Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dwarfs!?

Old 05-09-2011, 04:51 PM   #1
Haihaine

Power of Two
Exclamation Startup Errors and Their Various Solutions

The game has soon been out for a week, and in that time we have caught various breeds of start-up issues, each with its own solution! In this little sticky I'll list all symptoms and their remedies, so that they are easy to find.

Exhibit A: "Dwarfs has stopped working" - The Windows Crash Screen

Symptoms: The game installs fine, but when it's about to run, BAM! It crashes with the Windows crash screen before opening the game window.

Solutions: Might be either the .NET framework, or the XNA framework. Install .NET 3.5 and XNA 3.1 manually! Make sure it's XNA 3.1 and not 4.0 (it's okay to have both, though)! XNA is easier to install, so start with that.

XNA 3.1: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...1-98eb3e799ef2

.Net 3.5: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/e...displaylang=en

Exhibit B: "Error Code 2908" - The Missing Gatekeeper

Symptoms: You try to install XNA but get this error instead. This one is a blast.

Solution: Ten easy steps, compiled by the legendary poet Killin_Frenzy
0. Make sure you have installed the framework 4.0

1. Check out the version of mscoree.dll in c:\windows\system32. If it's 2.0.50727.4927, then continue.

2. Fiddle with permissions of this dll (Properties>>Security>>Advanced>>Change permissions>>Add>>$$Your user name$$>>OK>>OK>>OK

3. Rename it to mscoree.dll.old

(If you have windows 7 x64 then do the same in 1-3 ALSO with c:\windows\syswow64\mscoree.dll)

4. Open the file dotNetFx40_Full_x86_x64.exe (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en) with any extractor and extract it to any folder

5. Open the folder

6. Find the file netfx_Core.mzz and rename it with netfx_Core.zip and open with extractor

7. Extract the file _003_mscoree_dll_x86 (and if you have windows 7 x64 ALSO the _003_mscoree_dll_amd64)

8a. X64: Rename _003_mscoree_dll_amd64 to mscoree.dll and copy it to c:\windows\system32

8b. X86: Rename _003_mscoree_dll_x86 to mscoree.dll and copy it to c:\windows\system32

9a. X64: Rename _003_mscoree_dll_x86 to mscoree.dll and copy it to c:\windows\syswow64

10. No restart needed. Just install the x64 prereqs and next visual studio as it was ment to be. (In this case it's XNA 3.1)

Exhibit C: "Ooops, sorry about this!" - The Eternal Sadness

Symptoms: You start the game, and it runs, but immediately or almost immediately, it crashes into the in-game crash screen. It says that you can press enter or escape to send a crash report, but it's lying -- you can't do either!

This rare startup bug is caused by bad feng shui in your machine and is very likely related to your sound card. Most common habitat is in computers with Vista64 and a sound card of Sound Blaster technology.

Solution: If you're lucky, updating your sound drivers. If you're not, switching to on-board audio.

Exhibit D: "..." - The Peek-a-Boo of Doom

Symptoms: The game 'starts', and the Dwarfs!? icon appears for a split second before disappearing without any kind of crash screen.

Solution: This error is very rare, and has no known weakness. We have top men on the job.

If you have a startup issue not related to these breeds, or have additional information for our Buggydex, feel free to make a new thread.

Last edited by Haihaine: 05-31-2011 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
haakon023

awsome:P had this problem my self but i got solution by my self tho
good guide
Old 06-16-2011, 07:38 PM   #3
Caiobrz

Hi there .... I start the game and I get this:

Dwarfs.exe - Application Error

Application has generated an exception that could not be handled

Process ID=0xa34 (2612), Thread ID=0x8e0 (2272)

Click OK to terminate the application.
Click CANCEL to debug the application.

=/
Caiobrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Haihaine

Power of Two
Have you installed XNA 3.1 and NET 3.5? If not, there are links in the first post, under Exhibit A!
Haihaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:39 AM   #5
Caiobrz

Thumbs up

yeah it seems related to .NET. I tried installing the one at the link and it failed midway on the install and reverted back. To my surprise, after that other windows applications started crashing with similar error messages.

