Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source

Old 07-04-2008, 03:29 PM   #1
Shane

Volunteer Moderator
New to DoD:S? Ask your questions here! Tips inside!

So, either you haven't played DoD:S in a long time and have been enticed by the update OR you're totally new and have been brought in by the free weekend.

The point of this thread is to allow new players to ask questions and to provide tips to help w/ your enjoyment of the game.

DoD:S Tips for the new player!

1. Be civil
*You give what you get. You will find that if you can politely ask questions in game you will find a lot of people who are willing to help you. If not, then join another server. The DoD:S community has a TON of friendly servers.

2. Mini-map is your friend
*View the full view (what I like to call the "maxi-map") while in the respawn to learn routes and watch teammate movement. Toggle to the mini-map while out of spawn to see if that guy you hear coming around the corner is friend or foe.

The mini-map is a GREAT way to learn layouts of maps and understand player movement.

3. What class to start with?
*I suggest MG or Assault (SMG or MP40).

Pick MG if you're the kind of person who likes to "take it all in". Learn to use the deploy feature and toggle to mini-map during lulls. I prefer to learn this way. Move slowly, observe movement and action around you.

If you prefer to "jump right in" then use the SMG class. They have a great RoF and minimal recoil for an auto, so you can spray n' pray as you go. Plus they have a very easy melee attack (punch) that you use as your 2ndary weapon.

4. Flags and Capping
*Most maps are CTF (capture the flag). Watch the flag icons to see which and how many your team controls. There are times when you may want to pass on a flag cap, but that is a tactic for a deeper discussion. So, for a new player, generally speaking, when you see a flag... CAP IT! Especially if your team is down to the last flag, don't pass on an chance to cap a flag.
*From leafeater: You can break-up captures!
There are zones such as the Tank on Donner, or the well on Avalanche. They require 2 or more people to capture a zone. When you notice on your mini-map or the flags on the HUD (heads up display) are in the process of being captured, you can defend the capture so they do not take controll of te point. There is two main ways of blocking multi-man cap zones.
A. Kill one (or more) in the zone with your gun and/or grenade. Simple enough.
B. BLOCKING THE CAPTURE WITH YOUR BODY! You can run into any capture zone and the cap will immedatly stop. Dont be afraid to run in there. You will respawn if you die, and even better you give your team 3-7 more vital seconds to also help stop them taking the point!

5. Use your secondary attacks!
*From Film11: For assault (mp40, tommy gun) class has a smoke grenade. Make sure to use it to cover attacks on flags, or by blocking enemy sniper's views down alleyways etc.

6. Rifle class
*From Film11: Use the grenade launcher on the rifles (Garand and Kar98) to launch grenades more easily and further.
*From comcastftw1266: Don't rush with a rifle. If you are going to rush, throw smoke to cover you. Editor note: rifles don't have smoke, so either you have to wait for an assault to throw one or play that class.
*From Scooby: Rifle Grenades can be bounced off of walls, ceilings and other hard objects. Great for pinballing around corners or dropping behind people.
*From Chan007: Avoid using the iron sights, just use the crosshair and stand still to shoot accurately over a really far distance.

[color=orange]6A. Support Class[/color
*from Chan007: Try not to engage much farther than close range as the gun has some pretty wicked recoil if you don't know what you're doing. And always crouch when spraying the support gun.

7. Detonation Maps
*These are maps where you don't capture flags. Rather you "detonate" an object or have to defend the object.
*From Jez the Pie: Hold E while looking at a bomb to disarm it - don't try shooting it off the vehicle.
Also look at the yellow silhouette and hold E to place a bomb - don't just tap and leave. (Seriously, I tried the first one right at the start of the trial, not having a clue what to do)

8. General Info
*From Jez the Pie: Keep an eye on your health meter in the bottom left - there doesn't seem to be that much indication when you're hit, so death often comes as a surprise if you're not looking.
*Do NOT be afraid to die. What's the worse that can happen? You respawn a few seconds later. Throw your body in their to break a cap, to rush for that last cap, to defend a teammate who is either setting a detonation fuse or trying to defuse. Teammates always love this kind of sacrifice.

9. Grenades
*From ¿Señor Freeman?: Day of defeat's grenades detonate after you pull the pin (5 Seconds to be exact).
*From ¿Señor Freeman?: if you see a grenade land nearby press E (use key) to grab it and throw back.

-----
Thread Rules:
1. I will merge any useful tips into the OP and give credit to the submitter
2. This is not a gripe thread. If you don't have the civility to not post if you aren't being helpful, I will give you an infraction and remove your post.
3. I will be happy to post counter-points for those who may have alternate or contrasting tips, so long as they are maturely presented. Then you, the player, can pick what works best for you.
4. Keep questions limited to tactics or game mechanics, etc... and not technical. For example this thread is not about which vid card works best for DoD:S.

Last edited by Shane: 07-05-2008 at 12:00 AM.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #2
Film11

The assault class has a smoke grenade. Make sure to use it to cover attacks on flags, or by blocking enemy sniper's views down alleyways etc.

