3
Amadeus III

Ok clearly you have the Dxlevel bug. Try changing it to 80 from the configs, AND from the launch options. Remember that the dxlevel is in two different places in these configs. I know the bug, I fought like 4 hours like an year ago with that problem.

Edit: And did you try the stress test like I told you to do? Don't try to connect to a game server first, it causes your system lagging if there's a bug in your dxlevel.
Old 06-24-2006, 10:02 AM   #4
[KCC] Manno

Banned
While Im still testing this, how do I remove that annoying noise when im bursting? I want that sound to be normal. Also, what do those commands do (The -nojoi and that other one, noipx)..
Old 06-24-2006, 10:04 AM   #5
Amadeus III

They take off the mouse smoothing. Like I said, you can delete them if you want, I just keep them off...annoying really.

And the double sound problem? Hmm...that usually fixes up when you either boot steam or exec the configs again. Don't worry, it usually happens when you change configs.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:50 AM   #6
Amadeus III

Updated, saw couple of bugs that are now fixed. Black boxes for example. :P
Old 06-26-2006, 08:09 AM   #7
Dala-Jay*

You sir, are a god

I got 150 with my;

AMD 2.2Ghz
1gb PC2700
Radeon 9200
Dala-Jay* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 08:31 AM   #8
[KCC] Manno

Banned
Quote:
Originally posted by Dala-Jay*
You sir, are a god

I got 150 with my;

AMD 2.2Ghz
1gb PC2700
Radeon 9200
What did you usually have? What about in fire fights? What did you have before, and what is it now?
Old 06-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
Kali548

Looks like it should do the trick.

A few suggestions:

1) you have a few redundant commands, some commented out, others arent

2) some of your netcode values are a little off, ex. im not even sure if rate 204800 will register...

3) maybe its just the foreign language throwing me off, but its awfully hard to follow it, it could use some organizing.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:57 AM   #10
Hildenstern

The network values are odd. Rate should be somewhere around 20000-30000 and cl_rate doesn't even do anything so having that in the comments is a bit confusing (i think it's gone since a few updates ago...i'd have to check and can't run CS here though so could be wrong)

Other than that it's pretty good, maybe a bit specific (it overrides lots of settings that have not much to do with fps)

Last edited by Hildenstern: 06-26-2006 at 09:00 AM.
Hildenstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:06 AM   #11
Liamas

Well stress test i get 244 fps on 1024x768. But stress test as we all know means jack. In game seems to have improved tho. Feels smoother, but i have only tested it on a 3v3. Hit reg was really good for me using these configs aswellm better than it normally is on the same server i play. I will do some more tests and tweak it to how i like it and let you know.
Liamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:21 AM   #12
Amadeus III

Yes, I apogolize about the language, that will be fixed soon when I get more time.

And what comes to the network settings, it's all decided by your guys, those are my settings and everything runs smoothly, yes I know it seems rather strange.

Hildenstern, cl_rate isn't in the configs, you are probably looking at the NET / FPS thingy.

I worry about the FPS, not the network tweaks, isn't that what we're after?
Old 06-26-2006, 09:25 AM   #13
Hildenstern

Quote:
Originally posted by Amadeus III
Hildenstern, cl_rate isn't in the configs, you are probably looking at the NET / FPS thingy.
That's what i said

Having it in the comments just confuses things a bit.
Hildenstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:28 AM   #14
[KCC] Manno

Banned
I can say to everyone that this config is better then caseys config. While in 1024x760, I used to get 40 FPS and down usually which I didnt like. It lagged alittle, but now, I can get around 50-60 (Never below 50) or even higher. But under 800x600 which is good aswell, I can get up to 80 or 90. Its a good config, best one Ive seen in my life for CS: S. I expect alot more tweaks like this man, this is a true FPS fix for some.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:37 AM   #15
Amadeus III

Quote:
Originally posted by [KCC] Manno
I can say to everyone that this config is better then caseys config. While in 1024x760, I used to get 40 FPS and down usually which I didnt like. It lagged alittle, but now, I can get around 50-60 (Never below 50) or even higher. But under 800x600 which is good aswell, I can get up to 80 or 90. Its a good config, best one Ive seen in my life for CS: S. I expect <font color=orange>a lot</font> more tweaks like this man, this is a true FPS fix for some.
Took me some time to build those configs, I'm glad you got them working.

The english version can be downloaded from here:

http://koti.mbnet.fi/amadeus3/Configs/fps_configs.rar

Only the language is different, didn't change anything else.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Counter-Strike: Source