Turns out my current .NET version (2.0) was corrupt in such weird way I could not install a new one (way to go M$!) ... used the repair/reinstall tool from .NET and applications are working again. Will try the upgrade again, if it fails I will try a full uninstall of .NET and fresh 3.5 install. It's kinda late here so it will have to wait until tomorrow

--- edit ---
Ok managed to install .NET 3.5 (had to do a clean install) but still no luck, now instead of the .NET specific error, I get the usual "this application mande an illegal call and has to be closed" kind of error as soon as I try to start the game =x

Seems I am in no luck. Well, it's just on my laptop, I can still play on my desktop and netbook o.O; only major difference: W7 here, WXP there.

XNA 3.1 was installed already. Should I try the Exhibit B solution? doesn't seem likelly to work since the error description is far from it.

Last edited by Caiobrz: 06-17-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: continuing ...
Old 06-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Dudler

Power of Two
Have you tried the end of this thread? http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=52991
Dudler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 05:15 PM   #7
Caiobrz

Well, only difference with what he did is that I didn't try .NET 4.0 ... will give it a try

I have all updated drivers for all hardware, in fact Im running the machine in a recently fresh install (you know Windows ... gotta clean up disk and reinstall once every couple of years since it can't handle some fragmentation >.> I hope W7 isn't like that)
Old 06-17-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Caiobrz

.NET 4.0 installed ... no joy:

"Dwarves has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the incovenience.".

I quit =/ will play using remote desktop since my desktop is 24-7 on LOL
Old 06-24-2011, 07:21 PM   #9
Hicsy

Manual installing .NetFX35 fixed my no-startup issue thank you!! For your reference, I installed XNA.FX31 and tried Dwarfs! straight away, same error, so I installed .NetFX35 aswell and restarted (all with internet security off) and then the game launched.
Something else may or may not be helpful to you is if ffdshow is installed, it stalls on launch with a dialog asking for permissions: "Dwarfs.exe attempted to load ffdshow but it is not on the whitelist or blacklist... use or don't use?" (none of my games have asked this before).
Neither makes a difference on my PC so I assume its a simple CoDec used by Dwarfs!, but perhaps this dialog could get in the way of some loads. (Exhibit D?)

...as a side note, did anyone else notice that the new .net installer seems to be using some sort of terrible packeting system (maybe a torrent system)... my dowload was restarting every 15 seconds and would usually drop the last 2-3MB downloaded... the 60MB package required 140MB to be downloaded!
Old 07-02-2011, 04:06 AM   #10
SassieST808

Sorry to inform you that I ask for a refund. As this is the last time I buy software that is not working/broken.

It looks normal these days how we got ripped off with crappy software.

And I don't give a .... about what programmers has to say about bugs and how difficult it is.
It is defenatly not our fault but we can pay for all this nonsense!

If I don't get a refund I will contact Mastercard to get my refund.

Or else gamecompanies will never learn!
SassieST808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #11
TheCutThroatNOM

My brother's been trying to get this to work. First he had to use the XNA 3.5 fix, and after that he got the 'kitten overlord' message. Now when he starts up the game he gets the developer splash screens, and the music, but the menu screen consists of just a black screen and a cursor.
TheCutThroatNOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 11:32 AM   #12
Dudler

Power of Two
Some more describing would be great. take us step by step
Old 07-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #13
Czar_Cain

Question cant get the sreen to FULL

For some reason I cant confirm the full screen mode option. the cursor either goes off the page or if I alt tab... the page is enlarged....
Old 07-05-2011, 03:52 AM   #14
Dudler

Power of Two
Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar_Cain View Post
For some reason I cant confirm the full screen mode option. the cursor either goes off the page or if I alt tab... the page is enlarged....
Hmm sounds weird. Can you explain if you have any other problems or any thing else acts strange?
Old 07-05-2011, 05:06 AM   #15
ChampionOnion64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudler View Post
Some more describing would be great. take us step by step
Hello, TheCutThroatNOM's brother here.

1. Dwarfs opens in a window not full screen
2. It shows Power of Two logo
3. It shows the Tripwire logo
4. It shows the Tonescrool logo
5. the screen goes black and I can move the little dwarfs hand cursor round but nothing happens.
6. I right click on the tool bar and close dwarfs but the music continues playing untill I Ctrl Alt Delete it.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dwarfs!?