Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm

Click here to go to the first staff post in this thread.  
Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 AM   #1
EliteTemptation

Post Internet Petition: In-game VPK downloads

*****FOR PEOPLE WHO ALREADY READ MY POST, READ POST NUMBER 22***** please view my latest post on page 2 it is post # 22, right above a post from yapper, which includes FULL details of how this thing could work, and some other suggestions, i really thought it out, please take a look @ it, if you haven't read this first post yet, then what are you waiting for!! read it!! and then read my post on page 2!!***** -- 7/30/2010 10:04 PM

also if by chance, this does happen, i think the same feature should also be added into left 4 dead 1 and 2, and any future upcoming source games that will use vpk

as of now
you can download
.mp3
lua
.wav
.wmv
.bsp
.bzk.
.bsp2
.mdl
and ETC (these are the files up here)

but you can't download .vpk (which is basically all of those files (the files up there) into one thingy called a .vpk

We have to go to sites to download them, ok, that is understandable for people who want a map immediately and don't want to view servers to get them, or to get the latest version, also people have to go to the sites to places them on their servers, understandable.

But, why can we not download them in-game? The only thing i can see is that they are large files, and that can be the only reason i see, but this game supports a-lot of players, well above 8, but that is with edited configs and settings, so the default is 4, what most people will play, so they won't be too hard on server bandwidth as they are only four players

So, why not enable in-game downloads, as if now you can connect to almost any crappy modded css server or whatever game, and it will download so many horrible soundwaves, maps, models that you don't even want and they well exceed the size of vpk files. (60+ slot css servers contain over 500 mb of downloads, mostly those zombie ones)

So, any other reasons, why we can't just join a server, download a .vpk and have it dropped into our addons folder? (and if you guys care about file size that much, add a filter that doesn't download files over a certain amount of megabytes , your choice, just have it in the server browser, or as a console command like cl_allowdownloadlimit 100 , which would only allow files of 100 megabytes or less to be downloaded, other ones will tell you that they exceed the limit, and easy filter for people who care about files sizes so much)

Sign here if you agree that a feature to download .vpk files should be implemented into the game, but we should still be able to use downloadfilter to only accept .vpks and ignore everything else, if we want.

Thanks for reading

Last edited by EliteTemptation: 07-31-2010 at 07:45 AM. Reason: bacon cheeseburger
Old 07-30-2010, 07:21 AM   #2
Swatzsource

I think that the feature to download .vpk files would do great in the future, so we don't have to manually download the .vpk ourselves.

/Signed
Old 07-30-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
TWEWM

/Signed
Old 07-30-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
EliteTemptation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
These petitions and /signing do nothing, people.

Valve has automatic downloads for all of their games except the ones that use VPK.

You don't think they've considered an automatic download system for VPK's?

You think you're bringing it to their attention? Opening their eyes?

Making "petitions" to "force" them to do things?

They obviously either thought it wasn't a good idea for automatic downloads, or are working on a system.

But yeah, you're petitions mean nothing, and you are all sheep.
we are not forcing anybody to do anything, we are just demanding something, and how are we sheep, prove it to me that we are sheep, show me a sheep typing with basic intelligence, and show me it now! (now that is force, do you feel it?!)

and if enough people show that they do care about a feature being added, valve re-considers what they may have considered before
EliteTemptation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:34 AM   #5
TheBogStandardU

Banned
SIGNED
TheBogStandardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
Bindal

Banned
Yes, I want to download several hundred MB from a server, who's already busy with one to three other people (in case of L4D, even up to seven), lock a slot for that time and staring at a "downloading really_huge_addon_campaign.vpk" for up to one hour!

No, I don't want to click on the appearing link, click on download on the page now open in my default browser, wait for maybe 5 to 10 minutes and THEN be able to play the addon.

Wait a second... something's wrong there, don't ya agree?
Bindal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:06 AM   #7
EliteTemptation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bindal View Post
Yes, I want to download several hundred MB from a server, who's already busy with one to three other people (in case of L4D, even up to seven), lock a slot for that time and staring at a "downloading really_huge_addon_campaign.vpk" for up to one hour!

No, I don't want to click on the appearing link, click on download on the page now open in my default browser, wait for maybe 5 to 10 minutes and THEN be able to play the addon.

