Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther

Old 02-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
k3Ck

Thumbs up *SPOLERS* B**DS**T

You're reborn as a bird. Before the end of the game we see this room...

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/52...DA42CE70CC6C4/

There are 3 eggs in the nest. These are the 3 others that died, to be reborn as birds also. Towards the very end you can also see a shadow of a bird on the ground as you're flying, that is your shadow. The black screen at the end right after we the shadow could be because birds are born blind but can still hear (the ocean at the end). So it's sort of like your a blind bird waiting for food and help, like you would be if you were stranded on an island.

tl;dr you're reborn as a bird.

+Rep if you agree with my thoughts.

Last edited by k3Ck: 02-16-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
freakintiger

I like your thoughts on this, but I won't agree with you. Because this is your interpretation. Dear Esther lets you think for yourself, it doesn't tell you precisely what happens/happened. And I like it that way. I have drawn my own conclusion(s).

Still, nice thoughts.
freakintiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:27 PM   #3
smokeydubbs

You clearly see a bird shadow at the end. I don't think the entire tale is literal. But, to me, it's pretty clear the player avatar turns into bird.

I don't get what happened.

Spoiler:
I think the narrator killed those two while drunk driving. In his drunk/medicated head after the crash, he learns all of this and manifests it as an island. The island is a metaphor of the pain hes going through. I'm assuming Ester was related to him, possibly his child, through all the 2nd person references to him/her. Then the bits about Paul Jacobson being a shepard, that throws me off.

I'm fairly confused.
smokeydubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
TitanClash

Esther isn't related to him. At the end he refers to her as Esther Donnely, so she's one of the two people he worked with, and fell in love with. The other was Jacobson. Both have their full names revealed at the end.
TitanClash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Borrachofunk69

Exactly what happened, I couldn't stop weeping every time the sea gull's shadow trekked across the earth...

The story is explained throughout the monologues.

You (Man) was driving along with your wife Esther Donnelly when Paul Jacobson crashed into you. Esther was killed in the crash, Paul and the Man survived. The Man poured all his resources into understanding the how's and why's of the accident when in truth it was the loss and grief that mattered, not the circumstances. The Man walked away from the accident with a busted leg, resulting in a limp.

As his sorrow mounted, he committed suicide, after reconciling with Paul and admitting to him that it really was nobody's fault. The heart-shattering finale sequence is a re-enactment of his suicide and the bird/soul allegory absolutely gorgeous.
Borrachofunk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
smokeydubbs

Well, some of the earlier narration I heard in my one play through, said stuff to Ester about her birth. Then later said she visited him when was in the hospital at one point. I know he refers to them both as both their first and last names throughout the story, so that's part of why I'm confused.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #7
Borrachofunk69

The island with all it's markings represents his soul, tied up in sorrow. Every element and bit of the story comes through if you explore everything. The fact that he refers to his wife with her full name in the end does not mean they were "unrelated".

He tried to blame Paul for being a drunk and causing the accident but that was not the case. The Man's car had brake failure and the road was slippery, it was fatal and inevitable. Paul was successfully resuscitated by paramedics, Esther was lost. Narrator walked away with a busted leg.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:44 PM   #8
smokeydubbs

So your saying most of the first 2 chapters are purely metaphor, aka Jacobson being a shepard, and the narrator slipping down the cliff to break his leg? As much as I agree, much of is a metaphor. But there is more to pull away from it.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
Borrachofunk69

Yes. The entire island is a metaphor and only near the end, the Man breaks down and reveals actual facts. Even in the very beginning though, you can see the chemical types for both alcohol and the drug he mentions later on, under moonlight.

Even if the finer points are up in the air, this is about his grief and suicide over the loss of his lover and how no matter how he tried to look at it, there really was no one to blame for that horrible accident.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
chmerchor

I wrote this in another post:

Well, after reading the mod script, its clear Esther Donelly is a different persona than the Donelly mentioned in many parts of the game. Thats because Donelly is referred as a HIM. Maybe Esther is the widow? the daugther? and the player feels guilty of causing the death of Donelly, so he "writes" letters to Esther Donelly as an apology?
So the narrator says that Donelly was first in the island, but didnt reach the mountain and died home. So i think he refers that Donelly died first, so he made the first travel to the island.
And the guilty feelings drives him to commit suicide.... so he reaches the island after Donelly....well, thats another theory
chmerchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 08:10 PM   #11
k3Ck

Whoever first reloaded the ending black screen, nice catch. You can indeed see two trails ("parallel vapor lines") in the sky like the kind jets leave. Interesting.

You have to look closely...

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/52...DCE982DF57992/
k3Ck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:08 PM   #12
rjorekit

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrachofunk69 View Post
Exactly what happened, I couldn't stop weeping every time the sea gull's shadow trekked across the earth...

The story is explained throughout the monologues.

You (Man) was driving along with your wife Esther Donnelly when Paul Jacobson crashed into you. Esther was killed in the crash, Paul and the Man survived. The Man poured all his resources into understanding the how's and why's of the accident when in truth it was the loss and grief that mattered, not the circumstances. The Man walked away from the accident with a busted leg, resulting in a limp.

As his sorrow mounted, he committed suicide, after reconciling with Paul and admitting to him that it really was nobody's fault. The heart-shattering finale sequence is a re-enactment of his suicide and the bird/soul allegory absolutely gorgeous.

I pretty much agree, with some exceptions...

I think the narrator was injured badly in the accident and is either in a coma and is dreaming of the island, or the island is sort of a purgatory he passes through between the time of the accident and the time of his death (however long that takes to occur.)

The narration is a mixture of his memories and things he wishes he could say to Esther. He's written her these letters and wants to send them to her but doesn't know how since she's gone. In a way, the letters symbolize his desperate attempts to cling to the past.

The shipwreck is a metaphor for the car crash and his being stranded on the island as a result of the shipwreck is a metaphor for being trapped at least temporarily in this purgatory or whatever you wish to call it.

As he makes his way through the island, uncovering bits and pieces of his past, he's also coming to terms with what happened. The suicide at the end isn't his way of giving up. It's his way of accepting Esther's death and his own. As he jumps off the cliff, he's about to hit the beach but instead flies up and away, passing over the sunken remains of his letters to Esther. Essentially, in real life he allows himself to die and move on to be with her.

Things that support this are the short scene in the cave that takes place under water on a submerged section of highway with one lone hospital bed. (hers? his?) (the highway was where the accident took place) As well as all the candle-lit shrines to the car debris, photographs, and hospital equipment he comes across on the beach.

thoughts?
rjorekit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:21 PM   #13
HeroOfHappyland

I think the narrator probably IS in the hospital, as rjorekit said, but I believe he's in the hospital because of his kidney stones that are mentioned at multiple points in the game. The island, filled with its metaphors, and allusions, is just a hallucination caused by the anesthesia. Perhaps there are complications during the surgery, and he dies, and flies away to be with Esther for eternity.

Last edited by HeroOfHappyland: 02-15-2012 at 09:24 PM.
HeroOfHappyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #14
Cthulhu923

Also notice at the end just when the screen fades to black. The music fades to a dull and constant beep followed by the narrator saying "come back!". The beep could be a "flatline" of a life support machine. Is all of this happening between the car accident and the trip to the hospital? SO INTERESTING!
Cthulhu923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
Borrachofunk69

You both raise very valid points and I quite agree. Hands down, Esther is pure ing brilliance

Go Back   Steam Users' Forums > Steam Game Discussions > D - G > Dear Esther