Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Old 07-18-2010, 09:40 AM   #1
Capt. CornHole

Co-op on one machine?

I was wondering apart from making the game controller enabled, is there any way to pull of co-op on a single machine?

Thanks, in advanced.
Old 07-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Bindal

Banned
It's free - what'S the problem with playing it on LAN or Online with your friends?
Not to mention, it won't work. Unlike an FPS, this game needs the mouse more like a RTS.
Bindal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:44 AM   #3
Capt. CornHole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindal View Post
It's free - what'S the problem with playing it on LAN or Online with your friends?
Not to mention, it won't work. Unlike an FPS, this game needs the mouse more like a RTS.
Im not saying there is a problem with online co-op, I think it would be awesome if members of my family could play too with out installing and downloading the game and steam on another pc.
Capt. CornHole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #4
borsdy

This would rule.
borsdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
facepalm

Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. CornHole View Post
Im not saying there is a problem with online co-op, I think it would be awesome if members of my family could play too with out installing and downloading the game and steam on another pc.
Isn't this why you buy a console? PC gaming isn't so split-crap-screen friendly you know?

Also its not like its going to be hard to go ahead and install FREE steam and another FREE program on another computer. Take you what like an hour maybe if the other program is large?
facepalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #6
Shrimpsess

In order for there to be co-op it would have to be split screen.

I don't see it happening.
Shrimpsess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:19 AM   #7
borsdy

It is all in the same window, guys. Splitscreen is being used as a general term.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #8
Shrimpsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsdy View Post
It is all in the same window, guys. Splitscreen is being used as a general term.
There is no way that that would work with this game. The camera and aiming reticle are both reliant on each other. Who would control the camera with two aiming reticles on the same screen.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
borsdy

They would simply lock the screen for the majority of people in the window. This is mearly a suggestion that many games have been able to accomplish, quit trying to fight this idea.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:51 AM   #10
Shrimpsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsdy View Post
They would simply lock the screen for the majority of people in the window.
That's unacceptable. Then the camera would have to wait for other people before moving. That would just not work in this game, players need space.

"This is mearly a suggestion that many games have been able to accomplish, quit trying to fight this idea. "

Its a bad idea, so yes I would fight it. Its a waste of time, the developers should focus on adding more maps/campaigns and 4-8 player functionality.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #11
Sparra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimpsess View Post
That's unacceptable. Then the camera would have to wait for other people before moving. That would just not work in this game, players need space.

"This is mearly a suggestion that many games have been able to accomplish, quit trying to fight this idea. "

Its a bad idea, so yes I would fight it. Its a waste of time, the developers should focus on adding more maps/campaigns and 4-8 player functionality.
It's a good idea... And once the game's out I doubt the devs will do anything other then fix bugs, glitches, and exploits.

You want new maps? Make them!
You want more players in a game? Write the code for it!
You want split-screen co-op? Make the mod!

This is both a game to be played, and an experiment with the modding community to see how what they can take from this game and make it their own... Or at least that's how I see it.

We were given the Source SDK for a reason.
Sparra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #12
Jimyz

Arrow

Why don't you all go watch some videos or play the Orginal Mod.

This game is not like Shadowgrounds or Alien Breed: Impact.

Everyone has seperate cameras for their Character, so that requires 4 monitors.

You would be too restricted in this game if you were forced into the same sized screen that doesn't zoom out.

That is the Default setup. Now if they want to add a "Mutation" that forces everyone into the same viewing area, I welcome that. It would make the Insane Difficulty that more challenging(as a chooseable option).
Jimyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #13
Shrimpsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimyz View Post
You would be too restricted in this game if you were forced into the same sized screen that doesn't zoom out.
This.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #14
RC-1290

You might be able to mod it in, since they are going to release the code. Although the part of the engine that deals with camera's might not be exposed.
RC-1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 03:56 PM   #15
shackanaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by facepalm View Post
Isn't this why you buy a console? PC gaming isn't so split-crap-screen friendly you know?

Also its not like its going to be hard to go ahead and install FREE steam and another FREE program on another computer. Take you what like an hour maybe if the other program is large?
I think what you people fail to grasp is that some of us PC gamers have real life friends we socialize with outside of the gaming world, who we still might want to play games with when they are visiting us.

Some people have monitors or TVs hooked up to their computers that are large enough to accommodate splitscreen. Convincing somebody to sign up for a Steam account and download a game takes a lot more time than just having them over at your house and playing the game with them. It is also very fun to have somebody playing a game with you in the same room.
shackanaw is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm