Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2

Old 04-24-2011, 05:31 PM   #1
Nacimota

Post Portal 2 FAQ - Please read before posting [no spoilers]

Preamble
I'm not typically one who creates these kinds of threads but I've noticed that we don't have one and there have been a lot of threads over the last week or so essentially asking the same questions; so I'm going to do my best to assemble as many of the common questions and answers in this post as possible. If you would like to contribute, please do (that is, if there's something missing that you feel should be included, or if I have written something which you feel is incorrect, I encourage you to post below).

I am experiencing X issue with the game and/or I have a feature request
There is a dedicated thread for Portal 2 bugs and issues. Please check if your issue or request has already been covered in that thread, if not, please post a reply there describing your issue in detail. Do not create a new thread. The bugs and issues thread is stickied to the top of the Portal 2 forum and is being actively tracked by Valve. Keeping technical feedback to one thread will make it easier for the developers to deal with the issues at hand.
Portal 2 Bugs & Issues Thread
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...ighlight=range
Can I send Portal 2 feedback directly to Valve?
Yes, you may send general feedback to Gabe Newell at gaben@valvesoftware.com. Due to the large number of emails Valve gets after a game release (as well as the work they are already doing), not all emails will receive a reply but they do get read.

What happened to "Pneumatic Diversity Vents"?
Pneumatic Diversity Vents were scrapped by the development team for a number of design reasons. Apparently there was too great an inconsistency between how the vents dealt with the player, and how they dealt with turrets and other props in the game.

Is Portal 2 a console port?
No. If anything, it is a PC port but even that is an inappropriate stretch. John McCaskey, one of the programmers at Valve, had this to say on the subject:

Quote:
... all of the platforms are important to us and it's certainly not true that the game was built for consoles and then ported to PC. Like most of our past titles PC in fact tends to be the most used platform internally during much of development, though consoles get plenty of love too since we want to ensure quality across the board.
Will there be DLC for Portal 2 (new chambers, etc)?
Yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joystiq.com
When asked if those who enjoyed honing their ninja skills would be treated to any challenge rooms in Portal 2, Wolpaw told us that they won't be shipping with the game. "We've kind of shifted those over to achievements," said Wolpaw, though he added Valve is planning Portal 2 DLC, which should be announced after the game ships next month
Valve's Erik Wolpaw on Portal 2's difficulty, PS3 Steam features
http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/13/va...team-features/
The DLC will include “new test chambers for players, leaderboards, challenge mode for single and multiplayer modes, and more.” and will be free for all platforms.
Portal 2 DLC #1 Is FreeFreeFree
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011.../portal-2-dlc/
Also, when the Source SDK is updated to work with Portal 2, there will be plenty of level designers in the community providing custom cooperative and single player maps of varying difficulties. Custom maps can be found at Thinking With Portals

When will the updated Source SDK be released?
The Portal 2 Authoring tools (a Portal 2 specific distribution of the SDK) was released in April 2011 and is still in beta.

Where is the developer commentary?
On the main menu, click PLAY SINGLE PLAYER, then click DEVELOPER COMMENTARY at the bottom of the menu.

How do I enable and access the "developer console"?
On the main menu, click OPTIONS, then click KEYBOARD/MOUSE, then set Allow Developer Console to Enabled. The default key that opens the console in the source engine is the ` or ~ key (to the left of the 1 on standard US keyboards). You can change what key opens the console by altering the Toggle Developer Console key in MISCELLANEOUS section of EDIT KEYS/BUTTONS (found in the KEYBOARD/MOUSE menu). The developer console is not available on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 versions of the game.

How do I remove the crosshair and/or portal gun so I can take screenshots?
In the developer console,
crosshair 0 will remove your crosshair (crosshair 1 will put it back)
r_drawviewmodel 0 will hide the portal gun (r_drawviewmodel 1 will put it back)
How do I take a screenshot?
By default, pressing F5 will take a screenshot and save it as a JPEG in the screenshots folder; on Windows, it's usually something like
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2\screenshots
You can change the Portal 2 screenshot key by altering the Take Screen Shot key in MISCELLANEOUS section of EDIT KEYS/BUTTONS (found in the KEYBOARD/MOUSE menu). The default key for taking a screenshot with the Steam overlay is F12. You can access your Steam screenshots from the Steam overlay (default: Shift+Tab) and even upload them to your Steam profile. You can change the Steam screenshot key from the IN-GAME tab of the Steam settings dialog.

Why are there so many loading screens in Portal 2?
Because that's how the Source engine works. Loading screens are just as common in previous Source games, including Portal; in most of Valve's titles, the game is paused and a small "Loading" overlay appears in the centre of the screen. In Portal 2, this has been replaced with a much more noticeable black screen featuring one of the Aperture Science logos in the middle and a progress bar in the corner. Basically, they stick out a lot more but there isn't actually more of them.

Is there a way to disable the portal funnel (being pushed towards portals as you fall), portal ghosting (HUD feature that outlines a portal when it is on the other side of a wall, etc.) and/or the game instructor (Left 4 Dead-style tooltips that appear in game telling you what buttons to press)?
Yes. Behold a couple of console commands:
sv_player_funnel_into_portals 0 and sv_props_funnel_into_portals 0 will disable the portal funnel for the player and physics props, respectively.
portal_draw_ghosting 0 will disable the portal ghosting effect
gameinstructor_enable 0 will disable hints (including the "press space to speak" tip at the start of the game).
See this thread for more useful console commands:
Useful console commands (Turn off portal funneling, ghosting, and hints)
http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1850982
How can I extract files from the game (like the music and sound effects)?
On PC, download Nemesis' GCFScape from
GCFScape v1.8.2 Full - Nem
http://nemesis.thewavelength.net/index.php?p=26
Then open pak01_dir.vpk from the portal 2 directory with GCFScape. On windows, the path to the directory will look similar to this:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal2
Mac users can use the following app:
GridMount
http://yaakovs.wordpress.com/software/gridmount/
I bought Portal 2 on Steam, does that mean I get a free copy for PlayStation 3?
No. The deal is, you buy the PlayStation 3 version, you get a free steam copy. It doesn't go both ways.

