Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2

Old 03-17-2017, 01:04 PM   #1
ViRaGisTe

thank you VALVe for the MYM update

Yes! after playing this game for 6 years, I never thought it would end up like this:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=882453513

We appreciate the effort done to deliver this "MYM" update, but seriously you need to reverse it or at least bring back some of the pub servers the way they were.

this is getting really annoying!
Old 03-17-2017, 01:23 PM   #2
dontango

I feel you, the Matchmaker is pure for so many reasons and i have zero confidence in the people still "working" on TF2 but this is the wrong board to talk about it. Half the userbase uninstalled TF2 a long time ago (yet still defends it) and the other half only plays in secluded out-of-the-box communities and knows nothing about casual matchmaking.
dontango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
Gyokuyoutama

At first I misread this as a "MvM update."

Though, on reflection, maybe that's the idea. One team of players get to fight swarms of enemies.
Gyokuyoutama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:04 PM   #4
Timerlane

I think two of the possible changes the TF Team were considering were; a. merging low-population players from same-map servers on map (re)load, and b. shuffling teams on map change(which would presumably include balancing the teams' playercounts if unbalanced).

Of course, right now, I'm sure they're busy scrambling to get the 'toolchain' stuff working on Macs.
Timerlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #5
JBski

I think my most favorite part about the MyM update is that I can't join in on any of my friends' games in progress if they are on a Valve server.

Thanks guys!
JBski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:30 PM   #6
Gyokuyoutama

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBski View Post
I think my most favorite part about the MyM update is that I can't join in on any of my friends' games in progress if they are on a Valve server.

Thanks guys!
We all know that "playing with friends" is just a euphemism for teamstacking.
Gyokuyoutama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:41 PM   #7
MysticTheMeeM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyokuyoutama View Post
I justify it because I once switched team and use that as evidence that I switch teams to balance the games.
:^)
MysticTheMeeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #8
SodaPopSimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyokuyoutama View Post
Conveniently every single player who likes to "play with friends" loves to switch teams and help out the losing team.
SodaPopSimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:12 PM   #9
Galot

my favorite part of the mym update is when they promised a follow-up update and nearly a year later they still haven't remembered to actually do it
Galot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:52 PM   #10
Hartisen

I don't know why it takes so long to autobalance. There's times when I want to switch to the other team but I can't.

Moreover, autobalance only considers the number of players each team has.

It doesn't consider levels.
It doesn't consider scores.
It doesn't consider if BLU completely rolled RED in the previous round.

If RED has more players, it'll try to move players to BLU.
Hartisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:52 PM   #11
TuxedoRex

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViRaGisTe View Post
This is a result of refills being over-stressed, which is a result of map vote churning out partially filled servers nonstop.

People love to complain about casual matchmaking, but for some reason they will not acknowledge the problem is lack of refills.

Things were really great prior to the update that added map votes, for real. Autobalance would be irrelevant/unnecessary if refills were as fast as they used to be. Autobalance is not the problem, and can never be the solution.
TuxedoRex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:41 AM   #12
dontango

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuxedoRex View Post
Things were really great prior to the update that added map votes, for real. Autobalance would be irrelevant/unnecessary if refills were as fast as they used to be. Autobalance is not the problem, and can never be the solution.
To me it "feels" like the set interval is just way too high. (Of course it's just a feeling because there is zero communication, zero feedback and zero updates on Valve's side, as usual)

It feels like the server is not in constant communication with the matchmaker. The interval might be set to every 5 minutes.

Usually when a few guys "play with their friends" (of course against a team that has no group of friends working together) the enemy team just quits after being unabled to leave spawn. Then the game continues 7 on 11 for 5 minutes until all of a sudden a bunch of new players connect. By the time they have loaded the game, the stomping team will have won round two and they get greeted by the scoreboard.

This also happens to me at least once every time i play. I queue for Badwater, i wait up to 5 minutes in queue, i join a in progress game on the losing side with 30 seconds on the clock. The round ends by the time i start playing, everyone votes for Dustbowl, i disconnect. I completely wasted 5+ minutes of my time and join the queue, again.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:56 AM   #13
Incarnati0n

MyM will never be as good as the old server browser was. And it still baffles me, because noone ever even talked about a matchmaking system for casual, all that had been on the table was competitive matchmaking

The TF2 team should have just cut their losses and reverted to the old system. Now we're several months and updates in and backing down is no longer an option
Incarnati0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 04:08 AM   #14
dontango

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnati0n View Post
The TF2 team should have just cut their losses and reverted to the old system. Now we're several months and updates in and backing down is no longer an option

They never did anything like that on TF2, thought. Dota or CS:Go? Of course, blog posts, reverting balance changes, apologizing to the community, you name it and they did it.

I still remember how they ruined community servers by
1. Introducing ingame advertising as one of their TF2 experiments (Pinion of )

2. But instead of banning/removing said advertising from the game after their experiment failed miserably, they took away quickplay traffic from all community servers.

This was the moment when it was clear that Valve did not give a about the community and community hosted servers. Instead they enforced their ty, cheater infested quickplay pubs as the new way to play the game. Casual matchmaking was the next logical step to completely control the game.
Old 03-18-2017, 05:11 AM   #15
ViRaGisTe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incarnati0n View Post
MyM will never be as good as the old server browser was. And it still baffles me, because noone ever even talked about a matchmaking system for casual, all that had been on the table was competitive matchmaking

they already lost 20k players, how many more players are they willing to lose before reverting the changes or at least bring some of the pubs back ?
ViRaGisTe is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > T - Z > Team Fortress 2