Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 01:41 AM   #1
XxArmandxX
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 11
Posts: 365
So...I just got back from the Xbox 360 version

WHY GOD WHY?! When did you stop caring about us?

It's sad and slow, the teams are too small, the controls are clumsy, no one talks and I desperately wish my computer wasn't a piece of trash so I never had to go anywhere near that horrible horrible place ever again...

I feel violated.

On a slightly more serious note: why have the console ports of this game been so greatly neglected?
XxArmandxX is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:46 AM   #2
Kingshadow
 
Join Date: May 2009
Reputation: 11
Posts: 113
From what I remember, it's very difficult to update stuff like this on a console. TF2 started tiny enough to be released on a disc, but at this point it's more than 10GB. Plus (I might be off on this, don't kill me, please) I seem to recall Microsoft wanting to make VALVe pay for the updating, and take a cut for themselves. VALVe wasn't willing to do that, so no updates.
Kingshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:47 AM   #3
DonkeyFlavor
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Reputation: 69
Posts: 260
Well, first off the current model of tf2 (FTP, Microtransations) wouldn't work on console. That's likely not the reason it hasn't been updated though. It could be it's harder to maintain servers for consoles as there really aren't people running them there. Valve would have to run their own. I've heard it's rather expensive to push patches to console games too, so that could be an issue.

Or, maybe, just maybe, valve would rather update on their own platform.
DonkeyFlavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:49 AM   #4
Shockoach
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 88
Posts: 334
It's because Microsoft is a greedy Capitalist machine that wants an extreme amount of money from our beloved martyrs at Valve Software.
Shockoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #5
RollinRuler
 
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Reputation: 179
Posts: 721
In short, Microsoft and Sony.

Valve wanted to support all three version of the game, but Microsoft and Sony don't like when companies give out free content (like hats, maps, and larger updates) on their consoles. So they started demanding that Valve charge for stuff.

Valve said no, and consequently was forced to shut down support for the console versions of TF2.
RollinRuler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:55 AM   #6
XxArmandxX
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 11
Posts: 365
Oh...

I mean, I've heard most of this stuff and I can agree on some level but, for me personally, I wouldn't even want all of the more superfluous updates, but some gameplay updates would be nice. Maybe everything up until the Mannconomy update minus the cosmetic items as well as some balancing and the crafting system.

I guess I wouldn't mind if I didn't have the PC version (which has become so bloated and zany that its hardly recognizable to its past self) to compare it to. I also think it would be easier if they separated the Orange Box into stand-alone titles so they could be dealt with individually.

If nothing else, it would be nice if they just acknowledged the fact that the console players exist. :/

As for the whole money thing, if they incorporated the Mann Co. Store into the Marketplace (ala Gotham City Impostors) there would definitely be enough of a market to recoup a decent amount of the expenses incurred by the updates and that would keep generating revenue as it has for the PC version. It's just frustrating I guess.

Last edited by XxArmandxX: 08-08-2012 at 01:58 AM.
XxArmandxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:57 AM   #7
Ze healing man
 
 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Reputation: 37
Posts: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by XxArmandxX View Post
Oh...

I mean, I've heard most of this stuff and I can agree on some level but, for me personally, I wouldn't even want all of the more superfluous updates, but some gameplay updates would be nice. Maybe everything up until the Mannconomy update minus the cosmetic items as well as some balancing and the crafting system.

I guess I wouldn't mind if I didn't have the PC version (which has become so bloated and zany that its hardly recognizable to its past self) to compare it to. I also think it would be easier if they separated the Orange Box into stand-alone titles so they could be dealt with individually.

If nothing else, it would be nice if they just acknowledged the fact that the console players exist. :/

Not as long Microcock is a damn bastard.

Damn, even a one map update...yeah I am pretty sure Microcock would force Valve that a 1(!) Map DLC would NOT be free.
Ze healing man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 01:58 AM   #8
Batabii
 
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Reputation: 931
Posts: 9,998
Welcome...to the WORLD OF TOMORROW!
Batabii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:07 AM   #9
Shockoach
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 88
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ze healing man View Post
Not as long Microcock is a damn bastard.

Damn, even a one map update...yeah I am pretty sure Microcock would force Valve that a 1(!) Map DLC would NOT be free.
TF2 hat pack #1 2400 Microsoft points!
Shockoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:39 AM   #10
LaN.
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Reputation: 624
Posts: 2,986
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shockoach View Post
It's because Microsoft is a greedy Capitalist machine that wants an extreme amount of money from our beloved martyrs at Valve Software.
Oh god I walked into a liberal arts college.
LaN. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
stellvia
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Reputation: 297
Posts: 960
What they said earlier -- Microsoft wouldn't allow them to release free content update packs. That was on top of Valve having a very hard time fitting the class updates within the memory constraints of the 360. I heard they were having to do a lot of texture swapping and shenanigans like that to try to get it to work.

Once it was clear the console version was never going to be updated, they pushed forward with the item store and microtransactions on the PC.
stellvia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:53 AM   #12
000000000000000
 
Banned
Join Date: Jun 2012
Reputation: 60
Posts: 412
*Sits down and grabs some popcorn*
000000000000000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:56 AM   #13
Erfly
 
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Reputation: 178
Posts: 1,691
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollinRuler View Post
In short, Microsoft and Sony.

Valve wanted to support all three version of the game, but Microsoft and Sony don't like when companies give out free content (like hats, maps, and larger updates) on their consoles. So they started demanding that Valve charge for stuff.

Valve said no, and consequently was forced to shut down support for the console versions of TF2.
Sony didn't do anything, Valve just didn't want to do the port and left it to EA to port over. EA being EA didn't do to keep the orange box up to date.
Erfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #14
Not_Matlock
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Reputation: 771
Posts: 4,958
Even if Valve was able to release free updates on consoles, the way patches are done on consoles makes it a million times more difficult. Each patch has to go through certification (for what, I don't ing know since they don't seem to care about any bugs they find) which takes months. This usually makes most patches enormous when they do get released because Microsoft and Sony charge the devs a load of money for each patch/update they release.
Not_Matlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 08:15 AM   #15
XxArmandxX
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Reputation: 11
Posts: 365
So, it's never gonna happen, huh?
XxArmandxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Xbox 360 & Playstation 3 Game Discussions > The Orange Box


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2015, All Rights Reserved.