Portal 2: Perpetual Testing Initiative (DLC2)

Will the Puzzle Maker be made available on the XBOX 360 and PS3 versions of Portal 2?
For now, the editing in Puzzle Maker and consuming puzzles via the Portal 2 Workshop will be for PC and Mac versions only.

When you edit a published map and save it, does that update the published version?
No. When you make changes to an already published map, those changes are local-only. (The word 'Published' gets a little star next to it to indicate that what you have is out of sync.) To make the changes live, you must re-publish.

Is there was a way to tweak and update published maps without having to delete and re-publish?
Yes. Just go to the Puzzle Maker, open the map, edit it, save it, and click publish. This will update the map and keep all of the ratings, comments, screenshots, etc. You can keep revising this way. Deleting a map loses all that important history and information, and should be avoided unless that's what you really want.

What is "Hammer" and how does it relate to the Puzzle Maker?
Valve Hammer Editor (more commonly referred to as Hammer) is the external level editor for the source engine and is included with the Source SDK and Portal 2 Authoring Tools Beta. Hammer is the community standard for level editing in source.

Puzzle Maker is not a replacement of Hammer; the two editors compliment each other. While the Puzzle Maker is significantly easier to use (especially for beginners), it does not provide the complex functionality and power that Hammer has. As a result, the Puzzle Maker as several limitations when compared to Hammer:
  • The Puzzle Maker is locked to a 128 unit grid and cannot make world geometry (walls, floor, ceiling, etc.) smaller than this. It also cannot create angled geometry however this effect can be somewhat achieved using panels.
  • Alternative chamber styles, such as Destroyed or Underground are not possible in Puzzle Maker due primarily to the complexity this would add to the editor.
  • Custom content cannot be used in Puzzle Maker. This includes both custom models and textures, but also custom testing elements that the community has rebuilt, such as the Pneumatic Diversity Vents
  • Neither the Puzzle Maker, nor the Workshop support cooperative (multiplayer) maps. It is currently unknown if Valve plans to implement coop support.

Last edited by Nacimota: 05-26-2012 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Updated for DLC2
Old 04-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #2
Nacimota

<Reserved for more space or whatever>
Nacimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:40 PM   #3
Coleman `

Quote:
portal_draw_ghosting 0 will disable the portal ghosting effect.
This is a cheat command, and considering sv_cheats enables achievements, it's not worth even mentioning.

Quote:
gameinstructor_enable 0 will disable hints
This also removes things such as "press space to speak" that you see at the beginning of the game. It at least needs to be mentioned.
Coleman ` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #4
Nacimota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman ` View Post
This is a cheat command, and considering sv_cheats enables achievements, it's not worth even mentioning.

This also removes things such as "press space to speak" that you see at the beginning of the game. It at least needs to be mentioned.
Fair call. Updated.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:22 AM   #5
Toxicblade

Nice post
Toxicblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:55 AM   #6
Ls777

Quote:
though he added Valve is planning Portal 2 DLC, which should be announced after the game ships next month.
Proof that valve is planning to add dlc, please add this to the OP please
Ls777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 07:03 AM   #7
Nacimota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls777 View Post

Proof that valve is planning to add dlc, please add this to the OP please
Updated; thanks!
Old 04-26-2011, 05:54 PM   #8
Demented_goose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coleman ` View Post
This is a cheat command, and considering sv_cheats enables achievements, it's not worth even mentioning
I'm not quite sure where you've got this from. Those stupid portal outlines annoyed the hell out of me and were turned off straight away. I've played the whole game with them off and never needed to enable sv_cheats. I've also earned achievements no problemo.
Old 04-26-2011, 06:33 PM   #9
Coleman `

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented_goose View Post
I'm not quite sure where you've got this from. Those stupid portal outlines annoyed the hell out of me and were turned off straight away. I've played the whole game with them off and never needed to enable sv_cheats. I've also earned achievements no problemo.
Manually entering it works, but it cant be used in an autoexec.
Coleman ` is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:57 PM   #10
Nacimota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demented_goose View Post
I have just tested this myself, you are correct. Thanks.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:22 AM   #11
occono

Is there an expiry date for the Steam copy codes? With PSN down they can't be used at the moment.
occono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 07:44 PM   #12
Yellig

Quote:
Originally Posted by occono View Post
Is there an expiry date for the Steam copy codes? With PSN down they can't be used at the moment.
I doubt it. I had a Portal retail copy for over a year before opening it and using its code, which worked fine.
Yellig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:10 PM   #13
Nacimota

Updated DLC question with recently published information; improved formatting
Old 04-29-2011, 02:14 PM   #14
Dr Bob

In Portal 1, the crosshair was useful for identifying where you were allowed to place portals.

This feature is not present in Portal 2 for some reason.

Is there a way to get it back?
Dr Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #15
Nacimota

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob View Post
In Portal 1, the crosshair was useful for identifying where you were allowed to place portals.

This feature is not present in Portal 2 for some reason.

Is there a way to get it back?
I don't have a definate answer to that, I'm sorry, but I'm about 95% sure that the answer is no.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Portal 2