Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #16
Thurbo
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 2082
Posts: 5,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartisen View Post
The ping setting doesn't work so it's already as bad as it gets.
Is this more of the "if I set my ping to 200 max the game should totally put me on a 200 ping server" evidence?
Thurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:20 AM   #17
Sud
 
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Reputation: 2291
Posts: 3,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurbo View Post
If small team sizes are a problem to you somehow you can always leave the server and search for a new match.
the person in question had to re-queue multiple times because of it, it's not something that tends to affect me in NA though.
Sud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:04 PM   #18
Thurbo
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Reputation: 2082
Posts: 5,791
I'm German and very much content with smaller team sizes. That doesn't happen too often though and there's no way to force it.

Best chance at it is late at night or unpopular maps with little amounts of players.
Thurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:05 PM   #19
Hartisen
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 615
Posts: 4,280
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurbo View Post
Is this more of the "if I set my ping to 200 max the game should totally put me on a 200 ping server" evidence?
Not sure what you are trying to say.
Hartisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 06:21 PM   #20
TuxedoRex
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 558
Posts: 1,960
At least one person here has complained that the ping setting doesn't force them into servers with high enough ping.

Thurbo is referencing that, while asking you to expand on what makes you say the ping setting doesn't work, I believe.
TuxedoRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:18 PM   #21
Hartisen
 
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Reputation: 615
Posts: 4,280
The ping setting doesn't work because I set it to the maximum which is 349 and the matchmaker only places me on servers with low ping.

So queue times are still . I'm trying to find a match right now. It has already been 10 minutes. If it tried to place me on servers with high ping it wouldn't take nearly as much time to find a match.
Hartisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 08:37 PM   #22
Xazo-Tak
 
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Reputation: 343
Posts: 1,088
Is the reason people complain about map votes that the people who are unsatisfied with the map choice will likely leave?
Or is it because people will always vote for map repeats?
Xazo-Tak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 09:23 PM   #23
TuxedoRex
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Reputation: 558
Posts: 1,960
Does anyone at all other than me complain about map votes?

Well, the reason I do is the first one you mentioned, sort of. After map vote, a large number of players won't continue to the next map. This means every time a game ends, a partially filled server is created. This means demand for refills is extremely high almost constantly. And so:

+You often can complete a full game with like 10 or fewer players on the server before refills are found.

+You're much much more likely to be matched into a game already in progress. What once was an occasional inconvenience is now above 50% likely to occur on any search.

+If multiple players on one team quit, you're at the mercy of the other team's volunteers to balance things out, rather than timely refills.
TuxedoRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:19 AM   #24
Dalmationer
 
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Reputation: 417
Posts: 693
i still miss community servers :<
Dalmationer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:19 PM   #25
Zilkenian
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Reputation: 138
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalmationer View Post
i still miss community servers :<
We still have community servers. What we don't have anymore is quickplay.
Zilkenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:24 PM   #26
BooleanBacon
 
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Reputation: 632
Posts: 975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilkenian View Post
We still have community servers. What we don't have anymore is quickplay.
They definitely are still out there, but the quantity and player quality arguably isn't what it was pre-quickplay. That's what people generally mean when they lament the death of community servers
BooleanBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #27
Zilkenian
 
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Reputation: 138
Posts: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by BooleanBacon View Post
They definitely are still out there, but the quantity and player quality arguably isn't what it was pre-quickplay. That's what people generally mean when they lament the death of community servers
Mmmm...I remember seeing the community servers quite full before the matchmaking. I mean, I used to go in community server more than in Valve servers back when quickplay was still alive.
Then again, I was "born" into TF2 almost two years before quickplay died.
Zilkenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:16 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Site Content Copyright Valve Corporation 1998-2015, All Rights Reserved.