Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Numen: Contest of Heroes

Old 10-27-2010, 07:05 PM   #1
PhotoJoe

Game Stopping Bug

I've attempted to complete this game twice, as a mage and a fighter. On both attempts I was tasked with retrieving 3 maps w/o having any dialog w/ the character. Upon completion of the task (much later as I had to gain more than 20 levels before I could survive the enemies) everything seemed fine. Then a a few hours of game time later I would get the dialog that starts the quest to retrieve the 3 maps. The first time this happened I simply went back and killed many a pirate and opened many a chest to never find those maps again. That was how it went with my fighter. Then it happened to my mage. Same result. I can progress no further in the game due to that broken quest.

This bug is a real show-stopper.

Old 10-28-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
kovi_cz

CINEMAX
The only solution for now is not to enter the cave on the right in the Imbros underground until Misarica sends you there herself. When you go to Misarica for the first time at the beginning of adulthood, you have a dialog with another hero on the crossroads. Go to the left to see Misarica after that and don't go to the right until you get the "Precious maps" quest from Misarica directly. There is no need to enter that part of underground until then, anyway.
kovi_cz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:49 AM   #3
0xDEADC0DE

It's indeed a bug but it's also related to an error you did, you need to cheat the hero making him taking the right path and then you need to go left, if you read carefully at what he says it's explained. Go left and there will be no bug
0xDEADC0DE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:23 AM   #4
pankuleczka

Ok, so i have the same problem, but i thought "maybe it will sort itself out anyway". It didn't. Went right to the pirate's cave, the quest with maps triggered itself and all went to hell.

Dude above said: "It's indeed a bug but it's also related to an error you did" - if someone wants to explore on it's own and the way is not locked, then why call it a gamer error?

kovi_cz, you wrote in this thread http://forums.steampowered.com/forum....php?t=1539021 "Hmm, it seems that this is not a general bug that happens to everyone (I started the game over again and it didn't happen to me), but we definitely have to solve it ASAP." - i say it is a general bug. You go left to Miscara, it's fine. You go right, you're breaking your game, quests get mixed up, nothing happens after giving the minotaur's blood. It's that simple.

I see 3 solutions to the problem:
Let the user to go inside, quest should not trigger and
1) the maps should not spawn
2) they can spawn and they could fulfill the quest later instantly
or
3) close that door by game engine, make the hero "bounce off" with a message like "better not go inside" or something like that.

Anyway: I'm in front of cave with Orthrus. I have the flute. I can't go in. 15 hours of my time seem to be wasted, as i can't finish the game. Please fix it. AT LEAST let the players go inside when they have the flute, don't mind the wrecked plot. Call it an immediate temporary fix. This shouldn't be that much work, right?

Thanks for reading.
pankuleczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:16 AM   #5
kovi_cz

CINEMAX
pankuleczka: Actually, in that other thread I'm talking only about the bug where you hand the Minotaur's blood over to Misarica and she doesn't give you another quest. Do you suggest that these too problems (i.e. getting the "Precious maps" prematurely and not getting another quest from Misarica after handing her the blood over) relate? That's an interesting idea... And it would also explain why I didn't face the latter bug when testing the game from the beginning again...

This problem with "Precious maps" appeared only after we released a patch (maybe the latest one, I'm not sure about that). Because this problem definitely wasn't there before. Originally, it worked as you suggest in 1).

But I don't think the scripter would like your immediate temporary fix.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
pankuleczka

It's pretty obvious actually. Just look at http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...1427733&page=2, post 24 and then 26.
pankuleczka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
kovi_cz

CINEMAX
It seems so... And if it's true, we have kind of a solution for the "Voice in the Darkness" bug, at least. But of course, we have to make a patch for this.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
jfunk825

Wow. Just encountered this bug. Can't believe the very first quest in the story line has a game breaking bug in it this long after release. Walk through a door and your game is permanently broken. Brilliant.

This is why you don't buy stuff from companies like this. Enjoy your free money I guess. Just wasted about 6 hours of my life on this. At least it happened in the first quest and not the 20th.

If the fact that a commercial software company was soliciting donations on their website wasn't so freaking funny, it would actually be insulting.
jfunk825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #9
kovi_cz

CINEMAX
jfunk825: And you don't have any save position from before you went through that door? Generally, it's a good idea to save often and into various slots.
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 AM   #10
jfunk825

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovi_cz View Post
jfunk825: And you don't have any save position from before you went through that door? Generally, it's a good idea to save often and into various slots.
I do. It's back before I ever went in the left door. First thing I did after sending the other hero guy through the right door was follow him in there to see what his fate was.