Use the grenade launcher on the rifles (Garand and Kar98) to launch grenades more easily and further.
Film11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:30 PM   #3
Jez the Pie

Bomb maps: Hold E while looking at a bomb to disarm it - don't try shooting it off the vehicle.
Also look at the yellow silhouette and hold E to place a bomb - don't just tap and leave.
(Seriously, I tried the first one right at the start of the trial, not having a clue what to do)

Keep an eye on your health meter in the bottom left - there doesn't seem to be that much indication when you're hit, so death often comes as a surprise if you're not looking.
Jez the Pie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Scooby.

Rifle Grenades can be bounced off of walls, ceilings and other hard objects. Great for pinballing around corners or dropping behind people.
Old 07-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #5
comcastftw1266

Banned
Don't rush with a rifle. If you are going to rush, throw smoke to cover you.

That's all I can say because I'm a newb. =(

Great job OP!
comcastftw1266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:56 PM   #6
¿Señor Freeman?

Unlike Counter strike and such where you can Unpin the grenade and run freely with the grenade held down Day of defeat's grenades detonate after you pull the pin (5 Seconds to be exact)

if you see a grenade land nearby press E to grab it and throw back

Last edited by ¿Señor Freeman?: 07-04-2008 at 04:59 PM.
¿Señor Freeman? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
leafeater

Ok, this is a big pet peeve of mine:

Blowking Multi-Man Capture Zones:
Thease are zones such as the Tank on Donner, or the Well on Avalanche. They require 2 or more people to capture a zone. When you notice on your mini-map or the flags on the HUD (heads up display) are in the process of being captured, you can defend the capture so they do not take controll of te point. There is two main ways of blocking multi-man cap zones.
A. Kill one (or more) in the zone with your gun and/or gernade. Simple enough.
B. BLOCKING THE CAPTURE WITH YOUR BODY! You can run into any capture zone and the cap will immedatly stop. Dont be afraid to run in there. You will respawn if you die, and even better you give your team 3-7 more vital seconds to also help stop them taking the point!

#B jaratees me off in pubs. Ex there is 5 people in the tank house, and the other team is capping the tank. All 5 people camp in the house and nobody even tries to stop it.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
Chan007

If you're playing Rifleman, avoid using the iron sights, just use the crosshair and stand still to shoot accurately over a really far distance.

If playing support, try not to engage much farther than close range as the gun has some pretty wicked recoil if you don't know what you're doing. And always crouch when spraying the support gun.
Chan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #9
JimmyJimmington

For a full run down on how to optimize your computer for best in game performance. please refer to this thread http://www.fragdods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39

PLEASE NOTE: the downloadable config file contained therein is not optimized for the updated engine. follow the same process explained above but use one of the updated configs available here (low for low end PCs, high for high end PCs, etc.) http://files.filefront.com/fpsconfig.../fileinfo.html
note, the net code and interpolation settings contained within are written with a 66 tick or higher server in mind that isnt experiencing lag, choke, or loss. If you dont know much about net code or interpolation (and i mean really know about it), it isnt advisable to alter those settings beyond what is in this config.

addendum: if you decide to alter your dx level, be sure to test dx 8 dx 9 and dx 95 to decide which one truly works best for your computer.

credit to klown for guide and jisforjosh for config

Last edited by JimmyJimmington: 07-04-2008 at 06:50 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 06:56 PM   #10
AzaZeL.Gaming

And maybe the greatest tip of all, introduced by the famous Fatal1ty himself;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SlCRfTmBSGs

Old 07-05-2008, 12:01 AM   #11
Shane

Volunteer Moderator
Updated.

Jimmy, that's good stuff, but I want to avoid technical stuff, but I'll leave it in the body as I'm sure a lot of people will read through the posts.

Thanks everyone for what we have so far.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #12
Paco

Banned
Good post Shane!!!

I have a little noob question.
Despite I'm a noob and I suck I want to know if sniper can hold his breath for a seconds to shoot accuratelly.

Thanks
Paco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #13
Koblentz

Don't go prone all the time! It limits your mobility and doesn't improve the accuracy of your weapon. The only time you should be prone is when you're firing from a concealed position or taking cover on a capture point. If you go prone to fire at an enemy in the open, you'll die because you can't run away once his reinforcements arrive.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:36 AM   #14
Valteq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koblentz View Post
Don't go prone all the time! It limits your mobility and doesn't improve the accuracy of your weapon. The only time you should be prone is when you're firing from a concealed position or taking cover on a capture point. If you go prone to fire at an enemy in the open, you'll die because you can't run away once his reinforcements arrive.
Going prone with the support greatly improves your ability to kill someone at range. What do you mean it doesn't improve your accuracy?
Old 07-05-2008, 11:38 AM   #15
FuzzDad

Volunteer Moderator
It doesn't improve your accuracy...it reduces your recoil

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Day of Defeat: Source