Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Community Content / Contribution Project > Other

Old 06-17-2012, 11:55 PM   #16
whysofrail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddonzone View Post
Damnit. I'm not using 3ds max -.-
To be honest. That doesn't matter..Unless your using Autodesk 3ds Max, Blender, Maya, Sketech Up to create your models you should look into these.

What are you using?
whysofrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 01:29 AM   #17
neurotech

Success!

http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...D7409592DBA14/

Thanks whysofrail!
neurotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
whysofrail

Thumbs up

Woot! Even better..

Your example proves that two different materials are being used. Nice work.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:42 PM   #19
Firebrλnd

So I followed your tutorial in a similar way, but did different things as my first 'test' model is a melee weapon, which replaced a simple spy knife without animations.

I imported the Big Earner model and removed the reference model, leaving behind weapon_bone (the only bone used for the Big Earner), and I modeled my new knife. When I finished, I linked the model to the bone, and I attempted to export it (as .obj, I've tried exporting as .smd as well, but it seems .obj is required for running weps through itemtest, since it wouldn't compile the files into .mdl at all when exporting as .smd). Ran it through itemtest quickly, and started up the itemtest map. My knife was (presumably) the correct size, but it's texture was messed up (I had already begun working on the texture, using an AO bake and some base colors) and it was stuck at what I can only presume to be origin in relation to the Spy, rotated 90 degrees (was pointing upwards).

My question is, should I import the Spy's reference model and link my knife to that weapon_bone (which i doubt should matter), or am I doing something inexplicably and missing something? If it's the latter, what should I do?

I realize this is for hats, and a simple hat at that, but the essence is similar. Even if you can't help me, maybe someone with more experience in modeling weapons can help me with my issue.
Firebrλnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #20
KRosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrλnd View Post
So I followed your tutorial in a similar way, but did different things as my first 'test' model is a melee weapon, which replaced a simple spy knife without animations.

I imported the Big Earner model and removed the reference model, leaving behind weapon_bone (the only bone used for the Big Earner), and I modeled my new knife. When I finished, I linked the model to the bone, and I attempted to export it (as .obj, I've tried exporting as .smd as well, but it seems .obj is required for running weps through itemtest, since it wouldn't compile the files into .mdl at all when exporting as .smd). Ran it through itemtest quickly, and started up the itemtest map. My knife was (presumably) the correct size, but it's texture was messed up (I had already begun working on the texture, using an AO bake and some base colors) and it was stuck at what I can only presume to be origin in relation to the Spy, rotated 90 degrees (was pointing upwards).

My question is, should I import the Spy's reference model and link my knife to that weapon_bone (which i doubt should matter), or am I doing something inexplicably and missing something? If it's the latter, what should I do?

I realize this is for hats, and a simple hat at that, but the essence is similar. Even if you can't help me, maybe someone with more experience in modeling weapons can help me with my issue.
a hat is not a knife. (except for that heavy halloween one, i suppose....)

in my experience, you CANNOT use itemtest to make weapons. someone has told me they had success before doing weapons and itemtest, so who knows - i DO know that you need to apply the skin modifier and rig the bone to the knife, linking it is not enough i believe.
KRosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 09:45 AM   #21
Firebrλnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRosen View Post
a hat is not a knife.
news at 11

i realize, but i figured it was a very similar process, especially since there was only the 1 bone, and it had no extra animations aside from what comes with the big earner (initial flourish, which is different than stock knife's flourish because the Big Earner is a switchblade, not a butterfly knife; attack swing; raised hand in preparation for backstab; backstab).

Quote:
in my experience, you CANNOT use itemtest to make weapons. someone has told me they had success before doing weapons and itemtest, so who knows - i DO know that you need to apply the skin modifier and rig the bone to the knife, linking it is not enough i believe.
Not sure how many people in the workshop use the regular, pre-itemtest method to get weapons into the game, but I do remember the "How to make a gun" blog post, where the tf2 team asked Jalcober (one of the contributors for the Scorch Shot) to resubmit the Scorch Shot using the itemtest, so I'm presuming it works.

And alright, I'll try again with the skin modifier. I tried that before on the same model but with no changes, which led me here at some point. I think my problem was that I never used the skin modifier, or tried to animate anything (which isn't what this is for of course).
Firebrλnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #22
KRosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrλnd View Post
news at 11

i realize, but i figured it was a very similar process, especially since there was only the 1 bone, and it had no extra animations aside from what comes with the big earner (initial flourish, which is different than stock knife's flourish because the Big Earner is a switchblade, not a butterfly knife; attack swing; raised hand in preparation for backstab; backstab).

Not sure how many people in the workshop use the regular, pre-itemtest method to get weapons into the game, but I do remember the "How to make a gun" blog post, where the tf2 team asked Jalcober (one of the contributors for the Scorch Shot) to resubmit the Scorch Shot using the itemtest, so I'm presuming it works.

And alright, I'll try again with the skin modifier. I tried that before on the same model but with no changes, which led me here at some point. I think my problem was that I never used the skin modifier, or tried to animate anything (which isn't what this is for of course).
close - you need to read the whole thing (btw, thanks for pointing that blog post out, i havent been keeping up with tf2 and it really helps for explaining what valve is looking for)

Quote:
We also asked that he resubmit the item using the Itemtest Wizard file structure to make it easier for us to review the submission.
what this means is they really only want it so they can look at the weapon in game without any silly interference with with other players items. do you knwo how many spycicles were submitted last year for christmas? (i counted 3) imagine if they were all called spycicle, and they used the same folder - the pour sucker testing them would have to go in and manually delete/move the files, turning a 2 minute job into a 12 minute job. what if they wanted to compare them back to back? goes from unloading/loading to closing, deleting, downloading, copying, relaunching, loading.

what a pain.

again, they really just want you to use the file structure.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:24 AM   #23
FrogerSrb

It this plugin compatible with 3DS MAX 2013?
FrogerSrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #24
whysofrail

Check out http://dev.wallworm.com/topic/2/wall...del_tools.html

I haven't tested it for 2013 and for making weapons/items for Tf2. However I have used it to create static meshes that were imported into Source SDK's hammer editor. I know you can export .SMD with this plugin but I have never tested in general or with 3ds max 2013. Hope this helps good luck.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:03 PM   #25
alex_ftw

There's no 3D Studio Max SMD Import Plug-ins for 3D Studio Max 2010.
Am I screwed , right?
alex_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #26
KRosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_ftw View Post
There's no 3D Studio Max SMD Import Plug-ins for 3D Studio Max 2010.
Am I screwed , right?
wunderboys works with 2010.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #27
alex_ftw

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRosen View Post
wunderboys works with 2010.
Who's that?
alex_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:24 AM   #28
KRosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex_ftw View Post
Who's that?
http://www.wunderboy.org/apps/smdimport.php
http://www.wunderboy.org/3dapps.php#max_smd

its really the best one imho

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2 > Community Content / Contribution Project > Other