Wait a second... something's wrong there, don't ya agree?
what are you talking about? there are 60+ slot css servers that contain over 800 mb downloads

we only have 4 players

and a campaign with ten levels won't even exceed 500 mb

and they can add a filter to not download files over a certain amount of Megabytes

Last edited by EliteTemptation: 07-30-2010 at 10:52 PM.
Old 07-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Bindal

Banned
800MB? The biggest files in CSS are the maps and even the bigger and heavily detailed ones NEVER go past the 100MB.
Now, if we look at AS, those maps are quiet detailed, but not that much, so let's say a map takes 50MB in average in a addon, having the normal size of a AS-Campaign (which is, taken from the UT-mod-campaigns) 6 to 7 maps, so let's say 6 with one being a bit over average. We get like around 280MB already JUST MAPS! However, people, who actually want to create something new and creative add models, materials and even sounds, which also take a lot of space - again 300MB, depending on the amount (this case, lots of models, a few sounds). So, in the end, we got almost 600MB for a single campaign.

I don't know about you, but for me, it's hundreds of times faster just to alt+tab the game, download it via browser and then return to the game. Minimal work, lot's of safed time.
Bindal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
d10sfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy View Post
Or you could just go to a website to download your maps.
What is so bad about server downloads? Whos the real sheep?

Personally, Id like to see server downloads of maps in Alien Swarm, and if possible in L4D 1&2. Make mods much more popular online, and be alot easier to use.
d10sfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Lccorp2

There's been official word that they're working on it.

And people like the above posters are why only 3% of all L4D games played are custom maps.

Because it's worked so well, hasn't it?

Edit: It doesn't even have to be from the server. An official Valve server/platform/website off the steam store, in game or something that lets modders upload their content and players to install it with a single click would be an acceptable compromise.

Last edited by Lccorp2: 07-30-2010 at 09:16 AM.
Lccorp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #11
cani

I think the way the engine works, vpk's have to be preloaded and cached so they can be used properly with the filesystem mechanics. If you were to download them on the fly you would have to completely restart the engine.

The second problem with this is, with vpk's you can override anything in the main vpk's. This means I could replace a bunch of core files, screw with them, then put it in a vpk and upload it to my server. So if you downloaded that from my server I could overwrite and make your game unplayable. Forcing people to manually download vpk's makes it so they caused the problem, in which case they can go back and delete the vpk. Not everyone knows how to extract/delete or even where the addons folder is. So these people would join a server with a messed up vpk, and then would make there game unplayable, thus causing them to not play anymore.
Old 07-30-2010, 05:25 PM   #12
EliteTemptation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cani View Post
I think the way the engine works, vpk's have to be preloaded and cached so they can be used properly with the filesystem mechanics. If you were to download them on the fly you would have to completely restart the engine.

The second problem with this is, with vpk's you can override anything in the main vpk's. This means I could replace a bunch of core files, screw with them, then put it in a vpk and upload it to my server. So if you downloaded that from my server I could overwrite and make your game unplayable. Forcing people to manually download vpk's makes it so they caused the problem, in which case they can go back and delete the vpk. Not everyone knows how to extract/delete or even where the addons folder is. So these people would join a server with a messed up vpk, and then would make there game unplayable, thus causing them to not play anymore.
no, when you download a .vpk, all you do is drag and drop into your addons folder and it works, same would apply while downloading from a server, also you can place a map while your game is open, so that really proves that theory wrong, and custom maps will not become popular unless some of these actions are taken, look @ l4d 1 - 2, who the hell plays custom maps on those games? nearly NOBODY, meanwhile on tf2/css i have season,mill,strike,contra, and for tf2, i have freight, waste and etc.

Now i've been downloading maps and attemtpting to work with mappers on a steam group, and we've gotten a couple of players to play custom levels, but it's not as good as just telling a large amount of people, connect to these servers and get the maps, most people i tell to download a map, here is the exact response i get from them

"maybe later"
"nah i dont know how to do the addons" (even if i fully explain it to them, then they say "nah bro i dont feel like it"

then you ask the same people to hop onto a css scrim, and they have to download say, inferno pro, they just join up and it's downloaded, they don't argue or complain

honestly, it needs to be added, also there needs to be a way for players to earn experience on custom maps, without waiting months on end for valve to make a map official, and most of the time, the maps aren't even that good, they are just good in the eyes of valve, not the players overall
Old 07-30-2010, 05:35 PM   #13
soldussnaku

/signed

I fully agree with this idea. Like another person said, they are looking to improve the system, let's hope they streamline the process
soldussnaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:49 PM   #14
XSFOX

All the people saying just download from the sites, just look at how many people are playing on custom maps in L4D, compared to TF2 or CS:S.

It obviously much better now isn't it? /Sarcasm.

I hardly do this signing stuff on forums, but this VPK system of not being able to download from servers is killing custom stuff. So /Signed.
XSFOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:00 PM   #15
analogfantasies

I don't know the likelihood of this happening, but I actually would like it if Valve hosted a vpk repository. So that the game would download it from there to your system if you needed it, rather than the host computer. It seems like it'd be a better way of keeping players up to date with an addon as well, so you didn't have a ton of people with slightly different versions of the same addon.
analogfantasies is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > # - C > Alien Swarm