Can your script writer even explain why entering that door is a trigger event at all? It makes no sense. Shouldn't have anything to do with the quest sequence. When the witch gives the quest to get the scrolls, that event should spawn the scrolls. Why is the witch even checking whether or not you have walked through the door in her script? It's impossible to believe that this will be the last event of this type going forward in this game. Incredibly poor design decisions and broken script logic are things that don't tend to happen in a vacuum. Their presence immediately at the beginning of the game, especially this long after launch, means the same types of errors are sure to permeate the entire game.

I have absolutely no interest in going back to that point and replaying the entire stupid "collect the eggs" MMO-style collection quest where you spend an hour killing the same random respawn mobs over and over again until you get random low probability drops.

Seriously, this game is of ultra low quality even before encountering this inexcusable bug. I was willing to give it a little time and see if a story worth reading ever developed, but so far it's been nothing but MMO-style grind quests...only there is no MMO to explain the poor quality of the quest design. Adding the inexplicable frustration of repeating over an hour of pointless grinding immediately upon starting the very first quest of the main story is simply the last straw. I have no further time to waste on this product.

Consider my purchase price one of the donations you guys beg for on your web site (rather weak for a company selling commercial products). Put that towards the development cost of a future product. Note: when you make a single player RPG, more should be expected of it than being a really buggy MMO-clone. MMO's have extremely weak quests of the "grind, rinse, repeat" variety because it's almost unavoidable in an environment shared by thousands of users. There is no excuse for that design philosophy appearing in a single-player game though.
jfunk825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #11
kovi_cz

CINEMAX
In any case, thanks for your opinion. We welcome players sharing their thoughts about our games with us. Don't forget that we are an independent developer and that Numen was created by less than 10 people, and it's no small game.

I have no idea about how the script works and since our script writer does not visit these forums, I think that your questions will remain unanswered.
Old 11-30-2010, 01:00 AM   #12
Lamento

Quote:
I have no idea about how the script works and since our script writer does not visit these forums, I think that your questions will remain unanswered.
I don't think you're getting the point.
Numen is a broken piece of software, and people paid money for it. So the vendor/developer is supposed to either fix the product or return the money. And not just express regrets.
Lamento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 12:02 PM   #13
SpectralShade

Just encountered the bug myself -.-
I didn't realize there was an issue untill I was wondering what was up with lack of quest drops. At first I just thought there was a really low drop rate.

I explained the other hero that it was left, followed him to the left. Met Misca. When she asked me to collect eggs, I mistakenly went to the other side of the cave because I thought the mobs with the quest drop might be there, and not the mobs I had been killing to get into the cave in the first place. First mob I encoutnered was way above me in level and I ran out again. Now I got the "no dialog map quest" after turning in the egg quest and no drops of maps...

Game was looking decent untill now, but seriously... I shouldn't have my game time be litterally wasted because of a gamebreaking bug that is THIS easy to stumble upon.

Not to mention that it totally ruins the "autosave" part of the game when you exit.

Last edited by SpectralShade: 11-30-2010 at 12:04 PM.
SpectralShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #14
kovi_cz

CINEMAX
Lamento: I do get it. I know this bug should have been fixed weeks ago (as I already said it wasn't there originally, but it somehow appeared in one of later patches), but I'm not the one to do that and all I can do about it is keep reminding that to my colleagues, but then it's up to their schedule.

And don't forget that there is a simple way how to avoid this bug...
Old 01-29-2011, 07:40 AM   #15
AllFunk3dUp

Quote:
And don't forget that there is a simple way how to avoid this bug...
Well, only if your aware of it first... I only know about it now because I've come here trying to figure out whats going on with my game, its almost February now can you give us an idea as to when, if ever, we can expect this to be fixed? I've been using two save points but as I didn't realise it was a bug, both are now after the point I've been through the door, so useless.

It's a shame because I've really enjoyed the game so far but I'm not about to wipe 11 hours of game time and start again, I've already played through childhood twice because the game decided to make me a ranged character even though I hardly used the bow compared to the other paths.

Incidently with the same character I'm also stuck on the Hidden Treasure of the Nile quest where Mynnakos in Cyrene says someone in town has his goods and I have to find them, I've looked everywhere but I've no idea where the goods are or what I have to do. Lysikles still has a greeen quest symbol above his head but when I talk to him all I get is "welcome friend what can I do for you" and an end dialogue button. Not sure if he has anything to do with it, whether the quest is broken, whether I'm missing the obvious or whether my save game is just totally corrupted.

I'd be really grateful if you could let us know asap whats happening about this issue... if I should wait for a patch or simply take this one on the chin and delete & move on to a different game.

Cheers.

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > M - P > Numen: Contest of Heroes