Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 03-08-2017, 01:45 AM   #1
Mech_Chicken

Weapon pickups need to be easier.

Weapon pickup should use a hold button, not this wonky perfect-targeting crap we have now. You should be able to sweep your crosshair over the weapon and pick it up easily.

Many times I've seen or even been a person looking at the floor like an idiot while being shot at because picking up weapons is harder than it should be. If the weapon is smallish, it's GOING to take longer than it should to pick it up, and to make matters worse, the weapon pickup button has some kind of built-in cooldown that just makes it the worst to use.

I'm tired of this. Please fix it.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:39 AM   #2
Thurbo

I originally bound a mouse wheel direction to picking up weapons (you can also make a key that toggles between weapon selection and picking up with your mouse wheel if you prefer). That's pretty much equal to a hold key.

However they broke it some time ago. For me it seems that if you miss a weapon the first time the command is on a cooldown or something where spamming the button while aiming at a weapon won't do nothing until some time has passed.

So it's possibly even more broken than you think, unless that's an odd issue on my end.
Thurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:44 AM   #3
Mech_Chicken

Picking weapons up shouldn't be some dumb minigame where you have to aim at a tiny object, use a seldom-used button that could be on the other side of your keyboard if you didn't rebind it, and have a penalty for missing. It's pointless. It could easily be much better.
Mech_Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:15 AM   #4
Zilkenian

You're right on that one. I never pick a weapon from the floor, but I actually feel bad for the new players who want to try new weapons, yet they're killed while trying to get the weapon from the floor, or the second they finally get it.
Zilkenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:32 AM   #5
TMNWG

Just increase the pickup hitbox or better yet, ask the CSGO team how they do it.
TMNWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #6
Sud

but man, the hilarity of backstabbing the gibus frantically trying to pick up the shiny australium off the ground
Sud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:06 PM   #7
Thurbo

I love pushing them away. It's pretty funny to see them keep staring at the thing after getting launched by an explosion.
Thurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #8
TheOnlyGuyEver

I only times I ever pick up weapons is if I suddenly run out of ammo or my strategy isn't working and I'm too far from spawn.
TheOnlyGuyEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
Zilkenian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sud View Post
but man, the hilarity of backstabbing the gibus frantically trying to pick up the shiny australium off the ground
Oh wow! that's horrible!.....I'll have to try it sometime, but is still horrible!
Zilkenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #10
Toadgineer

The pickup radius should at least be bigger and should also override reload animations (but if not, I guess it's to prevent easily having double the clip size).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thurbo View Post
I originally bound a mouse wheel direction to picking up weapons (you can also make a key that toggles between weapon selection and picking up with your mouse wheel if you prefer). That's pretty much equal to a hold key.

However they broke it some time ago. For me it seems that if you miss a weapon the first time the command is on a cooldown or something where spamming the button while aiming at a weapon won't do nothing until some time has passed.

So it's possibly even more broken than you think, unless that's an odd issue on my end.
If I recall correctly, there was an exploit involving spamming the pickup command, which would give you items with full clips or completed cooldowns by "juggling" weapons. I'm not sure how exactly it worked, but I think it had something to do along the lines of "if you drop the weapon immediately after firing" or "if you pickup the weapon before it even touches the ground," the clip is reverted. Effectively, you had infinite ammo in an infinite clip.
Toadgineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #11
Loose Cannon

Or removed? How about removed?
Loose Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #12
Timerlane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon View Post
Or removed? How about removed?
Just as long as we keep our dropped ammo boxes, and we don't have to go back to looking for tiny Spy knives, revolvers and pistols that are easily blown into some random corner of the room by spam and completely forgotten.

OTOH, it is a little weird and wrong that Heavies, caught with their Sandviches out, instead drop 'healing ammo boxes'.
Timerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #13
TheOnlyGuyEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timerlane View Post
, it is a little weird and wrong that Heavies, caught with their Sandviches out, instead drop 'healing ammo boxes'.
Are you for real? No no no, they kept the post-death sandvich, right?
TheOnlyGuyEver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:46 PM   #14
Loose Cannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timerlane View Post
Just as long as we keep our dropped ammo boxes
Of course, that's basically the only good aspect of the weapon drop update.

Picking up weapons doesn't serve any real purpose in TF2 other than making it more similar to CS:GO. It's confusing to me that this feature has been in the game for as long as it has.
Loose Cannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:11 PM   #15
A 1970 Corvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loose Cannon View Post
Of course, that's basically the only good aspect of the weapon drop update.

Picking up weapons doesn't serve any real purpose in TF2 other than making it more similar to CS:GO. It's confusing to me that this feature has been in the game for as long as it has.
I knew it was dumb when it was added and I also knew that it'd never be undone.
A 1970 Corvette is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2