Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Old 10-21-2014, 01:15 PM   #196
Vagrant

Just got this game for free on GMG for voting the Games of the Year award.

Unfortunately, I still have Windows XP and XCOM doesn't support it... except it supports DX9...

I tried this guide to the letter and it seems to work just fine.

This just shows how lazy Firaxis was in this one.

Thank you for compiling the zernel.dll and coming up with this fix.
Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 11:05 PM   #197
nashadoe

Unhappy Long War mod -- working or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psithen View Post
I can confirm it works with Long War

though only after some re-verifying, re-editing the .exe(s) and then re-applying the mod...

though that may have been because i had previously installed mods and Long War tells you to refresh to vanilla before installing it.

seems to work fine now though.

Can you verify exactly what order you applied the mods and did the install & zernel edit in? (Or does anyone else know who has tried & gotten an error on launching EW which they've gotten past?)

I was able to get both the original game and EW working fine, but when I install the Long War mod, the launcher will then only launch the original game. Trying to launch the EW button instead results in a crash to an error box, after a long pause.

"XCOM Enemy Within has encountered a problem and needs to close..."

- then, if you click more info -

"Error signature
AppName: xcomew.exe AppVer: 1.0.0.9040 ModName: xcomew.exe
ModVer: 1.0.0.9040 Offset: 009af70d"

This appears to be true whether I use the Zernel.dll method before, after, or both. The versions of The Long War I am trying with are 13 and 14g. Do you know what version you were able to get to work...? Also, are you on XP SP3, and the most recent .Net 4.0, as well?

Last edited by nashadoe: 11-30-2014 at 11:12 PM.
nashadoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #198
Vercinger

Thank you so much for this!
Vercinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 11:06 PM   #199
Silveressa

Wow, I admit I'm surprised anyone still runs XP to try this trick these days, still awesome it still works, I'd considered trying to put this in on an older machine that lacks the specs to run Win 7 reliably, glad to see It's still possible.
Silveressa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 01:16 AM   #200
Akvalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveressa View Post
Wow, I admit I'm surprised anyone still runs XP to try this trick these days, still awesome it still works, I'd considered trying to put this in on an older machine that lacks the specs to run Win 7 reliably, glad to see It's still possible.
XP is still a solid OS, even if Microsft no longer updated it.
That being said, best machine for retro PC games, is a retro OS.
Akvalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 03:59 AM   #201
Vercinger

Indeed. I have no plans on ever giving up XP. It works. No point in migrating all my old games to a new OS and dealing with the numerous problems that would cause.

I of course dual boot, with Mint, for 64-bit stuff and anything that doesn't run on XP but has a Linux version or works with WINE.

Sadly, I'm probably going to have to triple-boot at some point in the future, adding W7 to the mix, as there are some games that just refuse to get a Linux version.
Old 08-13-2016, 02:07 PM   #202
Silveressa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vercinger View Post
Sadly, I'm probably going to have to triple-boot at some point in the future, adding W7 to the mix, as there are some games that just refuse to get a Linux version.
Win 7 64 bit will run a surprising number of retro games actually so it's not quite as useless as you might think; Win 10 however is still shoddy when it comes to gaming, and lots of games have horrible performance in Win 10 that run beautifully in Win 7 64.
Old 08-13-2016, 06:10 PM   #203
Akvalier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silveressa View Post
Win 7 64 bit will run a surprising number of retro games actually so it's not quite as useless as you might think; Win 10 however is still shoddy when it comes to gaming, and lots of games have horrible performance in Win 10 that run beautifully in Win 7 64.
I didnt think he said Win7 was useless.
He said he was going to add Win7 to his booting list.
WinXP, Win7, and whatever else he is booting.

Sounds like he -likes- win7, not think it useless.
Akvalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:05 PM   #204
Silveressa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akvalier View Post
Sounds like he -likes- win7, not think it useless.
I meant for running retro games, back when win 7 first released lots of Xp games refused to run it (like Mass Effect) and older retro stuff like Baldurs Gate or Mech Commander 2 had frequent CTD's.

I was just mentioning that these days it will run far more old school games than previously, so depending on what he/she plans to run on the system they may no longer need to use XP at all anymore.
Old 08-14-2016, 06:46 AM   #205
Vercinger

There are literally hundreds of older games I semi-regularly revisit. If even 10% of them have problems on 7, that's a good enough reason to keep XP around.

And I'm just so glad I didn't have 7 during the free period for 10. I'd have raged so hard if I'd gotten up to cook something and come back to find 10 installed without my permission. If I get around to installing 7 before MS drops support for it, I'll have to make sure to disable automatic Windows Updates in case M$ tries to pull something like that again.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > XCOM: Enemy Unknown